Reverse Beacon Spots

Anthony - N2KI

Now that the RBN has been censored from Spot Collector, does someone have a site that provides these spots?  Thanks for your help.
--

Anthony - N2KI

Henk Remijn PA5KT

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CollectingSpotsRBN

73 Henk

Op 12-1-2022 om 13:31 schreef Anthony:

Now that the RBN has been censored from Spot Collector, does someone have a site that provides these spots?  Thanks for your help.
--

Anthony - N2KI

Anthony - N2KI

Thanks Henk!
--

Anthony - N2KI

Pete Smith

See https://reversebeacon.blogspot.com/2022/01/where-to-get-rbnspots-for-users-in-last.html.  There are over 100 clusters carrying RBN CW and RTTY spots, and over 15 (listed in the article) that carry FT8 spots from us.

There was no "censorship" involved, by Dave or anyone else.  To set the record straight, we request that people *not* connect directly to the RBN's Telnet servers because those nodes are intended only to distribute spots to "retail" nodes for distribution to users.  Their software has been stripped down for speed, and does not support any filtering, without which most users would agree that the spot volume is too high to be very useful.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 1/12/2022 7:31 AM, Anthony wrote:

Now that the RBN has been censored from Spot Collector, does someone have a site that provides these spots?  Thanks for your help.
--

Anthony - N2KI

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-01-12 9:28 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

Their software has been stripped down for speed, and does not support
any filtering, without which most users would agree that the spot
volume is too high to be very useful.
Anyone who starts to get spots from a "retail" cluster that supports
skimmer spots may find that the volume is *still* too high to be useful
without filtering.

As we were testing what was released today as SC 9.0.5, I found it
necessary to turn off FT8 cluster spots to avoid bogging SC completely.
When I added a cluster with a feed from PSKreporter (those spots are
not reported to the RBN), I found it necessary to limit spots to only
a couple of "lower activity" bands (like 6m and 10m), again to avoid
bogging SC.

If you choose to enable "skimmer spots" - beware. Particularly during
contests the skimmer feeds through the retail clusters are full of
"busted" spots. For RTTY, in particular, those spots often come in
the form of an extra letter at the beginning (e.g., K1AA -> EK1AA) or
a dropped letter at the beginning (e.g. VE5AA -> E5AA or VE2ZZ -> E2ZZ).
Relying on the RBN's own busted call detection is not always enough as
the same mistake is being made by more than one independent skimmer
receiver (Q:# > 1).

On 2022-01-12 9:28 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
[...]

Andrew OBrien

I still think it is better to run CW Skimmer "skimming" signals heard via your own antenna and receiver and using SC connected to your own skimmer.
Andy K3UK

On 2022-01-12 9:28 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
> See
> https://reversebeacon.blogspot.com/2022/01/where-to-get-rbnspots-for-users-in-last.html.
> There are over 100 clusters carrying RBN CW and RTTY spots, and over 15
> (listed in the article) that carry FT8 spots from us.
>
> There was no "censorship" involved, by Dave or anyone else.  To set the
> record straight, we request that people *not* connect directly to the
> RBN's Telnet servers because those nodes are intended only to distribute
> spots to "retail" nodes for distribution to users.  Their software has
> been stripped down for speed, and does not support any filtering,
> without which most users would agree that the spot volume is too high to
> be very useful.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Check out the new Reverse Beacon Network
> web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
> For spots, please use your favorite
> "retail" DX cluster.
>
> On 1/12/2022 7:31 AM, Anthony wrote:
>> Now that the RBN has been censored from Spot Collector, does someone
>> have a site that provides these spots?  Thanks for your help.
>> --
>>
>> Anthony - N2KI

Pete Smith

Yes, but all 3 predominant cluster software packages incorporate a variety of filtering, as well as internal routines to catch many of those busted calls before they get to users.  For example, I use a filter in ARCluster V6 that restrict spotter locations to my "neighborhood", and routinely filter bands and modes for the particular contest I'm in.  Dave has just written an excellent tabulation of cluster-based commands that can be used to block spot streams that aren't of current interest in each of those major programs - DXSpider, VE7CC and AR Cluster V6 - I believe it's in the Wiki, though I can't come up with the URL right now.

