DX Commander with an IC-7300 and SDR Console

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Dave,
A buddy of mine, KB7IJ would like to run DXC with his SDR Console V3 software. Is that possible?

He wants to use the 7300 on TX and use the
SDR for Rx ..and he has the 7300 SDR port mod installed.

I referred  him to this:

But he said it made no mention of SDR Console v3...so it wouldn't  work? Something about ports or virtual ports. I'd like to put you two together, but don't want to even start it if it's not possible.

Thanks,
73, N0AN
Hasan

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Darn, forgot to mention he is running WSJT-X too
Hasan

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRInteroperation

But he said it made no mention of SDR Console v3...so it wouldn't work? Something about ports or virtual ports. I'd like to put you two together, but don't want to even start it if it's not possible.

+ It' not possible to provide step-by-step instructions for every available panadaptor. The article you cite above shows 6 different topologies for using Commander's Secondary CAT port to interoperate with panadaptors and SDRs. This article provides instructions for interoperating with a panadaptor that uses OmniRig for transceiver control:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration

Combined with documentation provided by the panadaptor developers and a general understanding of CAT control, these have proven sufficient over the years. However, if you encounter and then resolve a roadblock not mentioned in these articles, please let me know and I will update them.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Since SDR Console V3 uses Omni-Rig for transceiver interfacing,
the information in
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration>
should be directly applicable with SDR Console V3 replacing HDSDR.

Specific configuration of SDR Console V3 is left as an exercise
for the student. Omni-Rig is probably best configured to control
a Kenwood TS-2000, Commander's Secondary CAT serial set for Kenwood
CAT Protocol and "Follow & lead primary", and SDR Console configured
for the Kenwood transceiver. Icom protocol may work as well but
there is an added complexity of the correct CI-V address and the
Kenwood protocol is a bit more "full featured" in this application.

On 2021-02-05 3:51 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
Dave,
A buddy of mine, KB7IJ would like to run DXC with his SDR Console V3 software. Is that possible?
He wants to use the 7300 on TX and use the
SDR for Rx ..and he has the 7300 SDR port mod installed.
I referred  him to this:
https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRInteroperation But he said it made no mention of SDR Console v3...so it wouldn't  work? Something about ports or virtual ports. I'd like to put you two together, but don't want to even start it if it's not possible.
Thanks,
73, N0AN
Hasan

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Tnx on Skimmer tip, that will keep him busy.
Hasan

On 2021-02-05 3:51 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
> Dave,
> A buddy of mine, KB7IJ would like to run DXC with his SDR Console V3
> software. Is that possible?
>
> He wants to use the 7300 on TX and use the
> SDR for Rx ..and he has the 7300 SDR port mod installed.
>
> I referred  him to this:
> https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRInteroperation
>
> But he said it made no mention of SDR Console v3...so it wouldn't  work?
> Something about ports or virtual ports. I'd like to put you two
> together, but don't want to even start it if it's not possible.
>
> Thanks,
> 73, N0AN
> Hasan

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

I use DX Commander with SDR Console to run my Hermes Lite 2 SDR transceiver. In SDR Console View : Options : More Options I set the serial port to one end of a set of serial ports. I can then config the Commander port to the other end of the virtual serial cable and choose radio: Kenwood. Works well.

I use DX Commander with SDR Console to run my Hermes Lite 2 SDR transceiver. In SDR Console View : Options : More Options I set the serial port to one end of a set of serial ports. I can then config the Commander port to the other end of the virtual serial cable and choose radio: Kenwood. Works well.

+ Thanks for the description and report, Bob!

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

Executive summary - don't use the same virtual serial ports for CW Skimmer and Commander

More detail on SDR Console and Commander. In SDR Console you can choose both CW Skimmer and External Radio. If you set a virtual port pair in CW Skimmer by clicking on it, you must disable it or set another port pair for the External Radio. After you have the External Radio window open, you click on the question mark in the upper right hand corner of the window to bring up External Radio Options. You can then click on the "Omni-Rig" button to set External Radio ports in OMni-Rig.  Finally choose the complementary virtual serial port in Commander and set the radio to Kenwood. If all goes well Commander will display "[Kenwood TS-2000]" in the top window bar.

You're in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike
    Bob   KD8CGH

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Thanks for the tips, he's still  having issues:
trying to get a 7300 to track with a dongle in SDRC and using DXC with it
Hasan

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 10:55 AM Bob Benedict, KD8CGH <rkayakr@...> wrote:
I use DX Commander with SDR Console to run my Hermes Lite 2 SDR transceiver. In SDR Console View : Options : More Options I set the serial port to one end of a set of serial ports. I can then config the Commander port to the other end of the virtual serial cable and choose radio: Kenwood. Works well.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Omni-Rig exposes two "Rig" ports (Radio 1 and Radio 2). As shown here
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration> with
HDSDR, SDR Console connects to one radio and Skimmer connects to the
other - each radio must use a separate virtual port.

Since I have not looked at SDR Console v3, I assume it provides an
interface to configure Omni-Rig.

On 2021-02-08 8:38 AM, Bob Benedict, KD8CGH wrote:
[...]

