Topics

log file on thumb drive?

K5ZM

Hi all…

I recently stumbled across a 3 year old thread dealing with having DXK on multiple computers. After several comments about using Dropbox, someone made the suggestion to simply throw the logfile on a thumb drive as the simplest way to go. Since 3 years have gone by, I’m wondering if this is still the case. Sure makes sense to my non tech brain 😉.

Perhaps an explanation of my usage will help get my question across:

I make occasional road trips to do grid roving and have my laptop with me. At this point, DXK is installed on my desktop only. At the end of each day, I use the standalone TQSL to upload my Qs and will eventually enter those Qs onto my desktop after returning home. Tedious, to say the least. Sure sounds like going the thumb drive route would be the savior (after installing DXK on the laptop, of course), or am I oversimplifying things here?

Tnx es 73

Ian, K5ZM

ve3ki

That's exactly what I used to do when I visited with family in Winnipeg and operated from there. Before the trip, I copied the DXKeeper database from the shack desktop computer to my laptop. While there I logged the contacts I made into DXKeeper on the laptop, and I used DXKeeper in exactly the same way I did at home. When I got back home, I simply copied the database back onto the shack computer.

Because I operated from two (or more) different locations, I had set up multiple QTHids in DXKeeper (<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/MultipleQTHs.htm>), but that had nothing to do with using two computers, it was because I operated from multiple locations. I would have had to do that even if I had only used the same computer the whole time.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 05:05 PM, K5ZM wrote:

[...]

Tnx, Rich. I, too, have multiple QTHs defined for the various grids operate from. Hmm… hopefully I can find the location where that data is stored and just copy that over to the laptop as opposed to recreating ‘em manually.

[...]

+ Conceptually, that should work. Depending upon the speed of the thumb drive, you may notice degraded performance compared to a hard drive or SSD. Before removing the thumb drive from whichever of your desktop or laptop it is currently connected,

1. terminate DXKeeper

2. direct Windows to eject the thumb drive

+ Then

3. remove the thumb drive, and insert it into your "other" computer

4. start DXKeeper on your "other computer", and confirm your the most recently-logged QSOs are present

+ Failure to perform steps 1 and 2 could result in loss of log data or even log corruption. Thus I suggest making a new backup copy of your log after each road trip.

Tnx, Rich. I, too, have multiple QTHs defined for the various grids operate from. Hmm… hopefully I can find the location where that data is stored and just copy that over to the laptop as opposed to recreating ‘em manually.

+ All of the information on the Main window's "my QTHs" tab is stored in a table in your log file. Thus when you move your log file from one computer to another, the "my QTH" info will automatically be moved with it.

+ You will want to configure your laptop with the same files, databases, and settings you have on your desktop. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs>

K5ZM

QSL, Dave. 😊