From: "Simon" <simonhk7@...>
Sent: 2021-03-18 22:37:56
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Send 5 Volts on off signal for ant switch relays

Hi Dave w6de

Thanks for pointer. Yes, the radio info message has every basic thing needed and solve the laptop issue

On Friday, March 19, 2021, w6de <w6de@...> wrote:

There is a Hardware & Software solution for your problem. FreqEz is a raspberry Pi hat and software set that reads the UDP data from DXLab Commander or N1MM contesting software and sends the frequency data FreqEx on the Windows computer and according to a matrix you set up sends antenna selection data to the raspberry pi and a switching board for antenna selection.  Do a WEB search for FreqEZ.  FreqEz was developed by Larry K8UT who also frequents this forum.

73,

Dave, w6de

Planning for a home brew relay box to route the rig to diffetent ant depends on band.

Can the software send 5 Volts on off signal via a hardware box? Of course, it can be manual control if above not possible.

Simon <simonhk7@...>

Hi Dale,

Would you mind telling me what are the devices function

On Friday, March 19, 2021, Dale Drake <daleaa1qd@...> wrote:
Simon,

Last summer I designed and built a unit to do automatic antenna switching to take advantage of the external device that Dave pointed out.  It works FB.  I can send you the schematic and photo.

Dale, AA1QD

Siegfried Jackstien

hmm ... there are usb to relais boards available ... wit 1, 2, 4, 8 or even 16 relais

maybe easier as using lpt cable and rolling your own pcb with relais?!?

dg9bfc sigi

Am 18.03.2021 um 22:22 schrieb Dave AA6YQ:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Many thanks for advises.

Can laptop pc be used with "usb to lpt convertion cable"?

Example, https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-Parallel-Printer-Adapter/dp/B002DUEFHY

+ Probably not.

The last line in wiki says pci plug in board on desk pc is good. Usb device can not be used. Wonder if this had relaxed over time as now?

+ I'd have updated the documentation if there had been a change.

By the way, lpt has about 4 digital pins for reading. Can the software configurated to read these?

+ No, it can't.

w6de

There is a Hardware & Software solution for your problem. FreqEz is a raspberry Pi hat and software set that reads the UDP data from DXLab Commander or N1MM contesting software and sends the frequency data FreqEx on the Windows computer and according to a matrix you set up sends antenna selection data to the raspberry pi and a switching board for antenna selection.  Do a WEB search for FreqEZ.  FreqEz was developed by Larry K8UT who also frequents this forum.

73,

Dave, w6de

Planning for a home brew relay box to route the rig to diffetent ant depends on band.

Can the software send 5 Volts on off signal via a hardware box? Of course, it can be manual control if above not possible.

Dale Drake

Simon,

Last summer I designed and built a unit to do automatic antenna switching to take advantage of the external device that Dave pointed out.  It works FB.  I can send you the schematic and photo.

Dale, AA1QD

Many thanks for advises.

Can laptop pc be used with "usb to lpt convertion cable"?

Example, https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-Parallel-Printer-Adapter/dp/B002DUEFHY

+ Probably not.

The last line in wiki says pci plug in board on desk pc is good. Usb device can not be used. Wonder if this had relaxed over time as now?

+ I'd have updated the documentation if there had been a change.

By the way, lpt has about 4 digital pins for reading. Can the software configurated to read these?

+ No, it can't.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Can laptop pc be used with "usb to lpt convertion cable"?
No. LPT Support in Commander is memory mapped. The USB to
LPT cables are serial devices and rely on a serial driver in
the operating system with shift register output.

By the way, lpt has about 4 digital pins for reading. Can the
software configurated to read these? For example, over temperature
signal and the software be configure to perform some auto action,
like send a cat command to set lower power?
Not currently supported.

On 2021-03-18 6:09 PM, Simon wrote:
Hi Dave,
Many thanks for advises.
Can laptop pc be used with "usb to lpt convertion cable"?
Example,
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-Parallel-Printer-Adapter/dp/B002DUEFHY
The last line in wiki says pci plug in board on desk pc is good. Usb device
can not be used. Wonder if this had relaxed over time as now?
By the way, lpt has about 4 digital pins for reading. Can the software
configurated to read these? For example, over temperature signal and the
software be configure to perform some auto action, like send a cat command
to set lower power?
73
Simon
On Friday, March 19, 2021, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Planning for a home brew relay box to route the rig to diffetent ant
depends on band.

Can the software send 5 Volts on off signal via a hardware box?

+ Yes. See "Controlling an External Device like an Antenna Switch via a
Parallel Port" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ControlAntennaSwitch

Simon <simonhk7@...>

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for advises.

Can laptop pc be used with "usb to lpt convertion cable"?

The last line in wiki says pci plug in board on desk pc is good. Usb device can not be used. Wonder if this had relaxed over time as now?

By the way, lpt has about 4 digital pins for reading. Can the software configurated to read these? For example, over temperature signal and the software be configure to perform some auto action, like send a cat command to set lower power?

73

Simon

+ AA6YQ comments below