ARRL Drops Fire Fox

Pete N4KW

If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using FireFox do not try.
I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and log into
your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support FireFox.

One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of the old software.

73, Pete, N4KW

Pete Smith

what new ARRL software?  I agree, Firefox isn't so non-mainstream as not to be supported.  Of did you mean the new ARRL website?

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 4/22/2022 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:

If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using FireFox do not try.
I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and log into
your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support FireFox.

One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of the old software.

73, Pete, N4KW

Joe Subich, W4TV

I asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password
and log into your new software, I was advised that the new software
does not support FireFox.
I'm able to use FireFox but it was a struggle.

1) Using Tools -> Settings -> Privacy and Security in Firefox,
delete the saved log-in to ARRL.org
2) Go to ARRL.org and click Login
3) At the login screen, enter your e-mail as the user name
and click "Forgot Password?" The system will send a new,
temporary password to your e-mail. Use that information
to log-in and change your password.

This generally occurs because FireFox is using stored log-in credentials
that no longer meet the minimum standards for the new "Personify" back
end for ARRL.org. Just another example of the incompetence of ARRL's
IT department and Director of Operations for failing to properly
transition the user file and failing to properly train the support
staff to assist users who fall victim to the incompetence.

On 2022-04-22 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:
If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using
FireFox do not try.
I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and
log into
your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support
FireFox.
One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of
the old software.
73, Pete, N4KW

Pete N4KW

I have just been informed that a friend has his up and running using FireFox.  I would say that the information I received earlier was not correct.
FireFox is not the Peferred browser, but that does not mean it will not work.  Please disregard my below email., I was going with what I was told by
a ARRL Representative.
Sorry, Pete, N4KW

On 4/22/2022 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:

If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using FireFox do not try.
I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and log into
your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support FireFox.

One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of the old software.

73, Pete, N4KW

BILL KENNAMER

No problem with Firefox here.

On 2022-04-22 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:
> If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using
> FireFox do not try.
> I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and
> log into
> your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support
> FireFox.
>
> One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of
> the old software.
>
> 73, Pete, N4KW

Dave Fugleberg

Firefox seems to work fine on ARRL.org here. All users had to re-register on the new site, which apparently uses personifygo.com for that functionality. I used Firefox to do this.

Once I registered, I was able to log in and navigate the site (also using Firefox).

I do not store credentials in the browser, so did not get hung up with that.
73 de W0ZF

On 2022-04-22 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:
> If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using
> FireFox do not try.
> I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and
> log into
> your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support
> FireFox.
>
> One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of
> the old software.
>
> 73, Pete, N4KW

Phil Cooper

Hi all,

Until now, I had not logged out, so was using my old settings, but today, I did the decent thing, and logged out, and then back in again.

I completed the log in procedure without any issues whatsoever, and all on Firefox.

It all seemed to work very easily here….

73 de Phil GU0SUP

On 2022-04-22 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:
> If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using
> FireFox do not try.
> I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and
> log into
> your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support
> FireFox.
>
> One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of
> the old software.
>
> 73, Pete, N4KW

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 12:30 PM Phil Cooper via groups.io
<pcooper@...> wrote:

Until now, I had not logged out, so was using my old settings, but today, I did the decent thing, and logged out, and then back in again.

I completed the log in procedure without any issues whatsoever, and all on Firefox.

It all seemed to work very easily here….
I can log in with FF as my browser but changing my password seems
problematic. When I use the credentials saved in my browser, I get in
to the ARRL.org site fine. When I use those same credentials to try
to reset my password (by this time, you are on Personify's
infrastructure), I am told that my password is invalid.

So, sure, FF works ... just that the definition of "works" may not be
what you expect. I'll try it in Safari later.

Jim N7US

Same here using Chrome.

My USERID used to be my call, but it seems to be my email now.

Jim N7US
Sent from Samsung tablet

<pcooper@...> wrote:

> Until now, I had not logged out, so was using my old settings, but today, I did the decent thing, and logged out, and then back in again.
>
> I completed the log in procedure without any issues whatsoever, and all on Firefox.
>
> It all seemed to work very easily here….

I can log in with FF as my browser but changing my password seems
problematic.  When I use the credentials saved in my browser, I get in
to the ARRL.org site fine.  When I use those same credentials to try
to reset my password (by this time, you are on Personify's
infrastructure), I am told that my password is invalid.

So, sure, FF works ... just that the definition of "works" may not be
what you expect.  I'll try it in Safari later.

Pete Smith

That'll teach you, Pete ;^).  Seriously, though, it has seemed to me recently that site after site has rolled out new software withouut adequate testing.  I went on IRS.GOV the other day to pay my taxes electronically, as I have for several years, and found myself to undergo a convoluted and complex identity verification routine involving (among other things) having to send in pictures of the front and back of my driver's license, all to satisfy something called ID.me which taking over the ID functions on the IRS web site.

On 4/22/2022 12:36 PM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:

I have just been informed that a friend has his up and running using FireFox.  I would say that the information I received earlier was not correct.
FireFox is not the Peferred browser, but that does not mean it will not work.  Please disregard my below email., I was going with what I was told by
a ARRL Representative.
Sorry, Pete, N4KW

On 4/22/2022 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:
If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using FireFox do not try.
I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and log into
your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support FireFox.

One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of the old software.

