Likely leaving DXLab Suite After Changing Computers

Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...>

I've been working on transitioning to a new ham shack computer. Not fun but everything now seems to be working, except DXLab Suite which still sits on the old (source) computer.
I read through the 5 page explanation of relocating DXLab explanations from one PC to another and my eyes glazed over! It's probably me and my aging brain, but this process appears to be very very involved, especially if it takes 5 pages to explain it! I couldn't get past the first section about Commander.
Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

73s
--
Rick, W2JAZ

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:12 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@gmail.com> wrote:

Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

Good summary of the "5 pages". I don't recall it being that long, but
it's been a while since the last new PC (3+ years). I think I'm on my
3rd PC with DXLab ... or is it 4? XP SP2 for a long time, then W7 for
quite a while and now W10 since I bought this NUC back in '17.
Multiple logs for multiple calls and AFAIK, I have never lost a thing.

Peter

Björn SM7IUN

I have moved DXLab several times due to hard drive crashes and motherboard failures.

I mirrored all my DXLab files on a cloud drive, made sure my workspace
was properly saved, and was up and running within a few minutes on a
freshly installed Windows or even a completely new PC.

Björn SM7IUN

Den ons 19 maj 2021 kl 16:23 skrev Peter Laws / N5UWY <plaws0@...>:

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:12 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:

> Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

Good summary of the "5 pages". I don't recall it being that long, but
it's been a while since the last new PC (3+ years).  I think I'm on my
3rd PC with DXLab ... or is it 4?  XP SP2 for a long time, then W7 for
quite a while and now W10 since I bought this NUC back in '17.
Multiple logs for multiple calls and AFAIK, I have never lost a thing.

Peter

Kent N6WT

Richard

I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed by this transition!

Are you looking at this document? http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs
This is not 5 pages? I have reinstalled DXlab a few times, I have backups of files and have always been up and running within 2 hours.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:22 AM Björn SM7IUN <bjorn@...> wrote:
I have moved DXLab several times due to hard drive crashes and motherboard failures.

I mirrored all my DXLab files on a cloud drive, made sure my workspace
was properly saved, and was up and running within a few minutes on a
freshly installed Windows or even a completely new PC.

Björn SM7IUN

Den ons 19 maj 2021 kl 16:23 skrev Peter Laws / N5UWY <plaws0@...>:
On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:12 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:

> Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

Good summary of the "5 pages". I don't recall it being that long, but
it's been a while since the last new PC (3+ years).  I think I'm on my
3rd PC with DXLab ... or is it 4?  XP SP2 for a long time, then W7 for
quite a while and now W10 since I bought this NUC back in '17.
Multiple logs for multiple calls and AFAIK, I have never lost a thing.

Peter

I've been working on transitioning to a new ham shack computer. Not fun but everything now seems to be working, except DXLab Suite which still sits on the old (source) computer.
I read through the 5 page explanation of relocating DXLab explanations from one PC to another and my eyes glazed over! It's probably me and my aging brain, but this process appears to be very very involved, especially if it takes 5 pages to explain it! I couldn't get past the first section about Commander.
Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

+ It's not that involved. It boils down to

1. terminate all DXLab applications on your current computer except the Launcher

2. direct the Launcher on your current computer to create a workspace

3. direct the Launcher on your current computer to populate the workspace you created in step 2

4. install the Launcher on your new computer, and direct it to install your DXLab applications

5. copy the workspace created in step 1 from your current computer to your new computer

6. direct the Launcher on your new computer to restore your settings from the workspace copied in step 3

7. copy you log file from your current computer to your new computer

8. copy any other files you created or modified on your current computer to your new computer; most of the verbiage in the instructions cited above is reminders of the files you may have created or updated.

+ Unless you have slow internet access, steps 1-8 should take less than 1 hour.

73s
--
Rick, W2JAZ

Kent N6WT

I guess I spoke to soon. I see if I hit print it is 5 pages.

I dont use some of the items listed.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:34 AM Kent N6WT via groups.io <kilo6dko=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Richard

I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed by this transition!

Are you looking at this document? http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs
This is not 5 pages? I have reinstalled DXlab a few times, I have backups of files and have always been up and running within 2 hours.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:22 AM Björn SM7IUN <bjorn@...> wrote:
I have moved DXLab several times due to hard drive crashes and motherboard failures.

I mirrored all my DXLab files on a cloud drive, made sure my workspace
was properly saved, and was up and running within a few minutes on a
freshly installed Windows or even a completely new PC.

Björn SM7IUN

Den ons 19 maj 2021 kl 16:23 skrev Peter Laws / N5UWY <plaws0@...>:
On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:12 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:

> Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

Good summary of the "5 pages". I don't recall it being that long, but
it's been a while since the last new PC (3+ years).  I think I'm on my
3rd PC with DXLab ... or is it 4?  XP SP2 for a long time, then W7 for
quite a while and now W10 since I bought this NUC back in '17.
Multiple logs for multiple calls and AFAIK, I have never lost a thing.

