Joe Subich, W4TV

Isn't WSJTX configured to "prompt me to log QSO"?

Normally that setting (File -> Settings -> Reporting) will cause
WSJTX to pop-up a box with the QSO information and clicking
OK will cause the QSO to be logged in DXKeeper (if DXLab
Suite is properly configured and/or JTAlert is also running).

Yes, that log prompt does pop-up on receipt of RR73; if WSJTX
is in "Hound" mode.

On 2021-10-31 9:06 AM, Markku SM5FLM via groups.io wrote:
I made a fox/hound FT8 qso today (7P8RU), but I'm not sure what happened. I assume the qso was correct because I received an <my-call  RR73> message. But the DXKeeper did not log the qso and no upload was done to LOTW or eqsl. I haven't worked fox/hound FT8 before, so maybe I have settings wrong.
Any tips?

Mick

On occasion a QSO will fail to log. Unsure why it happens. A manual log of the Q would be needed.
It usually only fails once and works near flawlessly after. (at least in my experience)
The RR73  was confirming the  contact
Nice capture BTW.

On occasion a QSO will fail to log. Unsure why it happens. A manual log of the Q would be needed.
It usually only fails once and works near flawlessly after. (at least in my experience)
The RR73  was confirming the  contact
Nice capture BTW.

+ Are you anti-malware applications configured to consider each of your amateur radio applications to be "safe" -- including each of your DXLab applications and applications like JTAlert?

g4wjs

On 31/10/2021 13:06, Markku SM5FLM via groups.io wrote:
I made a fox/hound FT8 qso today (7P8RU), but I'm not sure what happened. I assume the qso was correct because I received an <my-call RR73> message. But the DXKeeper did not log the qso and no upload was done to LOTW or eqsl. I haven't worked fox/hound FT8 before, so maybe I have settings wrong.
Any tips?
Hi Markku,

WSJT-X does not use or understand messages like "K1ABC RR73; F1XYZ <P5DX> -10" in normal FT8 mode, they are not used except by Fox stations in FT8 DXpedition Mode. One of the features of Hound mode is to correctly parse and act on those type of messages.

MSHV with its "multi-stream" mode *does* use those type of messages in its half-baked implementation of FT8 DXpedition Mode so if you try and work a station using that variant you will find that QSOs ending or starting with that type of message will not progress as expected. For QSO starting it is probably OK as nothing is lost and the QSO may well continue later if they send a normal FT8 report message. For QSOs ending with that message its not so good as the Log QSO dialog will not be popped up automatically so you must remember to press the "Log QSO" button yourself.

The next version of WSJT-X will parse the above message type and act on it correctly.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill