support for rigctl

George KF7NN

i have 2 transceivers on 2 seperate com ports controlled by hamlib rigctl
is there any support to connect to the hamlib interface on a port instead of connecting the rig thru a serial port?

thanks

g4wjs

On 11/10/2021 17:40, KF7NN wrote:
i have 2 transceivers on 2 seperate com ports controlled by hamlib rigctl
is there any support to connect to the hamlib interface on a port instead of connecting the rig thru a serial port?

thanks

Hi George,

I think that may be possible by using a Hamlib utility called rigctlcom, it can connect to a Hamlib rigctld server and also emulates basic TS-2000 rig. You would connect to it using a virtual serial loopback service like com0com (or socat on *nix style systems). It is also a full Hamlib rigctl client so can connect directly to any Hamlib supported rig, thereby converting the CAT interface to a basic TS-2000 emulation.

Having said that, I just tried it to interface with my Icom IC-756 starting it on a serial port loopback pair COM18 - COM19 like this:

rigctlcom -m 3026 -r COM5 -s 19200 -p COM5 -P RTS -R COM18 -S 19200

then tried to connect to as if a Kenwood rig on COM19 19200 baud 8N1 from Commander. It didn't work quite as it should but it was trying to work. YMMV with the rig(s) you are using.

Bill

G4WJS.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below:
i have 2 transceivers on 2 seperate com ports controlled by hamlib rigctl
is there any support to connect to the hamlib interface on a port instead of connecting the rig thru a serial port?

+ No. If you want Commander to control a transceiver connected to COM port X, first direct hamlib to close COM port X.

I think that may be possible by using a Hamlib utility called rigctlcom, it can connect to a Hamlib rigctld server and also emulates basic TS-2000 rig. You would connect to it using a virtual serial loopback service like com0com (or socat on *nix style systems). It is also a full Hamlib rigctl client so can connect directly to any Hamlib supported rig, thereby converting the CAT interface to a basic TS-2000 emulation.

Having said that, I just tried it to interface with my Icom IC-756 starting it on a serial port loopback pair COM18 - COM19 like this:

rigctlcom -m 3026 -r COM5 -s 19200 -p COM5 -P RTS -R COM18 -S 19200

then tried to connect to as if a Kenwood rig on COM19 19200 baud 8N1 from Commander. It didn't work quite as it should but it was trying to work. YMMV with the rig(s) you are using.

+ That's not a supported configuration.

g4wjs

On 11/10/2021 18:31, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I think that may be possible by using a Hamlib utility called rigctlcom, it can connect to a Hamlib rigctld server and also emulates basic TS-2000 rig. You would connect to it using a virtual serial loopback service like com0com (or socat on *nix style systems). It is also a full Hamlib rigctl client so can connect directly to any Hamlib supported rig, thereby converting the CAT interface to a basic TS-2000 emulation.

Having said that, I just tried it to interface with my Icom IC-756 starting it on a serial port loopback pair COM18 - COM19 like this:

rigctlcom -m 3026 -r COM5 -s 19200 -p COM5 -P RTS -R COM18 -S 19200

then tried to connect to as if a Kenwood rig on COM19 19200 baud 8N1 from Commander. It didn't work quite as it should but it was trying to work. YMMV with the rig(s) you are using.

+ That's not a supported configuration.

Dave,

surely that depends only on the quality of emulation of the TS-2000 by the rigctlcom application? If it were a perfect TS-2000 emulation (not that I am saying it is) then it would be indistinguishable from a real TS-2000!

Bill

G4WJS.

surely that depends only on the quality of emulation of the TS-2000 by the rigctlcom application?

+ There's no justification for time spent debugging that emulation for one transceiver, much less for many transceivers.

g4wjs

On 11/10/2021 18:42, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

surely that depends only on the quality of emulation of the TS-2000 by the rigctlcom application?

+ There's no justification for time spent debugging that emulation for one transceiver, much less for many transceivers.

Dave,

no one is asking you to do that, OTOH the Hamlib team might appreciate feedback on a utility they provide for exactly the purpose the OP was seeking.

Bill

G4WJS.

no one is asking you to do that, OTOH the Hamlib team might appreciate feedback on a utility they provide for exactly the purpose the OP was seeking.

+ Any transceiver control problem report involving Hamlib will produce the response "connect your transceiver directly to Commander".

Adrian Fewster

I was also looking for Rigctld server support in Commander today.
I use a node red FTDX101 flow that connects to rigctld server running on the windows host.
Setting wsjtx to rigctld also allows the node red setup to work properly, however I have to use fake it instead of
rigsplit, as The sub freq is no longer set via rigctld. Setting Commander to the shared splitter comport allows the SPE to follow
main vfo but with follow alternate disabled.

73

vk4tux

I was also looking for Rigctld server support in Commander today.
I use a node red FTDX101 flow that connects to rigctld server running on the windows host.
Setting wsjtx to rigctld also allows the node red setup to work properly, however I have to use fake it instead of
rigsplit, as The sub freq is no longer set via rigctld. Setting Commander to the shared splitter comport allows the SPE to follow
main vfo but with follow alternate disabled.

+ As I've stated earlier in this thread, Commander does not support rigctld or hamlib.