Peter

I guess I spoke to soon. I see if I hit print it is 5 pages.

I dont use some of the items listed.

+ No one uses all of the items listed; they are documented for completeness.

+ This "document everything" philosophy is employed for all DXLab functionality.

Doug Grace

I’m overwhelmed at times when I can’t figure things out so you reach out for help and solve the problems. I can’t say you could get any better service from anyone else than Dave and the help forum. Help is minutes away not some time in the future. And all this is free. A few years ago I wanted to transfer my data from a program that was no longer supported. The only format available to export was .txt. With DX Lab at the time wouldn’t upload a .txt data file. I wrote to Dave and in 3 days he modified his program to import files to include .txt files. That got me up and running all at no charge.... yeah Dave. That my friends is service.  The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. Congratulations DXLab, your the best.

ve1dfg, Doug in Halifax.

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 12:34 PM Kent N6WT <kilo6dko@...> wrote:
Richard

I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed by this transition!

Are you looking at this document? http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs
This is not 5 pages? I have reinstalled DXlab a few times, I have backups of files and have always been up and running within 2 hours.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:22 AM Björn SM7IUN <bjorn@...> wrote:
I have moved DXLab several times due to hard drive crashes and motherboard failures.

I mirrored all my DXLab files on a cloud drive, made sure my workspace
was properly saved, and was up and running within a few minutes on a
freshly installed Windows or even a completely new PC.

Björn SM7IUN

Den ons 19 maj 2021 kl 16:23 skrev Peter Laws / N5UWY <plaws0@...>:
On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:12 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:

> Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

Good summary of the "5 pages". I don't recall it being that long, but
it's been a while since the last new PC (3+ years).  I think I'm on my
3rd PC with DXLab ... or is it 4?  XP SP2 for a long time, then W7 for
quite a while and now W10 since I bought this NUC back in '17.
Multiple logs for multiple calls and AFAIK, I have never lost a thing.

Peter

Doug Grace
902-456-0506

BILL KENNAMER

That’s basically what I did.

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 9:12 AM, Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:

I've been working on transitioning to a new ham shack computer. Not fun but everything now seems to be working, except DXLab Suite which still sits on the old (source) computer.
I read through the 5 page explanation of relocating DXLab explanations from one PC to another and my eyes glazed over! It's probably me and my aging brain, but this process appears to be very very involved, especially if it takes 5 pages to explain it! I couldn't get past the first section about Commander.
Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

73s
--
Rick, W2JAZ

Sidney Shusterman

I second the kudos! In my case I asked for a possible change Three HOURS later it was in my inbox and it worked flawlessly!  Dave and DX Lab Suite shine like the Sun.

Another donation to St.. Jude's.

73 Sid K3SX

On 5/19/2021 11:59 AM, Doug Grace wrote:
I’m overwhelmed at times when I can’t figure things out so you reach out for help and solve the problems. I can’t say you could get any better service from anyone else than Dave and the help forum. Help is minutes away not some time in the future. And all this is free. A few years ago I wanted to transfer my data from a program that was no longer supported. The only format available to export was .txt. With DX Lab at the time wouldn’t upload a .txt data file. I wrote to Dave and in 3 days he modified his program to import files to include .txt files. That got me up and running all at no charge.... yeah Dave. That my friends is service.  The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. Congratulations DXLab, your the best.

ve1dfg, Doug in Halifax.

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 12:34 PM Kent N6WT <kilo6dko@...> wrote:
Richard

I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed by this transition!

Are you looking at this document? http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs
This is not 5 pages? I have reinstalled DXlab a few times, I have backups of files and have always been up and running within 2 hours.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:22 AM Björn SM7IUN <bjorn@...> wrote:
I have moved DXLab several times due to hard drive crashes and motherboard failures.

I mirrored all my DXLab files on a cloud drive, made sure my workspace
was properly saved, and was up and running within a few minutes on a
freshly installed Windows or even a completely new PC.

Björn SM7IUN

Den ons 19 maj 2021 kl 16:23 skrev Peter Laws / N5UWY <plaws0@...>:
On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:12 AM Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...> wrote:

> Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

Good summary of the "5 pages". I don't recall it being that long, but
it's been a while since the last new PC (3+ years).  I think I'm on my
3rd PC with DXLab ... or is it 4?  XP SP2 for a long time, then W7 for
quite a while and now W10 since I bought this NUC back in '17.
Multiple logs for multiple calls and AFAIK, I have never lost a thing.

Peter

Doug Grace
902-456-0506

Dave AA6YQ

That’s basically what I did.

+ Using a Workspace to move DXLab settings from your old computer to your new computer en masse is an order of magnitude easier and more accurate than manually reconfiguring each DXLab application on the new computer.

