LotW Sync not Responding - Solved (I think)


Hank
 

Awhile back I inquired about a problem with internet comms between DXKeeper and LotW.  I was getting the error:  DXKeeper Online QSL Synchronization (Not Responding) – same for sync QSOs as well as  Sync LotW QSLs.  A mystery for sure.  I learned that if I opened DXKeeper alone the routines worked fine.  Plot thickens…

 

I investigated all the usual suspects – virus scan, firewall and such.  No joy.

 

After many process starts and stops, I finally determined that running the WN-2 Ver. 3.62 software for my WaveNode RF meter (USB comms to computer) directly correlated to the DXKeeper – LotW misbehavior.  Software running – errors…  Not running no errors.  Doesn’t appear to matter whether the WaveNode hardware is powered or not.

 

Not a big deal to work around, but the joy of the hunt – goodness, I do love silicon based beings…

 

73 to all!


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Awhile back I inquired about a problem with internet comms between DXKeeper and LotW. I was getting the error: DXKeeper Online QSL
Synchronization (Not Responding) - same for sync QSOs as well as Sync LotW QSLs. A mystery for sure. I learned that if I opened
DXKeeper alone the routines worked fine. Plot thickens.

I investigated all the usual suspects - virus scan, firewall and such. No joy.

After many process starts and stops, I finally determined that running the WN-2 Ver. 3.62 software for my WaveNode RF meter (USB
comms to computer) directly correlated to the DXKeeper - LotW misbehavior. Software running - errors. Not running no errors.
Doesn't appear to matter whether the WaveNode hardware is powered or not.

+ I'm glad that you found the culprit, Hank! I've added it to "Applications that can Interfere with DXLab Applications" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Jon Gefaell
 

Well, you could knock me over with a feather. I was one of the first 50 customers to own the WN-2. I have a thread here asking about problems with LoTW sync operations in DXK. While it was clearly not a DXL caused issue, it was elusive and I couldn't isolate the behavior. You sir, just hit this nail square on the head.

I can report that over the last couple of days I have been able to independently reproduce this behavior. The WN-2 software is the culprit. Now I can update DXK from LoTW any time I like. This is fantastic.

Now, if it were a *nix system I would isolate the conflict, but being Windows not so much. I owe Alan (WN)  a phone call over another question, so I'll update him on this discover.

Thank you Hank, and always Dave as well! 


On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 05:16 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

After many process starts and stops, I finally determined that running the WN-2 Ver. 3.62 software for my WaveNode RF meter (USB
comms to computer) directly correlated to the DXKeeper - LotW misbehavior. Software running - errors. Not running no errors.
Doesn't appear to matter whether the WaveNode hardware is powered or not.

+ I'm glad that you found the culprit, Hank! I've added it to "Applications that can Interfere with DXLab Applications" in


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Well, you could knock me over with a feather. I was one of the first 50 customers to own the WN-2. I have a thread here asking about problems with LoTW sync operations in DXK. While it was clearly not a DXL caused issue, it was elusive and I couldn't isolate the behavior. You sir, just hit this nail square on the head.

I can report that over the last couple of days I have been able to independently reproduce this behavior. The WN-2 software is the culprit. Now I can update DXK from LoTW any time I like. This is fantastic.

Now, if it were a *nix system I would isolate the conflict, but being Windows not so much. I owe Alan (WN) a phone call over another question, so I'll update him on this discover.

+ It would be great if this could be tracked down to the root cause and corrected. When downloading information from LoTW, DXKeeper uses a function called

URLDownloadToFile

+ provided by Microsoft's URLMON.dll component. Evidently the WaveNode application is interfering with the operation of this function.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