Kenwood TS 850 S Vs. Old People

Sam Burgin

I retired in 1995.  I packed up my ham gear to move, and never opened the boxes.

It is now 25 years later and the DX gods have once again shown themselves.  I am QRV!

I have a Kenwood TS 850 S that I would like to hook up to my computer.  If one of you would be so generous and translate the numbers and letters that I must use to mate my 850 with a computer.

I’ve read that you need two If 232 cables –

  1. A 6 pin male to male din cable
  2. A 25 pin male RS 232 to 9 pin female RS 232

My questions are as follows:

  1. Can you substitute a usb cable for either of these, and if so, what type of cable, and where may I find one? Or two?
  2. I looked at the recommended commercial interfaces but the two that applied to my radio were sold out, or had a 6 weeks backlog. Do I need a commercial interface?

Should you happen to have the necessary cables to put the 850 in conversation with the DXLabs Suite, I would be happy to buy them from you.

Thank you es 73.

Sam

NN4Q

I have a Kenwood TS 850 S that I would like to hook up to my computer.  If one of you would be so generous and translate the numbers and letters that I must use to mate my 850 with a computer.

I’ve read that you need two If 232 cables –

  1. A 6 pin male to male din cable
  2. A 25 pin male RS 232 to 9 pin female RS 232

+ Instructions for connecting your TS-850 to your computer are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectingKenwood

+ As state in this article, you need an IF-232C interface or equivalent; several sources are listed in the above article.

My questions are as follows:

  1. Can you substitute a usb cable for either of these, and if so, what type of cable, and where may I find one? Or two?
  2. I looked at the recommended commercial interfaces but the two that applied to my radio were sold out, or had a 6 weeks backlog. Do I need a commercial interface?
+ You need an IF-232C interface or equivalent. The "Homebrew IF-232C Replacement Interfaces" section of the article cited above provides alternatives to a commercial interface.

+ Instructions for configuring Commander to control your connected TS-850 are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood