OLD 2000A RS232 Connection to radio or computer for band change

I have a 9 pin connector labeled RS232 9 pin on my 2000A.  I want to connect it to my software to change bands with the radio.  I have the cable and connection point for the computer.  I don't know how to read the data to the radio.

I understand that there is a software package that does this, but I don't want to leave DXLabs
Radio is ic7600.  And logging software is DXlabs.
--
Norm WA4ZXV EM73vw

I have a 9 pin connector labeled RS232 9 pin on my 2000A.  I want to connect it to my software to change bands with the radio.  I have the cable and connection point for the computer.  I don't know how to read the data to the radio.

I understand that there is a software package that does this, but I don't want to leave DXLabs
Radio is ic7600.  And logging software is DXlabs.

+ What is a "2000A" ?

g4wjs

On 16/02/2021 12:40, Norm wrote:
I have a 9 pin connector labeled RS232 9 pin on my 2000A.  I want to connect it to my software to change bands with the radio.  I have the cable and connection point for the computer.  I don't know how to read the data to the radio.

I understand that there is a software package that does this, but I don't want to leave DXLabs
Radio is ic7600.  And logging software is DXlabs.
--
Norm WA4ZXV EM73vw
Hi Norm,

I believe the ACOM 2000A is normally used with a special 'Y' CAT cable that allows it to snoop CAT traffic from the rig generated by polls from CAT control software elsewhere. I think the PA is completely passive on that port. I'm not sure which CAT protocols it understands.

Bill

G4WJS.

On 16/02/2021 12:40, Norm wrote:
I have a 9 pin connector labeled RS232 9 pin on my 2000A.  I want to connect it to my software to change bands with the radio.  I have the cable and connection point for the computer.  I don't know how to read the data to the radio.

I understand that there is a software package that does this, but I don't want to leave DXLabs
Radio is ic7600.  And logging software is DXlabs.
--
Norm WA4ZXV EM73vw
Hi Norm,

I believe the ACOM 2000A is normally used with a special 'Y' CAT cable that allows it to snoop CAT traffic from the rig generated by polls from CAT control software elsewhere. I think the PA is completely passive on that port. I'm not sure which CAT protocols it understands.

+ Pages 46-48 of the Acom 2000A manual in

https://www.acom-bg.com/sites/default/files/manuals/ACOM%202000A%20Manual.pdf

show how to build 'Y' cables for several transceiver families. Alternatively, the Acom 2000A could be connected to Commander's Secondary CAT port, configured to "follow" the primary transceiver's frequency and update the secondary device every 200 ms, as described in "Enabling an External Device like an Antenna Tuner or Amplifier to Track the Primary Transceiver's Frequency via Commander's Secondary CAT Port" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ControlDeviceViaSecondaryCATPort

Joe Subich, W4TV

The RS232 connector on the Acom 2000 amplifier (not the RCU) is
limited to Acom's proprietary control protocol. Unless you have
the *NEW* RCU (in which case you connect to the DB15HD on the RCU),
I don't think Commander can control the 2000.

On 2021-02-16 7:40 AM, Norm wrote:
I have a 9 pin connector labeled RS232 9 pin on my 2000A.  I want to connect it to my software to change bands with the radio.  I have the cable and connection point for the computer.  I don't know how to read the data to the radio.
I understand that there is a software package that does this, but I don't want to leave DXLabs
Radio is ic7600.  And logging software is DXlabs.
--
Norm WA4ZXV EM73vw

Norm_W4QN

I am an owner of now my second  ACOM 2000A amplifier.  The primary difference in the OLD version (circa '07) and my later unit from 2013 is the RCU (Remote Control Unit).  Most significant addition to the later RCU was the inclusion of a CI-V control function making the amplifier band changes controlled by DXLab.  The previous or older Amplifier band change was accomplished by a RF-Frequency counter un the ACOM.  A band change could be effect by a 'dit' of RF or a 'click' of the tongue.  So for virtually 'auto' band changes a dit of cw, or a click of the mic button could accomplish that.  The newer model Amp retains that method.

The Remote Control Unit is a bit of a misnomer as it is remote from the amplifier only by the length of the inter connecting cable (about 2 m).  There is an option that does permit remote 'turn on' of the amplifier but I am not sure what other functions.

To summarize my experience with the 'Old' and newer model ACOM 2000A is band control can be achieved by applying a brief burst of RF, or on the later model either RF or a CI-V command..  A Wye connector would permit you to feed both your transceiver and the new RCU for band band selection.
See Manual page 46 for reference to Icom Ci-V connection
--
Norm_W4QN

wc3w

Great response Norm
Mark
WC3W

On Feb 16, 2021, at 4:32 PM, Norm_W4QN <npalex@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Raskin

Norm – I have not used the CI-V connection as the manual on pages 32 and 33 (not page 46 as my manual only has 44 pages) says you need to have two 510 Ohm resistors in the CI-V line.  I just send a “dit” to switch bands, like the old way.  Are you using a cable with the resistors for CI-V control?

Mike

On 2021-02-16 9:22 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

+ Thanks for the explanation, Joe. Does every new Acom 2000A include an RCU that accepts multiple CAT protocols, or is that an extra-price option?

