WARNING about Windows 11

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Microsoft has decided to automatically turn on data encryption in Windows! 11. Not sure if on home but I read an article by the  reporter on Minneapolis paper that it did on his home edition. THEY DO NOT TELL YOU WHERE THE KEY IS OR WHAT IT IS. If your system fails you have just lost your data. Go to settings and TURN IT OFF

.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

BILL KENNAMER

Where under settings do you find this?

Hard to stay ahead of what Microsoft is doing to you that you don't know about.

K5FUV

On Monday, November 1, 2021, 07:45:34 AM CDT, Gilbert Baron W0MN <w0mn00@...> wrote:

Microsoft has decided to automatically turn on data encryption in Windows! 11. Not sure if on home but I read an article by the  reporter on Minneapolis paper that it did on his home edition. THEY DO NOT TELL YOU WHERE THE KEY IS OR WHAT IT IS. If your system fails you have just lost your data. Go to settings and TURN IT OFF

.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

g4wjs

On 01/11/2021 12:45, Gilbert Baron W0MN wrote:

Microsoft has decided to automatically turn on data encryption in Windows! 11. Not sure if on home but I read an article by the  reporter on Minneapolis paper that it did on his home edition. THEY DO NOT TELL YOU WHERE THE KEY IS OR WHAT IT IS. If your system fails you have just lost your data. Go to settings and TURN IT OFF

.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Gil,

that may be an over-reaction. BitLocker has been around since Windows 8 and is a good thing if you want to protect your personal data. I believe MS announced some time ago that it would be enabled by default for Windows 11. What matters is where the decryption and recovery keys are stored. If I understand correctly, if you use a microsoft account (MSA) to log in to your PC then the keys are stored there, but if you PC has an enabled TPM chip then they are stored there thus allowing you to operate without being tied to a MSA. I have not researched this in depth so may be slight off on the details.

Is there a Windows 11 Home edition? Home editions of 8, 8.1, and 10 did not have BitLocker available by default.

Bill

G4WJS.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 8:46 AM g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:
Gil,

that may be an over-reaction. BitLocker has been around since Windows 8 and is a good thing if you want to protect your personal data. I believe MS announced some time ago that it would be enabled by default for Windows 11. What matters is where the decryption and recovery keys are stored. If I understand correctly, if you use a microsoft
An over-reaction? That *never* happens! :-D

My company required disk encryption on my company-supplied MacBook Pro
several years ago. Turned it on, OS X did it's thing, and that was
that. Never noticed it since. No performance impact that I can
detect. This discussion did cause me to realize that I really don't
know where the keys are!! :-D I suspect they are tied to my Apple ID
(same as having a M$ account) but I will google here in a bit to see.
I should also check to see if it also encrypts my TimeMachine backup
disk and images. USB keys are becoming an issue in real IT
environments and I guess I need to educate myself on that as well - I
do know that none of the USB drive encryption services that are
included in MacOS or Windows are cross-platform.

Hopefully, Bitlocker works as smoothly/silently as Apples unbranded
disk encryption. Good luck! :-D

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 10:38 AM Peter Laws / N5UWY via groups.io
<plaws0@...> wrote:

Hopefully, Bitlocker works as smoothly/silently as Apples unbranded
disk encryption. Good luck! :-D
Actually, it's apparently branded "FileVault". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kurt Cathcart

If you go into the Bitlocker console, there is an option to back up the key.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 11/1/2021 9:46 AM, g4wjs wrote:
[...]

Pete W1RM

This site shows how to turn encryption on and off:

https://gearupwindows.com/how-to-enable-or-disable-device-encryption-on-windows-11/

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1RM@...

[...]

Bernd - KB7AK

I use Bitlocker for more than 6 years I believe. It is designed to protect your data, and it works. It's hard to believe that people start screaming about it, when you should be embracing it.

You can turn it on or off. If you opt in, you have the choice where you want the encryptions key stored. It's all in your hands.

73,
Bernd - KB7AK

Gilbert Baron W0MN

That is NOT what I am talking of. I refer to DEVICE encryption. This is done by the device. Bitlocker is not involved and Pro version is not required.

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 1:08 PM Gilbert Baron W0MN <w0mn00@...> wrote:

That is NOT what I am talking of. I refer to DEVICE encryption. This is done by the device. Bitlocker is not involved and Pro version is not required.

Can you post to a link on Microsoft's site that explains this feature?

Don Kerouac K9NR

No worries.  Microsoft had stated without reservation that Windows 10 will be the absolutely, positively last version of Windoze!

There will be no Windows 11 or 12, etc. that you will have to put up with!

Microsoft has further stated that with the release of Window 11, the release date of Windows 12 has been pushed back a bit and

that work on Windows 13 are just false rumors.

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I tried W11 on my new Lenovo LT. Lots of strange behaviors. Even though W prompted me to upgrade DON’T. Before you do make sure that you have good backups. I id not need backup and the return to W10 option worked BUT YMMV.