60 Meter Real time Award Tracking

WA8Y Steven

I am starting to use 60 meters FT8 and I am happy to work new DX.
But it there a way to RAT on 60 meters?

I am starting to use 60 meters FT8 and I am happy to work new DX.
But it there a way to RAT on 60 meters?

+ There is no realtime award tracking for DXCC entities on 60m because the ARRL DXCC award does not count QSOs made on 60m. The rationale for this: the band is too small to support DXing.

Dave / NR1DX

Dave

Curious have you personally operated on 60M FT8 on 5357?

Dave
NR1DX

On 11/18/2020 8:00 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

+ There is no realtime award tracking for DXCC entities on 60m because the ARRL DXCC award does not count QSOs made on 60m. The rationale for this: the band is too small to support DXing.

Dave Manuals@ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com

Curious have you personally operated on 60M FT8 on 5357?

+ I have monitored the frequency with WSJT-X once or twice, but not made any FT8 QSOs on that band. I've made exactly one QSO on 60m - in SSB back in 2014.

+ Bouvet Island is one of the 4 DXCC entities I have not confirmed in a digital mode; if a station from Bouvet were QRV 60m FT8 Fox/Hound, I would not attempt to work it; even if the spot notes said "begging!".

Dave / NR1DX

Was just curious.  I know you your position on ARRL and the band and am not here to debate it

FT8 has put 60M on the map so to speak .You can work the "equivalent" of DXCC on 60M FT8 5357 these days in a matter of months (I am at 125 after a year)  . I have resorted to using an Excel spread sheet to keep track of it. Something to to do when there are no new ones to work on the other bands, we have a friendly local competition here on that band. Most dxpeditions spend some time on 60M by popular demand these days (7Q7RU was on there last night ..though they didn't work the standard 5357 and were out of "slot" for USA)

Try it you might like it if you work FT8 at all. CW and SSB are largely non existent though

Keep up the good work

Dave
NR1DX

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 06:39 PM, Dave / NR1DX wrote:
Was just curious.  I know you your position on ARRL and the band and am not here to debate it

FT8 has put 60M on the map so to speak .You can work the "equivalent" of DXCC on 60M FT8 5357 these days in a matter of months (I am at 125 after a year)  . I have resorted to using an Excel spread sheet to keep track of it. Something to to do when there are no new ones to work on the other bands, we have a friendly local competition here on that band. Most dxpeditions spend some time on 60M by popular demand these days (7Q7RU was on there last night ..though they didn't work the standard 5357 and were out of "slot" for USA)

Try it you might like it if you work FT8 at all. CW and SSB are largely non existent though

Keep up the good work

+ DXKeeper will generate a progress report for DXCC on 60m: filter the Log Page Display with

Band='60m'

+ and then click the Progress button in the "DXCC, Challenge, and TopList" panel on the Main window's "Check Progress" tab; the "Mixed" stats will show your 60m accomplishments. You can create a script that performs both the filtering and progress report generation steps.

+ New DXCC Challenge counters are few and far between, so while waiting for an F2 opening on 6m (2023, maybe?), my informal objective is to confirm all DXCC entities in FT8.

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

IF the Rebel DX Group do go to Bouvet, they will definitely be operating FT8 – but highly unlikely that they will work 60m!!  Simply not sufficient volume of operators there to make it worthwhile, when they can run either 40m or 80m with massive pileups!!

The Russian Robinson crew in Malawi on the other hand ARE operating 60m FT8 – worked them last night for my #101 on the band…. But Malawi is nowhere near as rare as Bouvet!!

The REALLY rare ones aren’t going to waste time on 60m…

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

EPC#0558 DMC#1690  30MDG#4081

DXCC HONOR ROLL (332/340)

website : www.zs2ez.co.za

Curious have you personally operated on 60M FT8 on 5357?

+ I have monitored the frequency with WSJT-X once or twice, but not made any FT8 QSOs on that band. I've made exactly one QSO on 60m - in SSB back in 2014.

+ Bouvet Island is one of the 4 DXCC entities I have not confirmed in a digital mode; if a station from Bouvet were QRV 60m FT8 Fox/Hound, I would not attempt to work it; even if the spot notes said "begging!".

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Hi Dave (NR1DX)

Do you have the DXKeeper Scripts that Dave (AA6YQ) made available for
checking 60m Entities worked and 60m States worked? Makes keeping track of
60m totals very easy....

If you don't have them pop me a mail and I will send them your way....

[...]

Carl - WC4H

Hi Dave.

Create a script with these lines for 60m WAS:
delete <ReportsFolder>60m_WAS*.txt
filter Band = '60m'
Report us_states <ReportsFolder>60m_WAS.txt

Create one with these lines for 60m DXCC.

delete <ReportsFolder>60m_DXCC*.txt
filter Band = '60m'
Report DXCC <ReportsFolder>60m_DXCC.txt

Then just run the script from DXK.  They run pretty fast.
I have mine delete the previous report but you can skip that if you wish.

