From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Hasan Schiers N0AN
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2020 6:07 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] GrayLine

I've been playing with DXView's Sunrise/Sunset table which is wonderful for looking at potential 160m openings (and 80/40) and I saw the choice available for Grayline...but every time I choose it, after having input a callsign that shows Sunrise/Sunset, the list of SR/SS goes away (as it should) but the Grayline is blank.

How do I make use of the Grayline feature in non-realtime?

(or even real time for that matter)

73, N0AN

Hasan

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Certainly, but while playing around with the feature, how do I test it. I can't sit around entering 300 different countries hoping one will show Grayline.

I was looking for something more efficient to examine potential grayline passes, as it were.

There must be a better way .   :-)

73,
Hasan

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 6:40 AM Julio Peralta via groups.io <jperalta4=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Could it be that the country you have selected doesn’t have grey line propagation useful for your location?

Julio, W4HY

I've been playing with DXView's Sunrise/Sunset table which is wonderful for looking at potential 160m openings (and 80/40) and I saw the choice available for Grayline...but every time I choose it, after having input a callsign that shows Sunrise/Sunset, the list of SR/SS goes away (as it should) but the Grayline is blank.

How do I make use of the Grayline feature in non-realtime?

(or even real time for that matter)

73, N0AN

Hasan

I found it, it's in the docs:

+ Writing this article led me to  ask the question "what would the plot of all locations with which there's never a grayline opening from my QTH look like?"

+ I know one way to answer this question: plot the solar terminator from my QTH every minute over the course of 365 days, and see what's left uncolored, but I haven't gotten around to doing so.

+ Anyone know a more direct way to answer this question?

I found it, it's in the docs:
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/IdentifyGrayLineOpenings

+ DXView's Gray-Line functionality is also described in its reference documentation:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/Operation.htm#Displaying_Gray-Line_Times>

w6de

Hassan, DXAtlas is an alternate map in DXView.  I use DXAtlas in the AZIMUTHAL view with my QTH at the center of the map and Grey line turned on.  Not only does that view show the Correct pointing angle (Azimuth) for my antenna, it shows the daylight and sunlit areas of the world.  DXAtlas has on the bottom of the display arrows for advancing and retarding the time in: minutes, hours and days and days, weeks and months.  This does not build a table of common gray line visibility, but you can sure figure it out quickly.

In Azimuthal view you can see, in a straight line, the areas your beam is covering.  Which also shows the areas between you and the station you may be trying to work, And thus the potential QRM areas you are working over/through.

It is not free but has a free 30 day trial period.  I find it an indispensable tool for my low band operations.

73,

Dave, w6de

[...]

+ DXView can also plot worked and confirmed grid squares on the DX Atlas world map; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GridPlottingDXAtlas>

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ I know one way to answer this question: plot the solar terminator
from my QTH every minute over the course of 365 days, and see what's
left uncolored, but I haven't gotten around to doing so.
You probably don't need to plot every minute ... 60 minutes each side
of sunrise and sunset should be more than enough. I'd run the boundary
cases at +/- 30 or +/- 60 minutes and look at anything between the two.

You can also simplify further by not running every day particularly in
December/June as SR/SS does not change that quickly around the solstice.

On 2020-11-08 1:54 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I found it, it's in the docs:
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/IdentifyGrayLineOpenings
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/IdentifyGrayLineOpenings>
+ Writing this article led me to  ask the question "what would the plot of all locations with which there's never a grayline opening from my QTH look like?"
+ I know one way to answer this question: plot the solar terminator from my QTH every minute over the course of 365 days, and see what's left uncolored, but I haven't gotten around to doing so.
+ Anyone know a more direct way to answer this question?

Jim McPhee

Regarding the display of grid squares in DXAtlas.
I wondered why under Map/Grid, Bearing/Distance and Grid Squares were greyed out. Turns out I was using the "Globe" display. I found this in DXAtlas "Help":

Latitude/Longitude, Bearing/Distance and Grid Squares options select the grid that will be displayed on the map.
Note that the Bearing/Distance grid is available only in the Azimuthal projection while Grid Squares is displayed only in the Rectangular projection.

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

Regarding the display of grid squares in DXAtlas.
I wondered why under Map/Grid, Bearing/Distance and Grid Squares were greyed out. Turns out I was using the "Globe" display. I found this in DXAtlas "Help":

+ I've updated step 1 in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GridPlottingDXAtlas>

+ to make it explicit that the Rectangular map style must be selected.

Latitude/Longitude, Bearing/Distance and Grid Squares options select the grid that will be displayed on the map.
Note that the Bearing/Distance grid is available only in the Azimuthal projection while Grid Squares is displayed only in the Rectangular projection.

+ In DX Atlas version 2.3, the latitude, longitude, bearing, and distance are all displayed in the lower left corner for all three available map styles (Rectangular, Azimuthal, Globe).

Hasan Schiers N0AN

The SR/SS tables are particularly valuable to me in that they come into play every day, with the pre and post dawn enhancement on 160/80/40 meters. (I don't operated in the evenings)

Grayline is more limited by season, but perhaps more spectacularly revealing if one pays attention.

I am very pleased with the tables, as they are easy to follow and I can set an alarm on my phone to go check the bands of interest at the right times. I do have DXAtlas, etc, but I don't use it much. The vast  majority of what I want to know is already provided by DXView and DXK, and Propview if needed. I tend to get overwhelmed by too much graphical presentation.

The Sun tables are outstanding. Comparing them to PSKReporter overnight (late afternoon to post sunrise next day) is most interesting. I usually let my two radios (TS-590sg and an SDR) sit on 80 and 160 or 160 and 40 overnight and look to see what has been spotted  when I come down in the morning.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:00 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ It's nice to hear about this functionality being put to good use.

+ Chasing needed spots is effective when you're just starting to pursue a DXing award, but as your award progress curve begins to flatten out, exploiting propagation becomes a more productive strategy. As the solar flux rises during this part of the solar cycle, many long-dormant openings will become available on 30m and up. Even if you don't make FT8 QSOs, using a local WSJT-X instance as a spot source will provide direct information about what your station can hear, and when it can hear it; methodically doing so may reveal seasonal openings that you didn't know existed!

VK5OM@...

Don't know whether I should start a new thread but this may also answer the question.

I noticed a lot of my contacts were the same grid square. (sometimes in FT8 the contact does not have a grid or contacts directly with rx strength) Then I got a report from QRZ where my contact grid reported was not the same as the grid I reported in the log.

Where is the data coming from for the station in DXview?

Don't know whether I should start a new thread but this may also answer the question.

I noticed a lot of my contacts were the same grid square. (sometimes in FT8 the contact does not have a grid or contacts directly with rx strength) Then I got a report from QRZ where my contact grid reported was not the same as the grid I reported in the log.

Where is the data coming from for the station in DXview?

+ DXView queries the USAP and DXCC databases to determine a station's location: see the Databases section of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DxInfo>

+ SpotCollector can extract location information from spot notes, provided by the station who submitted the spot, by a DX cluster configured to perform callbook lookups, or by WSJT-X either directly, or via JT-Alert (if appropriately configured). When you double-click a Spot Database Entry, this location information is used to populate the Capture window. With WSJT-X interoperating directly with DXLab, logging a QSO in WSJT-X will log the grid square specify by WSJT-X unless you've specified an override:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateEntityOverride>

+ This article describes how DXKeeper determine's a station's location when directed to log a QSO that doesn't specify location information:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DetermineStationLocation>