DxCommander and inadvertent Xmt

Dave AA6YQ

I set everything up initially per the WSJT-X users manual. The inability to log might have been that Spot Collector wasn't running. Not sure about that.

+ You need either SpotCollector or JT-Alert running. "Getting Started with K1JT modes and DXLab" summarizes the two topologies, and provides links to step-by-step instructions for configuring each:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes

However, the inadvertent transmission is being commanded by the Commander when first starting commander. For some reason, PTT is defaulting to Xmt. As I can see it, this is only related to Commander.

+ How is Commander connected to your FT991A?

+ To what are the DTR and RTS selectors set in the "Primary CAT Serial Port" panel on the Ports tab of Commander's Configuration window?

+ Please do the following:

1. reboot Windows

2. put your FT991A on a clear frequency and set its RF output power to 0

3. start Windows Explorer, navigate to your Commander folder, and double-click the entry for

CI-V Commander.exe

+ Does your FT991A switch from RX to TX?

+ If so, then

4. click the RX button in the PTT panel on Commander's Main window

5. on the Configuration window's General tab, check the "Log debugging info" box

6. terminate Commander

7. in Windows Explorer, navigate to your Commander folder, and double-click the entry for

CI-V Commander.exe

8. click the RX button in the PTT panel on Commander's Main window

9. on the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box

10. terminate Commander

11. attach the errorlog.txt file from you Commander folder to an email message that answers the questions posed above, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Lance HP

I set everything up initially per the WSJT-X users manual. The inability to log might have been that Spot Collector wasn't running. Not sure about that.
However, the inadvertent transmission is being commanded by the Commander when first starting commander. For some reason, PTT is defaulting to Xmt. As I can see it, this is only related to Commander.

Hi - I was operating FT8 (new to it) for a bit. QSOs were logged with DxKeeper and everything seemed very streamlined. I left the computer configuration the same and simply turned off my radio and came back to it a day or so later. FT8 operation was fantastic...QSOs were being logged. It was very strange...I was actually getting involved in the FT8 as I had many contacting me and had to manage that by direct intervention. Anyway, after several QSOs I looked at the log and none had been logged even though the prompt to log came up for each (and there were several) and I clicked OK.
This is where the fun starts. It seemed as though I was getting inadvertent transmissions commanded by the WSJTX app. I would have to hit the power button on the radio as I could not figure out from the various screens why this was happening. I then shut down all the apps (WSJTX, Dxlab, etc) and did not power down the computer. When I restarted DxLab and commander only, as soon as commander connected with the radio, it would start to transmit. Again, I used the power button to stop the inadvertent transmission. I then turned the radio back on and the radio (Yaesu FT991A) showed a blinking transmission light (it was not transmitting, but maybe being commanded to transmit??). I then restarted everything...computer...radio. Now, I think SSB voice operation is ok - I have not checked FT8 operation again yet.
Any hints here? I would like to consistently record FT8 contacts (I think I missed a few) and switch to other modes easily. There are a lot of moving parts with all these apps so I am not sure I have a grasp on this.
Any help would be appreciated.

+ Hint 1: read the WSJT-X user manual in

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.3.0-rc1_en.html

+ If you have questions, feel free to post them here, or on the WSJT-X support forum in

https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/messages

+ For QSOs logged in WSJT-X to be conveyed to DXKeeper, you must appropriately configure DXLab. Step-by-step instructions are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes

+ For the QSOs you logged before configuring DXLab to receive them, you can direct DXKeeper to import them from the ADIF file that WSJT-X maintains. In the WSJT-X File menu, run the "Open Log Directory" command. That will produce a Windows Explorer window containing the file

wsjt_log.adi

+ This file contains all QSOs logged with WSJT-X. If none of these QSOs have previously been recorded in DXKeeper, you can simply direct DXKeeper to import this file. Otherwise, you must enable "Duplicate checking" on the "Import QSOs" tab of DXKeeper's Main window before importing the above file; importing with duplicate checking enabled is a slow operation.

[...]

Lance