WinWarbler Deja Vu

Jim Denneny

Same problem here. Cycled through all com ports searching for PTT.  Switched K3S from VOX to PTT. Cannot key rig from WW..

Jim K7EG

Jim Denneny

Set K3S Config PTT to DTR & RTS.  VOX turned off. Ran through all com ports in WW Config.  No PTT.  It would be nice to use WW but it is not a big deal

Jim K7EG

g4wjs

On 02/08/2021 17:04, Jim Denneny wrote:
Set K3S Config PTT to DTR & RTS.  VOX turned off. Ran through all com ports in WW Config.  No PTT.  It would be nice to use WW but it is not a big deal

Jim K7EG
Jim,

do you use Commander?

Bill

G4WJS.

Jim Denneny

Hi Bill.  Sometimes.  What am I missing?

g4wjs

On 02/08/2021 17:20, Jim Denneny wrote:
Hi Bill. Sometimes.  What am I missing?
Hi Jim,

if Commander can key your rig then you should have WW defer to Commander for PTT "Xcvr Ctrl App" on the Config->PTT panel of WW.

Bill

G4WJS.

Same problem here. Cycled through all com ports searching for PTT.  Switched K3S from VOX to PTT. Cannot key rig from WW..

+ There are 3 ways for WinWarbler to switch a K3 between RX and TX:

1. configure WinWarbler to use a serial port modem control signal that drives a level-conversion interface connected to the K3's "SEND" input

2. configure Commander to use a serial port modem control signal that drives a level-conversion interface connected to the K3's "SEND" input, and configure WinWarbler to use Commander for RX-TX switching

3. configure Commander to send CAT commands to the K3 for RX-TX switching, , and configure WinWarbler to use Commander for RX-TX switching

+ See "Switching a Transceiver between Reception and Transmission" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PTTMechanism

Joe Subich, W4TV

What did you change in your computer?

Reload the Workspace that you saved the last time WinWarbler was working
correctly. You did save a workspace as recommended in the documentation
- didn't you?

Set K3S Config PTT to DTR & RTS.
If you are using Config PTT - it can be *either* DTR *or* RTS. Determine
which one, set Commander's PRIMARY CAT SERIAL PORT for "TX" on DTR or
RTS as appropriate, Check the "Suppress CAT" box on Commander's Config
-> General tab and Configure WinWarbler for "Xcvr Ctrl App" on the PTT
tab in its Config Dialog.

When you get it working, *SAVE A WORKSPACE* so you can retrieve the
settings the next time you break it.

On 2021-08-02 12:04 PM, Jim Denneny wrote:
Set K3S Config PTT to DTR & RTS.  VOX turned off. Ran through all com ports in WW Config.  No PTT.  It would be nice to use WW but it is not a big deal
Jim K7EG

Jim Denneny

Joe, I don't recall any change.  Verified CONFIG - PTT is set for RTS.  I switch K3s from VOX to PTT. I have walked WW PTT ports from 5 through 10 with no PTT keying WW.  For test purposes, I select CALL button.  Call scrolls through the WW window but K3s does not key.

I have no problem running with winkeyer standalone with radio in VOX mode.  Unfortunately WW will not key radio in VOX mode but Winkeyer can key radio in VOX but not PTT.

Joe, I don't recall any change. Verified CONFIG - PTT is set for RTS. I switch K3s from VOX to PTT. I have walked WW PTT ports from 5 through 10 with no PTT keying WW. For test purposes, I select CALL button. Call scrolls through the WW window but K3s does not key.

I have no problem running with winkeyer standalone with radio in VOX mode. Unfortunately WW will not key radio in VOX mode but Winkeyer can key radio in VOX but not PTT.

+ Jim, you are coming at this backwards. We don't go searching for COM ports to find out which one might switch your K3 from RX to TX.

+ What make and model interface are you using to enable a serial port modem control signal to switch your K3 between RX and TX? To which COM port is it connected? Which modem control signal does it use?

Jim Denneny

Joe.  How do I "Save a workspace"?  Got PTT working as you described using DTR.  Had to select CW Keying as Win-Key on Com 10

Jim Denneny

Thanks again Joe

Found Workspace in CONFIG.  Selected WinWarbler. Selected Save Settings to Workspace.  Saved WW

Joe Subich, W4TV

I have walked WW PTT ports from 5 through 10 with no PTT keying WW.
If you are using the KIO3B I/O card for the K3, PTT is *always* on
the same port as CAT. Commander can only generate PTT on the Primary
CAT Serial Port.

but Winkeyer can key radio in VOX but not PTT.
If you are using a WinKeyer, it will generate its own PTT. Connect
a PTT cable from the PTT jack on WinKeyer to the PTT jack on the
back panel of the K3. Note: there is no way for WinWarbler to *NOT*
generate PTT with WinKeyer (if you want QSK/VOX operation in CW, you
must disconnect the PTT cable between WinKeyer and the rig).

Unfortunately WW will not key radio in VOX mode but Winkeyer can
key radio in VOX but not PTT.
If the hardware is connected properly and the software configured
correctly, both will work in VOX. The K3 has separate VOX status
for SSB/DATA and CW - VOX must be turned on separately for each
"mode group". Please take the time to study your transceiver's
owners manual and learn how it functions.

On 2021-08-02 6:07 PM, Jim Denneny wrote:
Joe, I don't recall any change.  Verified CONFIG - PTT is set for RTS.  I switch K3s from VOX to PTT. I have walked WW PTT ports from 5 through 10 with no PTT keying WW.  For test purposes, I select CALL button.  Call scrolls through the WW window but K3s does not key.
I have no problem running with winkeyer standalone with radio in VOX mode.  Unfortunately WW will not key radio in VOX mode but Winkeyer can key radio in VOX but not PTT.

Greg

Jim

If you can key the rig using winkeyer and the winkeyer is connected to your computer then in WW Config under the CW tab select "WinKey" in the Keying section along with the appropriate port for the winkeyer, put the rig in VOX and unselect "assert PTT during CW" in the PTT section. Works a treat here.

73

Greg VK3VT

On 2021-08-02 6:07 PM, Jim Denneny wrote:
Joe, I don't recall any change.  Verified CONFIG - PTT is set for RTS.  I switch K3s from VOX to PTT. I have walked WW PTT ports from 5 through 10 with no PTT keying WW.  For test purposes, I select CALL button.  Call scrolls through the WW window but K3s does not key.

I have no problem running with winkeyer standalone with radio in VOX mode.  Unfortunately WW will not key radio in VOX mode but Winkeyer can key radio in VOX but not PTT.

Jim Denneny

Greg,Joe,Dave et al.

WW using PTT issue is fixed. Thanks to all.

K3S Config>PTT-KEy wasset to "OFF_OFF". Switched TO "DTR-off". Followed Joe's instruction in Commander. settings.  All is well with WW in PTT (or VOX with Winkeyer).

Jim K7EG