Intermitent Rig Control Errors to my ICOM 7610

Mike Wasserburger - WF0M

Every once in a while, WSJT software reports a rig control error.  The message is this:

DX Lab Suite Commander rig did not respond to PTT: ON

I have the command interval set to 100ms.  I had it set to 50ms, but when I started seeing this error, I backed it off to 100ms.  That doesn't seem to be helping.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Mike / WF0M

Every once in a while, WSJT software reports a rig control error.  The message is this:

DX Lab Suite Commander rig did not respond to PTT: ON

I have the command interval set to 100ms.  I had it set to 50ms, but when I started seeing this error, I backed it off to 100ms.  That doesn't seem to be helping.
+ Try changing the Command Interval to 25 ms.

Mike Wasserburger - WF0M

OK, I like that direction better!  I'll give it a try and see if that helps.

thanks!

Mike / WF0M

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:59 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Every once in a while, WSJT software reports a rig control error.  The message is this:

DX Lab Suite Commander rig did not respond to PTT: ON

I have the command interval set to 100ms.  I had it set to 50ms, but when I started seeing this error, I backed it off to 100ms.  That doesn't seem to be helping.
+ Try changing the Command Interval to 25 ms.

OK, I like that direction better!  I'll give it a try and see if that helps.

+ Also, be sure that your firewall and anti-malware are configure to consider WSJT-X, Commander, and your other DXLab applications to be "safe".

Mike Wasserburger - WF0M

I moved it to 25ms as suggested and have yet to see the error, so this change seems to be helping.

thanks,

Mike/WF0M

I moved it to 25ms as suggested and have yet to see the error, so this change seems to be helping.

+ With a USB connect, the primary CAT baud rate set to 115200, and the "Verify CI-V command acceptance" enabled in the Radio panel on the Configuration window's General tab, my IC-7300 works reliably with a "Command interval" of 10 ms. I suspect that your IC-7610 would do the same.

+ My ancient IC-7800, limited to a primary CAT baud rate of 19200, works reliably with a "Command interval" of 25 ms.

Gerald Wilson

Dave   AA6YQ,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I have been battling this error with my IC-7610 while using WSJT-X and DXLab Suite for some time.  I would get a rig control error which would pop up after 5 - 20 minutes of operation.  I'd clear it. Then it would happen again after 5 - 20 minutes.   I'm not sure, but I think it happened more frequently under quite crowded band conditions.  I may even have slowed the setting down thinking it was a computer processing problem.

Somehow, I missed any previous mention of the resolution of this problem.   I had been through the installation instructions again and ....

I saw your answer.   A light switch went on.   I made the change and operated some FT-8 with only 1 error occurring over 3 days.  I've already shared this with a similarly equipped friend.

Most gratefully with 73,

        Jerry    K7VIT

On 3/18/2021 17:04, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I moved it to 25ms as suggested and have yet to see the error, so this change seems to be helping.

+ With a USB connect, the primary CAT baud rate set to 115200, and the "Verify CI-V command acceptance" enabled in the Radio panel on the Configuration window's General tab, my IC-7300 works reliably with a "Command interval" of 10 ms. I suspect that your IC-7610 would do the same.

+ My ancient IC-7800, limited to a primary CAT baud rate of 19200, works reliably with a "Command interval" of 25 ms.

 I made the change and operated some FT-8 with only 1 error occurring over 3 days.
+ A failure every 3 days is not consistent with the expect level of reliability. Clearly reducing the "Command Interval" has helped, but something else is going on. What other applications are running besides DXLab applications.

Gerald Wilson

Dave  AA6YQ,

I have been slow to respond because I've had some business to attend to, and I wanted to observe the error again to give you a fresh report.  I usually suspect that any problems here are most often caused by the limitations of the operator whose hand is on the mouse or the radio knob.   While I have not been on FT-8 or FT-4 much since I last wrote, I did encounter another "Rig Control Error" today on 20m FT-8.  I had completed an FT-4 QSO and a 2 FT-8 QSO's.  The following error popped up with the following details:

"DX Lab Suite Commander rig did not respond to PTT: ON
Timestamp: 2021-04-07T22:32:32.705Z"

I checked Commander's Error Log, and there was no entry for this date.