73.
Carl - WC4H

F.R. Ashley

NR1DX and others...

Lately I have been trying to finish off 80 meter DXCC and stuck around
the 90 confirmed mark.   I haven't been seeing much DX on 80M FT8 lately
so for the heck of it I went to 60M, and man, the band was jammed with
DX stations!  Now I know why I'm not seeing much on 80.

Back in January I was in St. Kitts and when I called CQ on 60 it sounded
like half of EU answered and I ran a string of EUs for a few hours.  I
know the V4 prefixed helped a lot but I was surprised at the amount of
interest on 60 meters seeing how none of the QSO's are good for any
awards. I had several direct QSL requests for a card.  Perhaps they have
worked everything on all the other bands and looking for a new thrill, hi.

73 Buddy WB4M

On 11/18/2020 9:39 PM, Dave / NR1DX wrote:
Was just curious.  I know you your position on ARRL and the band and
am not here to debate it

FT8 has put 60M on the map so to speak .You can work the "equivalent"
of DXCC on 60M FT8 5357 these days in a matter of months (I am at 125
after a year

Dave / NR1DX

All

 I would not suppose to speak for AA6YQ, but he has made his position on this clear several times in the past.
When ARRL recognizes 60M QSO's for DXCC , then DX LAB will follow suit ...and NOT until.

Rather than assail the "60M chicken" here tying up bandwidth. The next question  what would be a BETTER FORUM to get the ARRL's attention and change their mind set on their "60M EGG"?

Dave
NR1DX

--
Dave Manuals@ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2020-11-19 2:58 PM, Dave / NR1DX wrote:
Rather than assail the "60M chicken" here tying up bandwidth. The next
question what would be a BETTER FORUM to get the ARRL's attention and
change their mind set on their "60M EGG"?
The forum would be one-on-one with your ARRL Director. HOWEVER, be
aware that the current policy is set by the Board with input from the
Association's FCC attorney. There are two issues at stake ... NTIA
who control 5MHz on behalf of *GOVERNMENT USERS* who are primary there
does not like amateur use of those five frequencies. Continued action
by US amateurs to ignore the current rules at 5 MHz puts implementation
of the 50 KHz wide band approved at the last WARC is jeopardy.

I seriously doubt that ARRL will make any policy change that will
cause increased friction and/or decrease the chances of getting US
access to the worldwide 5 MHz allocation.

On 2020-11-19 2:58 PM, Dave / NR1DX wrote:
All
[...]

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Bravo, Joe, I couldn't agree more.
73, N0AN
Hasan

On 2020-11-19 2:58 PM, Dave / NR1DX wrote:
> All
>
>   I would not suppose to speak for AA6YQ, but he has made his position
> on this clear several times in the past.
> When ARRL recognizes 60M QSO's for DXCC , then DX LAB will follow suit
> ...and NOT until.
>
> Rather than assail the "60M chicken" here tying up bandwidth. The next
> question  what would be a BETTER FORUM to get the ARRL's attention and
> change their mind set on their "60M EGG"?
>
> Dave
> NR1DX
>
> On 11/19/2020 1:28 PM, F.R. Ashley wrote:
>> NR1DX and others...
>>
>> Lately I have been trying to finish off 80 meter DXCC and stuck around
>> the 90 confirmed mark.�� I haven't been seeing much DX on 80M FT8 lately
>> so for the heck of it I went to 60M, and man, the band was jammed with
>> DX stations!� Now I know why I'm not seeing much on 80.
>>
>> Back in January I was in St. Kitts and when I called CQ on 60 it sounded
>> like half of EU answered and I ran a string of EUs for a few hours.� I
>> know the V4 prefixed helped a lot but I was surprised at the amount of
>> interest on 60 meters seeing how none of the QSO's are good for any
>> awards. I had several direct QSL requests for a card.� Perhaps they have
>> worked everything on all the other bands and looking for a new thrill,
>> hi.
>>
>> 73 Buddy WB4M
>>
>> On 11/18/2020 9:39 PM, Dave / NR1DX wrote:
>>> Was just curious.� I know you your position on ARRL and the band and
>>> am not here to debate it
>>>
>>> FT8 has put 60M on the map so to speak .You can work the "equivalent"
>>> of DXCC on 60M FT8 5357 these days in a matter of months (I am at 125
>>> after a year

Dave AA6YQ

Another forum for expressing your views on including 60m in DXCC awards:

<https://groups.arrl.org/g/ARRL-Awards/messages>

This forum is open to everyone; ARRL membership is not required.

Andrew OBrien

For USA I thought the guidelines were that there is only one correct frequency for the digital signal to be transmitted on , as such spreading out FT8-style would not be in keeping with those expected practices . Even if it is only over a few hundred Hertz. Additionally , those early guidelines stated only one QSO at a time on each channel . So several stations transmitting CQ in FT8 would not be adhering to the guidelines . I objected so the guidelines at that time , but I am unaware that they have changed . Hence it seems to me that it is not a good idea to use FT8 on that band if in USA.

Andy