Topics

Adding old QSL cards to DXKeeper

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comment sbelow

Thanks for the superb assistance to you and to everyone else who responded to this thread. I finally imported all band countries (387) to my DXKeeper log and the total now matches that which the online DXCC files are showing. It was difficult figuring out how to get everything to work right, but once I did I must say that DXKeeper did a slick job updating my logs!

+ I'm glad that you succeeded, Bill, but I'd appreciate a summary of the difficulties you encountered so that I can improve the documentation.

Bill - AA4M

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the superb assistance to you and to everyone else who responded to this thread.  I finally imported all band countries (387) to my DXKeeper log and the total now matches that which the online DXCC files are showing.  It was difficult figuring out how to get everything to work right, but once I did I must say that DXKeeper did a slick job updating my logs!

Thanks again & 73,
Bill - AA4M

On 11/22/2020 18:51:34, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I have about 1,000 old QSL cards, some dating back to the 1960's, that I'd like to add to DXKeeper, just so that the progress report somewhat matches what the ARRL has on their records.  A number of deleted countries are included in the 1,000.  Hopefully all I'll need to add are Call, Date (Year only hopefully?), Band and Mode.  None of the other information is needed (time, grid, etc.) for my purposes, at least I don't think it is.  My current DXKeeper database starts in 2018, so I may need to change the starting date from how I originally configured DXLab 2 years ago.

What do I need to do to simplify entry of all these cards?

+ DXKeeper can be configured to optimize for the entry of "already-completed" QSOs from paper logbooks or QSL cards. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogCompletedMain.htm>

+ Getting familiar with DXKeeper's keyboard shortcuts will help speed QSO entry:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/KeyboardShortcuts.htm>

+ When you enter a callsign, DXKeeper will select the appropriate DXCC entity based on current callsign=>entity rules. That selection may be incorrect for older QSOs, particularly those with now-deleted entities. Perform the correction based on the information specified on each QSL card. There's a set DXKeeper scripts that will update logged QSOs with the appropriate DXCC entity based on the callsign and the QSO date, but your QSL cards are generally a more authoritative source; as with everything else in DXing, there are exceptions.

+ You must specify a valid date-and-time with each QSO. If you're going to take the time to enter these QSOs, I suggest that you accurately capture the year, month, and day; leaving the times at 0Z would be fine.

+ If you're not that concerned about accuracy, and alternative to adding manually logging completed QSOs to match your DXCC credits is to have DXKeeper download your DXCC credits from the ARRL, and fabricate "credit-only QSOs". This functionality is described here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Progress.htm#Managing%20DXCC%20Credits>

+ Before you can fabricate "credit-only QSO", you must first direct DXKeeper to link each of your DXCC credits to a logged QSO, if possible; typically, 25% of your DXCC credits from QSL cards you submitted to the ARRL DXCC desk will have to be manually linked to logged QSOs due to data entry errors or shortcuts taken by the DXCC desk. DXKeeper can then be directed to fabricate a QSO for each DXCC credit not linked to a logged QSO.

+ Step-by-step instructions are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ManageDXCCCredits>

+ and here

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateCreditOnlyQSOs>

+ If you choose this approach, be sure to make a backup copy of your log before you start.

Joe Subich, W4TV

* Good point, Joe! The incorrect DXCC assignments could be rectified by running the "Fix Scripts" you developed:
The "fix" scripts do not identify any deleted countries except for
Czechoslovakia, East Germany, the Canal Zone, PJ (Bonaire/Curacao)
and PJ (St.Maarten, Saba, St. Eustatius) unless something else has
been deleted in the 10 years or so since I last worked on some of
those scripts.

Even so, the scripts only deal with "entities" where the callsign has
changed countries (e.g., ex-USSR, ex-Yugoslavia, US Territories).

On 2020-11-23 4:57 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
* AA6YQ comments below

> + Fast Log Entry is a fine application, but
If I recall correctly FLE does not assign "country" information to the QSO *or* provide a way to provide the "Country Number". As such, all QSOs entered using FLE in imported into DXKeeper will be assigned *the current country* based on callsign prefix.
This will not meet the objective of entering Deleted countries into DXKeeper. Using DXkeeper's Main "QSO Entry" screen and selecting the correct country using the 'drop down' menu is much more likely to produce a more satisfactory result.
* Good point, Joe! The incorrect DXCC assignments could be rectified by running the "Fix Scripts" you developed:
https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CorrectDXCCEntity
* but I agree with your recommendation to use DXKeeper's Main window (with the "Optimized for realtime QSO Entry" option disabled).
* Using keyboard shortcuts to quickly position the mouse cursor is the key to fast log entry with DXKeeper.