On 2022-01-12 9:28 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
[...]

Or the compromise, as I have suggested, which is to filter for spots only from spotters in your "neighborhood."

On 2022-01-12 9:28 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
> See
> https://reversebeacon.blogspot.com/2022/01/where-to-get-rbnspots-for-users-in-last.html.
> There are over 100 clusters carrying RBN CW and RTTY spots, and over 15
> (listed in the article) that carry FT8 spots from us.
>
> There was no "censorship" involved, by Dave or anyone else.  To set the
> record straight, we request that people *not* connect directly to the
> RBN's Telnet servers because those nodes are intended only to distribute
> spots to "retail" nodes for distribution to users.  Their software has
> been stripped down for speed, and does not support any filtering,
> without which most users would agree that the spot volume is too high to
> be very useful.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Check out the new Reverse Beacon Network
> web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
> For spots, please use your favorite
> "retail" DX cluster.
>
> On 1/12/2022 7:31 AM, Anthony wrote:
>> Now that the RBN has been censored from Spot Collector, does someone
>> have a site that provides these spots?  Thanks for your help.
>> --
>>
>> Anthony - N2KI

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-01-12 3:35 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

For example, I use a filter in ARCluster V6 that restrict spotter
locations to my "neighborhood",
You have access to a list of all spotters who report to RBN. I do
not know of any place that information is available to the "unwashed".

Dave has just written an excellent tabulation of cluster-based
commands that can be used to block spot streams that aren't of
current interest in each of those major programs - DXSpider, VE7CC
and AR Cluster V6 - I believe it's in the Wiki, though I can't come
up with the URL right now.
Yes, it's: https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CollectingSpotsRBN>

The list of commands is one that I provided Dave early in the beta
process for what has become SpotCollector 9.0.5. Unfortunately, I
could not find complete and accurate user manuals for all three of
the major cluster "dialects". Many of the commands suggested are the
result of trial and error.

On 2022-01-12 9:28 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
[...]

ve3ki

I'm not sure why you would want a list of all spotters who report spots to the RBN, but at <http://www.reversebeacon.net/> on the home page there is a blue text box that contains the callsigns of all currently connected skimmers, and there is a more detailed list of both offline and online skimmers at <http://www.reversebeacon.net/nodes/>.

However, I believe the ARCluster v6 filter Pete is referring to is a geographical one, such as
spotterstate=[ON,QC,CT,MA,NH,NY,OH,PA,RI,VT]

73,
Rich VE3KI

On 2022-01-12 4:36 PM, ve3ki wrote:
However, I believe the ARCluster v6 filter Pete is referring to is a
geographical one, such as
spotterstate=[ON,QC,CT,MA,NH,NY,OH,PA,RI,VT]
Well and good ... however, I do not believe that CC Cluster or DX Spider
have a similar filter or one that can be applied to *only* spots sourced
from RBN.

Here are the "Manual" links for CC Cluster and DX Spider - is there a
similar *COMPLETE AND ACCURATE* manual for AR Cluster (not some "list
of filter commands useful in [limited] circumstances)?

DX Spider User Manual:
<http://www.dxcluster.org/main/usermanual_en.html>
Filtering Tutorial:
<http://www.dxcluster.org/main/filtering_en.html>

CC Cluster User Manual:
<http://bcdxc.org/ve7cc/ccc/CCC_Commands.htm>

On 2022-01-12 3:35 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
[...]

If you are looking for an ARCluster v6 manual, try <http://www.nc7j.com/arcluster/arusermanual-6/>.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On 2022-01-12 5:02 PM, ve3ki wrote:
If you are looking for an ARCluster v6 manual, try
<http://www.nc7j.com/arcluster/arusermanual-6/>.

This "manual" provides *exactly zero* information on filtering spots.

On 2022-01-12 3:35 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

[...]

