Can two Spot Collectors connect simultaneously to same DXKeeper database?

RowlandA

I have one Flex 6600M in my radio room with a local PC (the "Radio PC").
DXLab Suite is installed there and I consider this the master DXKeeper database.

I also remote connect to the Flex from my office PC, and have a DXLab Suite installation there as well.
I know that we can't open the same DXKeeper database simultaneously from to instances of DXKeeper,
but I would like to have the Office PC and the Radio PC's Spot Collector instances both connect to the
master DXKeeper database, on the Radio PC, for award progress reference ("needs").  I will then export ADIF from
the office PC DXKeeper periodically and import those QSO's to the Radio PC master database.

Before implementing this, I'd like to make sure it's OK so I don't corrupt my database.

Thanks and 73,
Rowland K4XD

PS - you can add me to the apparently small number of folks who would like to share a common log file between multiple
DXKeeper instances.   WSJT-X doesn't work well on my Office PC (latency to the radio results in time errors) so I use VNC to run it on the Radio PC.
But for CW and SSB, I prefer to use my office PC.  I saw a 2018 thread indicating limited interest in this feature - but perhaps with
the increasing popularity of remote operation, this may be of use to more people.

PPS - As you know, I am a very happy DXLab Suite user - for many years.  I did recently check a couple other logging programs that
support more than one connection to the log database, but there were too many missing deal killer features that I've come to rely on with DXLab.
Kudos on making a piece of software that I am thoroughly addicted to :)

I have one Flex 6600M in my radio room with a local PC (the "Radio PC").
DXLab Suite is installed there and I consider this the master DXKeeper database.

I also remote connect to the Flex from my office PC, and have a DXLab Suite installation there as well.
I know that we can't open the same DXKeeper database simultaneously from to instances of DXKeeper, but I would like to have the Office PC and the Radio PC's Spot Collector instances both connect to the master DXKeeper database, on the Radio PC, for award progress reference ("needs"). I will then export ADIF from the office PC DXKeeper periodically and import those QSO's to the Radio PC master database.

Before implementing this, I'd like to make sure it's OK so I don't corrupt my database.

+ SpotCollector's access to your log database is "read only". I don't know of a specific reason why multiple instance of SpotCollector could not reference the same Spot Database, but the fact that one of the access paths would be a network might introduce performance problems. I have never tested this configuration, nor do I know of anyone who employs it.

+ Have you considered remotely accessing your radio room PC from your office PC? This would eliminate the WSJT-X latency issue.

+ Alternatively, you could close DXKeeper on your radio room PC and then move your log file over the network to your office PC when you're about to make QSOs there, and close DXKeeper on your office PC and move your log file over the network back to your radio room PC when you're about to make QSOs there.

RowlandA

Thanks Dave - my replies in bold below:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

OK - I can set sharing to Read Only as well on the folder holding the .mdb log file so I feel pretty confident this won't cause corruption.

+ Have you considered remotely accessing your radio room PC from your office PC? This would eliminate the WSJT-X latency issue.
Yes, I have done this but I like the "feel" better of running the logging and control apps on the local PC.  Part of my motivation for getting the Flex was to do remote radio without the remote desktop approach.

+ Alternatively, you could close DXKeeper on your radio room PC and then move your log file over the network to your office PC when you're about to make QSOs there, and close DXKeeper on your office PC and move your log file over the network back to your radio room PC when you're about to make QSOs there.
I run the Flex in "multiFlex" mode - e.g. I can leave WSJT-X running on the Radio PC sitting on 6M, while running another instance on my Office PC to do DX'ing on other bands, so having the ability to log on either computer without taking time to move the database is important for me.

I'll try the approach I outlined above, running a second database on the Office PC and exporting / importing the ADIF's to the master db on the Radio PC.
I don't see a reliable way to automate this export/import but please advise if I've missed something (i.e. a "synch" function that exports/imports new QSO's each time).

Thanks again.
73,
Rowland K4XD

I'll try the approach I outlined above, running a second database on the Office PC and exporting / importing the ADIF's to the master db on the Radio PC.
I don't see a reliable way to automate this export/import but please advise if I've missed something (i.e. a "synch" function that exports/imports new QSO's each time).

+ There is no such "new QSO sync" function; when I asked here about providing this capability several years ago, no one expressed interest. Such a capability would only ensure that a new QSO logged on the remote system was also logged on the local (master) system; it would not propagate changes made to QSOs via the remote instance of DXKeeper, like updating a signal report. I fear this could cause confusion and data loss.

+ If you use the direct interoperation between WSJT-X and DXLab, all you would need on the remote system would be instances of WSJT-X and Commander; QSOs logged via the remote instance of WSJT-X would be conveyed to the local instance of SpotCollector, which would direct the local instance of DXKeeper to log them. See "Installing and Configuring Additional WSJT-X Instances" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect

RowlandA

Hey Dave - that ability to connect WSJT-X (or JTDX) + Commander to a remote SpotCollector / DXKeeper [/DXview] is just what the Dr ordered!  Very slick!

That's really all I need for my current operating conditions, thx.  Out of curiosity, are there any other clients that could operate this way (just the client + UDP)?
If WinWarbler did that I think all modes would be covered for the occasional non-FT8 QSO on the Radio PC.

Thanks and 73,
Rowland K4XD

That's really all I need for my current operating conditions, thx. Out of curiosity, are there any other clients that could operate this way (just the client + UDP)?
If WinWarbler did that I think all modes would be covered for the occasional non-FT8 QSO on the Radio PC.

+ At present, WinWarbler logs QSOs to DXKeeper via DDE, which requires that the two applications be running on the same computer. DXKeeper can accept "Log this QSO" directives via TCP, so it would be straight forward to extend WinWarbler to offer that option, but there would be some loss of functionality compare to the "both on the same computer" configuration:

- the Call textbox's caption would not indicate the number of previous QSOs with this callsign

- details of the most recent QSO with this station would not be displayed in the expanded QSO info panel

- the Call textbox's font and background colors would not be set to indicate "award need" and "participation in eQSL/LoTW"

+ Restoring these lost capabilities would require extending DXKeeper to send an "after the QSO was logged" message back to WinWarbler containing the above information, and extending WinWarbler to display it.

+ Who would use this capability if it were provided?

RowlandA

+ Who would use this capability if it were provided?
Well, obviously I would :-) !  But seriously, I think the growing number of hams doing remote operation would be interested in this capability.

Perhaps you could get some feedback if we made a separate post asking simply "Would you use a WinWarbler that could log to a remote DXKeeper?"

Personally I don't find the "missing" functionality you mention to be troublesome, and since DXKeeper already accepts QSO's via TCP, it only seems right
that its sister programs should be able to use that functionality.

73,
Rowland K4XD