On 2020-11-23 3:08 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Did you ever try FastLogEntry software <https://www.df3cb.com/fle/> <https://www.df3cb.com/fle/> (free)? Easy way from paper log (og qsl cards) to adif file. It would help to have the cards sorted by date. From there you can import into DXKeeper.
+ Fast Log Entry is a fine application, but
1. it provides no error detection and reporting when you log a QSO; if errors are detected when you direct DXKeeper to import the ADIF file generated by Fast Log Entry, you may have to return to the source (a QSL card in this case) to obtain the information needed to correct the error
2. ops who have used both Fast Log Entry and DXKeeper (with "optimize for realtime QSO entry" disabled, and with full use of keyboard shortcuts) report that the rate at which they can enter QSOs is higher with DXKeeper

Did you ever try FastLogEntry software <https://www.df3cb.com/fle/> <https://www.df3cb.com/fle/> (free)? Easy way from paper log (og qsl cards) to adif file. It would help to have the cards sorted by date. From there you can import into DXKeeper.

+ Fast Log Entry is a fine application, but

1. it provides no error detection and reporting when you log a QSO; if errors are detected when you direct DXKeeper to import the ADIF file generated by Fast Log Entry, you may have to return to the source (a QSL card in this case) to obtain the information needed to correct the error

2. ops who have used both Fast Log Entry and DXKeeper (with "optimize for realtime QSO entry" disabled, and with full use of keyboard shortcuts) report that the rate at which they can enter QSOs is higher with DXKeeper

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive information Dave. Unfortunately after studying the message and digging into the links you provided, I have not fully resolved my situation. Here's where I stand:

- I saved a copy of the AA4M.mdb file in another folder.

- I've downloaded the DXCC credits and have more than 1,000 showing on the report. BTW - this run took about 45 minutes, this is with a FAST connection and a FAST computer, hi.

+ The information is downloaded in HTML from an ARRL server; your DXCC credits are then extracted from this information, and (if possible) linked with your logged QSOs.

- What I'd like to do now is delete all the records that don't include 4 items (Call, Date, Band, Mode) and upload the remainder to my database. Then want to be able to see these new contacts in any award reports but do NOT want to upload them to LotW.

+ You should not delete any downloaded credits.

+ Of the "more than 1000" DXCC credits that you downloaded, how many of them was DXKeeper able to link to your logged QSOs?

+ Of the downloaded DXCC credits that DXKeeper could not automatically link to your logged QSOs, how many were you able to manually link to a logged QSO?

+ DXCC credits that cannot be linked to a logged QSO because no such QSO is present in your log can be used as a source of information to fabricate each missing QSO (a so-called "credit-only QSO) so that DXKeeper's DXCC Credit statistics will match the ARRL's DXCC statistics. However, the automation that does this should not be invoked until you're certain that every DXCC Credit that can be linked to a logged QSO, has been linked to a logged QSO.

Bill - AA4M

Good tip, I'll give it a try!

Thanks, Bill  AA4M

On 11/23/2020 10:44:15, Knut Meland wrote:

Did you ever try FastLogEntry software <https://www.df3cb.com/fle/> (free)? Easy way from paper log (og qsl cards) to adif file. It would help to have the cards sorted by date. From there you can import into DXKeeper.

73 de Knut LA9RY

Den 23.11.2020 16.47, skrev Bill - AA4M:
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive information Dave.  Unfortunately after studying the message and digging into the links you provided, I have not fully resolved my situation.  Here's where I stand:

- I saved a copy of the AA4M.mdb file in another folder.

- I've downloaded the DXCC credits and have more than 1,000 showing on the report.  BTW - this run took about 45 minutes, this is with a FAST connection and a FAST computer, hi.

- What I'd like to do now is delete all the records that don't include 4 items (Call, Date, Band, Mode) and upload the remainder to my database.  Then want to be able to see these new contacts in any award reports but do NOT want to upload them to LotW.

It seems this should be easy to do, but in reading all the information you've provided I'm more confused than ever!

Can you help?

[...]

Knut Meland

[...]

Thanks & 73,
Bill  AA4M