Question:   What applications were running?  (I'll include them all to be thorough if not additionally helpful.)
Answer:    The MS  Task Manager listed the following apps running on the date of my first e-mail.

  1. Two apps running in the background related to my WiFi connected Canon printer.
    Canon Quick Menu   and
    Canon Quick Menu Image Display

  2. DXLabLauncher.exe     Ver. 2.1.4
  3. MMD.exe               Ver. 6
  4. CI-V Commander.exe    Ver. 15.0.1
  5. DXKeeper.exe          Ver. 15.9.9
  6. DXView.exe            Ver. 4.7.9
    including World Map display
  7. Pathfinder.exe        Ver. 5.2.6
  8. SC_WSJTS.exe          Ver. 1.0.7
  9. SpotCollector.exe     Ver. 8.8.3

  10. WSJT-X: Digital Modes Ver. 2.3.0 Oc42df (64-bit)
    Console Window Host
    jt9 - WSJT-X slow mode decoder (?? I haven't used JT-9)
    WSJT-X Digital Modes

  11. For time sychronization, I am using Dimension 4, Ver. 5.31.331.0.

  12. Additionally on the day of the earlier error, I probably had the Chrome browser open to monitor lightning conditions in our region. During today's Rig Control Error, the Chrome browser was not running.

  13. Today, I did have my e-mail client (Thunderbird) open.

Regarding Spotcollector, I have been using 3 spot sources:  VE7CC, a local DX cluster, and WSJT-X itself.  The local DX cluster appears to avoid FT-8 and FT-4 spots unless they are posted locally.  VE7CC sends out copious digital spot postings and sometimes seems to slow my system down so I turn it off occasionally.  I do not recall if I was monitoring VE7CC when the earlier error occurred.  Today, I was connected to the VE7CC cluster.

Regarding software settings, I have WSJT-X under the Radio-tab to use "DX Lab Suite Commander" and the Poll Interval set to 1 second. On the WSJT-X Advanced Tab, I have the TX delay set to 0.3 seconds.

My PC setup is as follows:

  • Processor AMD Ryzen 5 @ 3.6 GHZ w/ 32 GB of RAM
  • 232 GB Solid State Drive with 50 GB free
  • MS-Windows 10 Pro with the current updates.
  • Security is MS Defender.

Today as all this software is running, the Task Manager shows the CPU running at 5-15% capacity with peaks on 20m FT-8 decode of 25-35%.

The XCVR as mentioned before is an ICOM IC-7610 with firmware V. 1.20.

I hope this gives an adequate picture of my operating conditions so as to provide you with adequate information.  If I can provide additional details, please let me know.

Thank you for your assistance in the past and for your guidance now.

73,    Jerry    K7VIT

On 3/22/2021 23:04, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
 I made the change and operated some FT-8 with only 1 error occurring over 3 days.
+ A failure every 3 days is not consistent with the expect level of reliability. Clearly reducing the "Command Interval" has helped, but something else is going on. What other applications are running besides DXLab applications.

Thanks for the detailed report below, Jerry.

Some comments

1. You should not be running MMD.exe when you are running WSJT-X.

2. The error message "DX Lab Suite Commander rig did not respond to PTT: ON" comes from WSJT-X, which expects that within a certain period of time, Commander will report that it has switched from RX to TX in response to sending Commander a "switch from RX to TX" directive.

3. I have seen access to a network connected printer cause sporadic long processing delays.

Thus my advice is

A. terminate MMD when running WSJT-X

B. On the WSJT-X Advanced Tab, set the TX delay to 0.2 seconds (the setting I use with my IC-7800, which is slower than your iC-7610)

C. For the next several days, temporarily disable the Canon applications and disable your machine's access to the Wifi-accessible printer

D. Update Windows 10 to the latest virus definitions in

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

E. Reboot Windows

Let's see if this changes the incidence of failure.

If you go 4 days without a failure, then try re-enabling your Wifi printer and its Canon utilizies.