Jeffrey griffin

I agree with Dave on this. Over the last couple of years I did it both ways. First time I had a MB failure on my computer in NJ and had to reinstall everything including the operating system.  I simply did a complete DXLab re install and added my log. It took me, little by little about a month to get everything configured as I had it before. Last summer I built a new computer here in Florida. I followed Dave’s procedure and I was completely done up and running in a few hours.  I also recommended running workspaces to keep your configuration up to date. I had a recent Commander error where I just lost my 4 radio configurations. I didn’t have workspaces configured. I do now 😊.

73 Jeff kb2m

+ Using a Workspace to move DXLab settings from your old computer to your new computer en masse is an order of magnitude easier and more accurate than manually reconfiguring each DXLab application on the new computer.

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I have not had to do this but is it not true that if USB connections and Sound Hardware are not identical in the new computer that the settings in the workspace will not be correct? It would then require at least some reconfiguration to get the appropriate ports for the control operations. Also, the sound cards may be different in name or even in number of cards. Maybe I am missing something here? Maybe I need to do a more careful reading which I have not done this since I have not yet had to move to a new computer.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

+ Using a Workspace to move DXLab settings from your old computer to your new computer en masse is an order of magnitude easier and more accurate than manually reconfiguring each DXLab application on the new computer.

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

I have not had to do this but is it not true that if USB connections and Sound Hardware are not identical in the new computer that the settings in the workspace will not be correct? It would then require at least some reconfiguration to get the appropriate ports for the control operations. Also, the sound cards may be different in name or even in number of cards. Maybe I am missing something here? Maybe I need to do a more careful reading which I have not done this since I have not yet had to move to a new computer.

+ Yes, if COM port numbers change or device names change, they must be manually updated after restoring a Workspace on the new computer. These are a small subset of the total number of settings.

+ Installing DXLab applications on the new computer in a different folder structure that was used on the old computer also creates a need to manually update some settings - like the location of your log file your sub-band definition file.

Steve Wedge

If you don't have custom configurations, really the only thing you really need is your log, which you can restore from the backup.  I just let everything else go back to default (mainly, this applies to spotcollector).  Setting up WSJT-X takes a little backstepping, but otherwise, it was pretty easy.  I did need to go in and set some configuration items again.

Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Steve, W1ES/4

Salvatore Besso

and making a (daily) backup of:

- your log(s) database(s)
- the spot database (not really necessary)
- the relevant files added by you (queries, filters, etc.)
- the workspace folder

it's only a matter of two operations to return operative after a full reinstall of the suite on another computer:

1. Restore your backup in the same folders
2. From Launcher, restore the workspace(s)

And you are ready.

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Larry Knain

I have done both. The most recent was to just do an install but it was dictated by considerations unrelated to DXLab. It wasn't hard for me in either case. As often observed, YMMV.

A thought. If you decide to abandon DXLab you may have more than 5 pages to absorb to convert to something else. The human factors will no doubt be different and take some getting used to. There is also the migration of your current logs. Data collected may be different with another logging program which may or may not be an issue for you. One reason I chose DXLab many years ago was that the data collected was closest to what I had been collecting versus the other logging programs at the time.

73, Larry W6NWS

On 5/19/2021 10:12 AM, Richard Lawn wrote:
I've been working on transitioning to a new ham shack computer. Not fun but everything now seems to be working, except DXLab Suite which still sits on the old (source) computer.
I read through the 5 page explanation of relocating DXLab explanations from one PC to another and my eyes glazed over! It's probably me and my aging brain, but this process appears to be very very involved, especially if it takes 5 pages to explain it! I couldn't get past the first section about Commander.
Seems like it would be easier to just start fresh with a new copy, configure your radio(s) setup and move your log over. I'll likely do that or just abandon using DXLab suite of software. Other loggers and multi-purpose applications seem to be much easier in this regard.

73s
--
Rick, W2JAZ

David Simms

I have just recently done the same thing.  It was a tedious process, but I followed the directions meticulously and got it done.
--
Thanks,
David, N4IW

Richard Lawn <rjlawn@...>

Dave stated in step 5 to copy the Workplace created in the first step (on the old computer) to the new computer, and then in the next step he said to select Restore. What he didn't specify is where to install the Workspace file on the new computer. I assumed that it probably didn't matter because you'd be allowed to browse for the location of the Workspace, but that's not true.

Any advice?

Rick, W2JAZ

--
Rick, W2JAZ

ND9G Mike

When clicking the Config button on DXlab Launcher, there should be a button for Workspaces in the lower left.

Clicking that button will open the workspaces window.

On the bottom of the DXLab Launcher Workspaces window, there is a field in the lower left that indicates the current workspace folder. If you want to use a different folder, click the large Select Folder button to the right of the field and browse to the folder that contains your workspace files.

I believe the normal default is in the Launcher applications Workspaces folder. So if you installed DXLab to C:\DXLab it would be C:\DXLab\Launcher\Workspaces

73,
Mike ND9G