Warning to Yaesu FTDX-101 users

Dave AA6YQ

Joe W4TV reports that that Yaesu has broken the CAT firmware in their most recent update to the FTDX-101, referred to as 202104A.

https://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=16891&FileCatID=42&FileName=FTDX101%20Firmware%20Update%20Information%204%2D9%2D21.pdf
&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

With this firmware installed, the "report mode" command (MD#;) returns an error response.

There's no way to extend Commander to work around this regression.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Further information: If you have not "updated" your firmware, hold
off doing so until Yaesu post a fix. If you have "updated", you
should be able to revert to the previous firmware.

This information (reverting to previous firmware) is based on third
party reports as I have no way of testing it myself.

On 2021-04-10 2:40 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
Joe W4TV reports that that Yaesu has broken the CAT firmware in their most recent update to the FTDX-101, referred to as 202104A.
https://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=16891&FileCatID=42&FileName=FTDX101%20Firmware%20Update%20Information%204%2D9%2D21.pdf
&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf
With this firmware installed, the "report mode" command (MD#;) returns an error response.
There's no way to extend Commander to work around this regression.

Steve - N3SL

Joe (et al)

Been there, done that.  Re-installing previous firmware brings everything back to "normal."

On 2021-04-10 2:40 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
> Joe W4TV reports that that Yaesu has broken the CAT firmware in their most  recent update to the FTDX-101, referred to as 202104A.
>
> https://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=16891&FileCatID=42&FileName=FTDX101%20Firmware%20Update%20Information%204%2D9%2D21.pdf
> &FileContentType=application%2Fpdf
>
> With this firmware installed, the "report mode" command (MD#;) returns an error response.
>
> There's no way to extend Commander to work around this regression.
>
>           73,
>
>               Dave, AA6YQ

Been there, done that.  Re-installing previous firmware brings everything back to "normal."

+ Thanks for the report, Steve! Is there anything that FTDX-101 users need to know about re-installing the previous version of firmware?

       Dave

Steve - N3SL

Not that I know of.  I reinstalled the entire previous version, but I see now that W2YK just reloaded the main file and kept the other new files with success.  I have chosen to leave well enough alone for now....

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021, 6:34 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Been there, done that.  Re-installing previous firmware brings everything back to "normal."

+ Thanks for the report, Steve! Is there anything that FTDX-101 users need to know about re-installing the previous version of firmware?

       Dave

BILL KENNAMER

What seems to be the problem with this new firmware? I upgraded mine with zero problems, and Commander works exactly the same as it always has.

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 7:02 PM, Steve - N3SL <n3sl@...> wrote:

Not that I know of.  I reinstalled the entire previous version, but I see now that W2YK just reloaded the main file and kept the other new files with success.  I have chosen to leave well enough alone for now....

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021, 6:34 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Been there, done that.  Re-installing previous firmware brings everything back to "normal."

+ Thanks for the report, Steve! Is there anything that FTDX-101 users need to know about re-installing the previous version of firmware?

       Dave

Steve - N3SL

From my reading, this seems to be limited to those of us running microHam MKII or MKIII and associated software.  If that's your case, you're the exception.

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 8:04 AM BILL KENNAMER <k5fuv@...> wrote:
What seems to be the problem with this new firmware? I upgraded mine with zero problems, and Commander works exactly the same as it always has.

K5FUV

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 7:02 PM, Steve - N3SL <n3sl@...> wrote:

Not that I know of.  I reinstalled the entire previous version, but I see now that W2YK just reloaded the main file and kept the other new files with success.  I have chosen to leave well enough alone for now....

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021, 6:34 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Been there, done that.  Re-installing previous firmware brings everything back to "normal."

+ Thanks for the report, Steve! Is there anything that FTDX-101 users need to know about re-installing the previous version of firmware?

       Dave

Joe Subich, W4TV

Actually, Commander also polls the transceiver using the MD0; command.
It should be impacted - unable to read mode from the transceiver.

On 2021-04-11 10:02 AM, Steve - N3SL wrote:
From my reading, this seems to be limited to those of us running microHam
MKII or MKIII and associated software. If that's your case, you're the
exception.

<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 7:02 PM, Steve - N3SL <n3sl@arrl.net> wrote:

Not that I know of. I reinstalled the entire previous version, but I see
now that W2YK just reloaded the main file and kept the other new files with
success. I have chosen to leave well enough alone for now....

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021, 6:34 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Been there, done that. Re-installing previous firmware brings everything
back to "normal."

+ Thanks for the report, Steve! Is there anything that FTDX-101 users need
to know about re-installing the previous version of firmware?

Dave

BILL KENNAMER

I can read mode ok, no problem.

On 2021-04-11 10:02 AM, Steve - N3SL wrote:
>>From my reading, this seems to be limited to those of us running microHam
> MKII or MKIII and associated software.  If that's your case, you're the
> exception.
>
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 8:04 AM BILL KENNAMER <k5fuv@...> wrote:
>
>> What seems to be the problem with this new firmware? I upgraded mine with
>> zero problems, and Commander works exactly the same as it always has.
>>
>> K5FUV
>>

>> Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPad
>> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>
>>
>> On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 7:02 PM, Steve - N3SL <n3sl@...> wrote:
>>
>> Not that I know of.  I reinstalled the entire previous version, but I see
>> now that W2YK just reloaded the main file and kept the other new files with
>> success.  I have chosen to leave well enough alone for now....
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2021, 6:34 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> Been there, done that.  Re-installing previous firmware brings everything
>> back to "normal."
>>
>> + Thanks for the report, Steve! Is there anything that FTDX-101 users need
>> to know about re-installing the previous version of firmware?
>>
>>        Dave

I can read mode ok, no problem.

+ That's because Commander uses the IF and OI CAT commands to track VFO A's frequency and mode and VFO B's frequency and mode, respectively. It does not use the MD commands, and thus is immune to the "MD command is rejected" regression in the latest FTDX-101 firmware release.