Commander won't launch

David Reed

Thanks Dave, got one on order now, arrives Wednesday!

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

On Mar 1, 2021, at 00:46, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

@ more AA6YQ comments below
A disk problem with a bad sector; looking to replace it with an SSD drive, but reliability is my prime concern here.

+ In my view, making your local backup and recovery mechanism reliable should be your first priority.

Agree 100%; working on that and any recommendations are welcome.

@ SSDs are more expensive than rotating drives, but they are also more reliable. In dedicated backup service, however, a failed rotating drive (as you have now) is not fatal because the primary storage (ideally SSD)  and the cloud backup service both remain intact, preventing a single-bit failure from causing data loss, Thus I would simply replace your failed rotating drive with one having plenty of capacity.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

@ more AA6YQ comments below
A disk problem with a bad sector; looking to replace it with an SSD drive, but reliability is my prime concern here.

+ In my view, making your local backup and recovery mechanism reliable should be your first priority.

@ SSDs are more expensive than rotating drives, but they are also more reliable. In dedicated backup service, however, a failed rotating drive (as you have now) is not fatal because the primary storage (ideally SSD)  and the cloud backup service both remain intact, preventing a single-bit failure from causing data loss, Thus I would simply replace your failed rotating drive with one having plenty of capacity.

Dave, AA6YQ

David Reed

my thoughts are between the lines… 

On Feb 28, 2021, at 19:51, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
apparently in bring back a station backup from Carbonite, it overwrote with a corrupt file
+ That doesn't make me feel very confident in my own use of Carbonite as my cloud backup solution.

I went back to the carbonite files and they seemed okay (downloaded to separate file, not overwriting anything this time); I believe the internet glitch during the download affected it, more than that Carbonite was a problem...

glad it is working though, I am quite spoiled by using these fine programs and really feel crappy when my system prevents that.

I am doubly backed up; to external hard drive and external with Carbonite; good thing because the local one was shot with errors (tried it first due to low internet speeds).

+ What kind of errors did you encounter in your local backup? I use StorageCraft Shadow Protect for automatic daily backups to a network-accessible set of hard drives. On several occasions, I have mounted a backup volume and successfully restored files.

It first started when trying to bring my new system back up; initially DX lab stuff was all working following directions on the wiki you sent me; but when I brought back my other files it cratered the .ocx file in question.

+  Are you saying that directing Carbonite to restore applications other than your DXLab applications damaged one of your DXLab application files?

I am trying to say that I theorize that the Visual Basic restore (probably should just have restored what I needed rather then the whole Megilla) seems to have been the culprit (given that downloading it and intalling it fresh fixed the problem).

Immediately after that it barfed; there was an internet outage during the restore of files from off site. Next time I have to restore from offsite, I will go to my son's house and use his better, faster  internet service.

A cloud-based backup and recovery capability is important for disaster recovery, but its recovery is too slow for "normal" use.

Agree with that too.

Dave, AA6YQ

73 de Dave, W5SV

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
apparently in bring back a station backup from Carbonite, it overwrote with a corrupt file
+ That doesn't make me feel very confident in my own use of Carbonite as my cloud backup solution.

glad it is working though, I am quite spoiled by using these fine programs and really feel crappy when my system prevents that.

I am doubly backed up; to external hard drive and external with Carbonite; good thing because the local one was shot with errors (tried it first due to low internet speeds).

+ What kind of errors did you encounter in your local backup? I use StorageCraft Shadow Protect for automatic daily backups to a network-accessible set of hard drives. On several occasions, I have mounted a backup volume and successfully restored files.

It first started when trying to bring my new system back up; initially DX lab stuff was all working following directions on the wiki you sent me; but when I brought back my other files it cratered the .ocx file in question.

+  Are you saying that directing Carbonite to restore applications other than your DXLab applications damaged one of your DXLab application files?

Immediately after that it barfed; there was an internet outage during the restore of files from off site. Next time I have to restore from offsite, I will go to my son's house and use his better, faster  internet service.

+ In my view, making your local backup and recovery mechanism reliable should be your first priority. A cloud-based backup and recovery capability is important for disaster recovery, but its recovery is too slow for "normal" use.

Dave, AA6YQ

David Reed

Apparently in bring back a station backup from Carbonite, it overwrote with a corrupt file; glad it is working though, I am quite spoiled by using these fine programs and really feel crappy when my system prevents that.

Thanks again & 73 de Dave, W5SV

On 2/28/2021 22:32, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

VB =VisualBasic… I just figured it might be something with that… in my ignorance, but it works now…

+ Thanks, Dave. Evidently, installing VB re-registered MouseWheelControl.ocx . There's a simpler way to re-register a component, if this happens again.

+ The question now is "why did MouseWheelControl.ocx become un-registered?"

+ When did this problem first appear. What changes to you hardware or software did you make around that time?

+ I suggest checking the Windows Event Logs for signs of hardware or software failures.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

VB =VisualBasic… I just figured it might be something with that… in my ignorance, but it works now…

+ Thanks, Dave. Evidently, installing VB re-registered MouseWheelControl.ocx . There's a simpler way to re-register a component, if this happens again.

+ The question now is "why did MouseWheelControl.ocx become un-registered?"

+ When did this problem first appear. What changes to you hardware or software did you make around that time?

+ I suggest checking the Windows Event Logs for signs of hardware or software failures.

Dave, AA6YQ

David Reed

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

On Feb 28, 2021, at 15:04, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

meanwhile, I re-installed VB, and that seems to have fixed it...

+ What's VB?

+ I would have recommended re-registering MouseWheelControl.ocx

Dave, AA6YQ

On 2/28/2021 9:14 AM, David Reed via groups.io wrote:
When trying to launch Commander (Via DXLab Launcher), I get the
following error:

"Component 'MouseWheelControl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not
correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

I have no idea beyond something got deleted or corrupted; any ideas on
how to fix it?

Thanks & 73 de Dave, W5SV

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ What's VB?

+ I would have recommended re-registering MouseWheelControl.ocx

Dave, AA6YQ

When trying to launch Commander (Via DXLab Launcher), I get the
following error:

"Component 'MouseWheelControl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not
correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

I have no idea beyond something got deleted or corrupted; any ideas on
how to fix it?

David Reed

When trying to launch Commander (Via DXLab Launcher), I get the following error:

"Component 'MouseWheelControl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

I have no idea beyond something got deleted or corrupted; any ideas on how to fix it?

David Reed

When trying to launch Commander (Via DXLab Launcher), I get the following error:

"Component 'MouseWheelControl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

I have no idea beyond something got deleted or corrupted; any ideas on how to fix it?