+ Typically, one connects Commander's "Primary CAT Port" to a transceiver, and connects Commander's "Secondary CAT Port" to a panadaptor like SDR Console. How is the transceiver connected in your topology, Bob?

Thanks for the tips, he's still having issues: trying to get a 7300 to track with a dongle in SDRC and using DXC with it

+ More information than "having issues" will be required in order to suggest corrective action.

Joe Subich, W4TV

I took a look at SDR Console this afternoon ... using my K3 and SDR-IQ.
The information in
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration>
is right on the money. Omni-Rig and CW Skimmer should be configured
as documented in the SDR Console on-line documentation:

Omni-Rig: https://sdr-radio.com/external-radio

Skimmer: https:sdr-radio.com/cw-skimmer

The one modification to those two articles is that the connection
between SDR Console and Commander should use RADIO 1 of Omni-Rig
and the connection between SDR Console and CW Skimmer should use
RADIO 2 of Omni-Rig.

I would suggest your friend approach the problem this way:

1) disconnect the RTL dongle from the 7300 and connect the
7300 receiver.
2) Configure Commander and the 7300 for inter-operation of the
transceiver without Commander's Secondary CAT Serial Port
3) Connect the antenna to the RTL dongle and configure SDR-
Console and the RTL dongle for operation as a stand alone
receiver.
4) Connect the RTL dongle to the SDR interface in the 7300
and configure SDR Console and Commander's Secondary CAT
Serial port to communicate with each other using "Radio 1"
in Omni-Rig as shown in the DXLab Suite and SDR-Console
documentation. At this point the RTL dongle/SDR Console
should track the 7300 and the 7300 should track SDR-Console.
5) Connect/configure CW Skimmer for interaction with SDR-Console
*using Omni-Rig "Radio 2"*

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 10:55 AM Bob Benedict, KD8CGH <rkayakr@gmail.com>
wrote:

I use DX Commander with SDR Console to run my Hermes Lite 2 SDR
transceiver. In SDR Console View : Options : More Options I set the serial
port to one end of a set of serial ports. I can then config the Commander
port to the other end of the virtual serial cable and choose radio:
Kenwood. Works well.

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

Dave

  The Hermes Lite 2 is the SDR transceiver hardware. It's a tiny black box with an Ethernet connection to the shack PC.  SDR Console on the PC  supports the HL2 and provides HL2 audio, control and display.  I connect SDR Console to Commander to have access to the DX Lab suite, particularly to DX Keeper as it has been my  logging tool for a long time.

Looks like we have different topologies.

    Bob   KD8CGH

The Hermes Lite 2 is the SDR transceiver hardware. It's a tiny black box with an Ethernet connection to the shack PC. SDR Console on the PC supports the HL2 and provides HL2 audio, control and display. I connect SDR Console to Commander to have access to the DX Lab suite, particularly to DX Keeper as it has been my logging tool for a long time.

Looks like we have different topologies.

+ Thanks for the explanation, Bob. In your setup, the combination of "SDR Console" and your Hermes Lite 2 server as your primary transceiver, configured to emulate a Kenwood TS-2000. This is similar to the first topology shown in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRInteroperation

+ with the "PowerSDR Console" box replaced with "SDR Console", and the three lower boxes replaced with your Hermes Lite 2. Commander's Secondary CAT port remains available to control a second receiver, a second panadaptor, or more prosaically to keep a tuner or antenna switch tracking your frequency.

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Dave,
It turns out his problems are deeper than DXCommander, he can't even get the following programs to cooperate, without DXC.

Since it no longer involves DXC, but appears to be a WSJT-X > SDRC > OmniRig > IC-7300 problem, I won't trouble the list with any more details. I have a long explanation with pictures and settings, but that has no place on this list.

Without the details, this is where he is stuck and I'll leave it at that. Thanks for trying to help:

In synopsis.. I can run WSJTX   __OR__   SDRC but not both Using OmniRig and trying for full CAT between all devices.

I CAN use SDRC, WSJTX and a Kwd TS2000  all at once and have full CAT/PTT between all players.

N0AN
Hasan

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 12:40 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ What is "SDRC"?

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ What is "SDRC"?
SDR Console V3 (Simon's package).

On 2021-02-09 1:07 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
It turns out his problems are deeper than DXCommander, he can't even
get the following programs to cooperate, without DXC.
Since it no longer involves DXC, but appears to be a WSJT-X > SDRC >
OmniRig > IC-7300 problem, I won't trouble the list with any more
details. I have a long explanation with pictures and settings, but
that has no place on this list.
Without the details, this is where he is stuck and I'll leave it at
that. Thanks for trying to help:
In synopsis.. I can run WSJTX   __OR__   SDRC but not both Using
OmniRig and trying for full CAT between all devices.
I CAN use SDRC, WSJTX and a Kwd TS2000  all at once and have full
CAT/PTT between all players.
+ What is "SDRC"?

Hasan Schiers N0AN

SDR Console v3, sometimes known as SDR Radio. Software for the SDR dongles

Hasan

+ AA6YQ comments below

@ more AA6YQ comments below

@ If that's the case, he should connect "SDR Console" to Commander's Secondary CAT port. That will eliminate the problem of two different applications trying to control the same transceiver via the same COM port.