73, Pete, N4KW

Joe WB9SBD

What do you do if you lived all your life like downtown of any major city where like thousands never ever bothered getting a drivers license?

Joe WB9SBD / W9ET

On 4/22/2022 2:04 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

[...]

Dave AA6YQ

Four years ago, the ARRL spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to purchase a license to Personify, but failed to properly scope the effort required to integrate Personify with the ARRL's existing infrastructure and applications. As a result, ARRL management re-assigned the software developers who'd just finished adding WAZ support to LOTW to work on Personify integration (and re-implementation of the DXCC system, which evidently failed). Had those developersinstead been allowed to continue to work on LoTW, we'd likely have support for IOTA, USA-CA, JARL, and DARC awards, support for on-air activities like NPOTA, Centennial, and Grid Chase, and would have early iterations of a new user interface that could be localized to languages other than English, just as TQSL has been localized to ~15 languages.

The Personify roll-out was terrible. User IDs were silently changed to email addresses without notice, much less approval. ARRL staff were not trained to answer obvious questions; the false "ARRL Drops FireFox" meme is but one example. The user community has been given no explanation of the benefits of incorporating Personify; my request for this explanation on the ARRL-LoTW group has gone unanswered.

Software is eating the world, and that includes amateur radio and the ARRL. Providing high-quality information and services to members are table stakes. The ARRL's current management clearly needs help, but defensively rejects it when offered. On its current path, the ARRL is headed for a slow, ugly descent to oblivion - the bungled Personify acquisition and roll-out being just the latest episode . Don't like it? Engage with your ARRL Director.

Pete Smith

I believe there were alternatives, but that was the easiest.

On 4/22/2022 3:22 PM, Joe WB9SBD wrote:

[...]

Hi all, and Peter N5UWY,

You said that changing your password was a problem...
Well, I was logged in to the ARRL website in Firefox, with my old username/password, so I logged out, and tried the login process, which asked me to register, which I did, and got an email from them with a one-time-password, which I used, and was able to log in with no problem.
As I said, it all went very smoothly.

I have now tried it from another PC, using Firefox, and my (new) username/password work just fine.

I wonder if it may be an issue with which Windows version you are using, or maybe something else?

73 de Phil GU0SUP

<pcooper@...> wrote:

[...]

+ Empirically, about 20% of ARRL members had difficulty with the Personify roll-out; I was one of them.

+ That these difficulties would occur was highly predictable. Testing to identify incompatibilities, and communication before the roll-out with members who would need to change their user names, passwords, or email forwarding rules would have made for a smooth, professional roll-out.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 4:17 PM Phil Cooper via groups.io
<pcooper@...> wrote:

I wonder if it may be an issue with which Windows version you are using, or maybe something else?
Meh, fully patched W10 whatever the current "H" is. Likewise FF is current.

If I *ever* make it to my laptop today, we'll see what happens with Safari.

I'm smart enough to know that just because *I* am having trouble that
it doesn't mean that *everyone* is having trouble.

Norm - KC1BMD

FYI:
In "ARRL Current - April" - if you are a member, you may get it electronically. There was an article about it:

Membership
ARRL has launched a new platform, which now allows you to join, renew, shop, and donate all in one transaction. For assistance logging in to , follow these instructions so you can access ARRL features and services.  or at this link: https://www.arrl.org/login-instructions?_zs=CWpxl&_zl=3T1B2

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Joe - W9RF

During the transition I updated my password without any problems.

Now tonight after all the chatter about Firefox not working, I thought I would try to log on, my password did not work.

So I requested a reset and this is what I got after I reset my password  User Account is Locked out.

So I guess I will no longer be logging on to arrl.org

ONE GIANT LEAP BACKWARDS FOR PAYING CUSTOMERS!

By the way, I too am using the newest version of Firefox.

W9RF - Joe

On 2022-04-22 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:
> If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using
> FireFox do not try.
> I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and
> log into
> your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support
> FireFox.
>
> One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of
> the old software.
>
> 73, Pete, N4KW

Stan Gammons

I was able to change my password without any trouble.  Logged out and logged back in again using the new password. I'm using Firefox 99.0 on Kubuntu 20.04

I don't save passwords with any browser. I use a password manager to keep up with all of my passwords. With all of the sites I log into, there is no way I can remember all of the passwords.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

On 2022-04-22 11:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:
> If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using
> FireFox do not try.
> I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and
> log into
> your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support
> FireFox.
>
> One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of
> the old software.
>
> 73, Pete, N4KW

Kim Elmore

Apparently I'm some kind of monumental lid.

I have tried every browser available on WIN10 and iOS, using Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, and,  MS Edge and cannot get a one-time password sent to any of my email addresses (I have four available). I'll have to call HQ on Monday and explain my quandary as I am completely without any ideas what I have to do differently.

73,

Kim N5OP

On 4/22/2022 10:35 AM, Pete N4KW via groups.io wrote:
If you are unable to log into the new ARRL software and are using FireFox do not try.
I  asked why I have been unable to change my user name and password and log into
your new software, I was advised that the new software does not support FireFox.

One would think the new software would at least have the capabilities of the old software.

73, Pete, N4KW
--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP SEL/MEL/Glider, UAS, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

I occasionally play works by contemporary composers and for two reasons. First to discourage the composer from writing any more and secondly to remind myself how much I appreciate Beethoven." Jascha Heifetz