+ Neither "Acom" nor "2000A" appear in Commander's enhancement list

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/enhancements.htm

+ Adding Secondary CAT Support for an amplifier is generally easy, as it's just a matter of sending out frequency updates in the specified format.

AB2E Darrell

Thanks Joe,
to add to my original post about the old RCU, I use the 3-wire DB9 cable from RS232 on the back of the amp to a USB serial adapter db9 (FTDI chip), it must be using only pins 2,3, and 5 and be null modem (pins 2 and 3 reversed on one end).
This works great with both programs I previously mentioned.
73 Darrell AB2E

On 2021-02-16 9:22 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
> + AA6YQ comments below
>
> I would add to Norm's assessment of the original 2000A RCU.
> There are 2 programs that make the 2000A follow the xcvr, and do so in all of the amplifier sub bands.
> All of N4PY's programs support Acom 2000A original RCU control regardless of rig.
> Note that N4PY's software easily interfaces with DXLab.
> I have no financial interest in either program, just a satisfied customer.
>
> Also TRX-Manager does the same thing although this program may be discontinued.
> I don't know if it interfaces DXLab but it should be possible as it links to other external programs.
>
> I have both mainly for use to control the Acom and they are both seamless, working in the background.
>
> If you have 2 Acom 2000A amplifiers for SO2R, you can also run 2 instances of N4PY simultaneously with amp control from both instances on one PC.
> TRX-Manager will not do this, although you could network 2 PCs and run 1 radio/amp off of each PC.
>
> + Page 45 of the Acom 2000A manual I downloaded yesterday indicated that the amp's COM port can be configured to respond to the Icom or Kenwood CAT protocol. If that's the case, then you can configure Commander's Secondary CAT port to convey the current primary transceiver's frequency to the amp. That's how my SPE 2K-FA amp is configured, using the Kenwood protocol. This works whether the primary transceiver is an Icom IC-7800, Flex 6500, Icom IC-7300, or KenwoodTS-2000. See "Enabling an External Device like an Antenna Tuner or Amplifier to Track the Primary Transceiver's Frequency via Commander's Secondary CAT Port" in
>
> https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ControlDeviceViaSecondaryCATPort
>

>          73,
>
>                Dave, AA6YQ

Page 45 of the *current* Acom 2000A manual is describing the "CAT" port
on the *NEW* RCU. There is an older Acom 2000A manual (no date, I
downloaded it in 2008) that shows the original RCU with no CAT port.

+ I found several documents describing the protocol for the older Acom 2000A. The older amplifier does not accept a "set frequency" command; it accepts commands to control motors that move the band, load, and tune motors, and to read and write EEPROM locations. Controlling an older Acom 2000A requires implementing much more than a simple frequency-tracking interface; one needs and amplifier controller.

+ I'm glad that there are other applications that do this, and that interoperate with DXLab applications.

      Dave

Joe Subich, W4TV

Does every new Acom 2000A include an RCU that accepts multiple CAT protocols, or is that an extra-price option?
I assume all new Acom 2000A amplifiers include the new RCU. At least
they are shown that way at DX Engineering and Ham Radio Outlet. I do
not see any option to purchase just the RF deck without the RCU.

On 2021-02-16 9:50 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Hi Joe,
Correct, all new Acom 2000A's have shipped with the new RCU since around 2012.
However, you can buy the new RCU separately for $800 at any time for those who have the old RCU and want to upgrade (they are interchangeable).
73 Darrell AB2E

On 2021-02-16 9:50 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
> + AA6YQ comments below
>

>>> + Page 45 of the Acom 2000A manual I downloaded yesterday indicated
>>> that the amp's COM port can be configured to respond to the Icom or
>>> Kenwood CAT protocol.
>>
>> Page 45 of the *current* Acom 2000A manual is describing the "CAT" port
>> on the *NEW* RCU. There is an older Acom 2000A manual (no date, I
>> downloaded it in 2008) that shows the original RCU with no CAT port.
>>
>> Unfortunately, both amplifiers carry the same model number "2000A".
>
> + Thanks for the explanation, Joe. Does every new Acom 2000A include an RCU that accepts multiple CAT protocols, or is that an extra-price option?
>
> + Neither "Acom" nor "2000A" appear in Commander's enhancement list
>
> https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/enhancements.htm
>
> + Adding Secondary CAT Support for an amplifier is generally easy, as it's just a matter of sending out frequency updates in the specified format.
>
> 73,
>
> Dave, AA6YQ

I'm going to try rs232 to DXLabs Commander.  I have the cable here and an open 232 port on the pc.  Just haven't found the back of the amp.  No easy job to move it.
I'll post my results.
Norm WA4ZXV

--
Norm WA4ZXV EM73vw

I'm going to try rs232 to DXLabs Commander. I have the cable here and an open 232 port on the pc. Just haven't found the back of the amp. No easy job to move it.
I'll post my results.

+ As pointed out by several earlier posts in this thread, Commander's Secondary CAT Port can only control Acom 2000As with the more recent (after 2014) CAT interface, which is described on pages 45-48 of its manual. If your 2000A's manual doesn't have 45 pages, then Commander can't control it.