+ Right - so when a DX Cluster in Japan reports that P5DX is begging on 14005 -- a minute or two before most other Clusters -- you'll miss the opportunity to make a QSO before the Cluster Hordes arrive.

+ "All DX Clusters receive all spots at the exact same time" is a fiction.

ve3ki

Click on "Command Summary", which takes you to <http://www.nc7j.com/arcluster/arusermanual-6/ARC6%20Command%20Summary.html>. Click on the "DX" group in the Overview table on that page, which takes you to <http://www.nc7j.com/arcluster/arusermanual-6/AR-Cluster%20DX.html>. Scroll down that page to find the "Set DX Filter" section. Following the table of supported fields, there are examples, followed by sections on Compound Filters, Shortcuts and Filter Macros.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On 2022-01-12 5:44 PM, ve3ki wrote:

Click on the "DX" group in the Overview table on that page, which
takes you to
<http://www.nc7j.com/arcluster/arusermanual-6/AR-Cluster%20DX.html>.
Scroll down that page to find the "Set DX Filter" section. Following the table of supported fields, there are examples, followed by
sections on Compound Filters, Shortcuts and Filter Macros.
Thank you. Navigation is not exactly clear! I've added the specific
link to my notes on using RBN.

I'll have to see if I can create a filter that passes all "human"
spots except bottom of the band spots on 160-6m and *AND* passes
skimmer spots except spots with NCDXF in the comments (NCDXF beacons)
from only [FL, GA, SC, NC, PR and VI]. That should be a good "midterm" exam.

On 2022-01-12 3:35 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

[...]

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:43 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

+ Right - so when a DX Cluster in Japan reports that P5DX is begging on 14005 -- a minute or two before most other Clusters -- you'll miss the opportunity to make a QSO before the Cluster Hordes arrive.

+ "All DX Clusters receive all spots at the exact same time" is a fiction.

       73,

Yes, that is the accepted risk.

Andy K3UK

Dave AA6YQ

See https://reversebeacon.blogspot.com/2022/01/where-to-get-rbnspots-for-users-in-last.html. There are over 100 clusters carrying RBN CW and RTTY spots, and over 15 (listed in the article) that carry FT8 spots from us.

There was no "censorship" involved, by Dave or anyone else. To set the record straight, we request that people *not* connect directly to the RBN's Telnet servers because those nodes are intended only to distribute spots to "retail" nodes for distribution to users. Their software has been stripped down for speed, and does not support any filtering, without which most users would agree that the spot volume is too high to be very useful.

+ With SpotCollector optimized for handling a high spot volume (prune hourly to the minimum spot database size, "maximum separation in time" set to 5 minutes), SpotCollector on my 3.5 GHz i7 16 GB RAM system can keep up on 4 DX Clusters -- one of which is N6WS with RBN CW and RTTY spots enabled -- DX Summit, and a local instance of WSJT-X monitoring a busy FT8 sub-band.

+ The only reason to configure SpotCollector in this way is that if you're a brand new DXer (or CQ DX Marathon participant in early January) who needs everything. though I doubt that the RBN spots would significantly accelerate you progress to 200 countries worked.

+ For DXers, the point of maintaining a non-trivial Spot Database is to eliminate the visual clutter from seeing multiple spots of the same station on the same band and mode, enable you to determine the activity pattern of needed stations, and enable you to identify propagation openings between your QTH and needed stations. Past 200 countries worked, a high percentage of RBN spots will be of no-needed stations -- though these spots can help identify propagation openings.

+ The trick with RBN spots, like with any other power tool, is to use them when they will help you, and avoid them when they won't.

+ The value proposition for Contesters is entirely different, since in many contests, every unique callsign represents an opportunity to increase one's score.

I still think it is better to run CW Skimmer "skimming" signals heard via your own antenna and receiver and using SC connected to your own skimmer.

+ I do a similar thing with a local instance of WSJT-X monitoring FT8 on a band of interest. It's a great way to monitor propagation; here's 40m at this moment:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/40m%20FT8%202022-01-12.jpg