Topics

CBA and Nicknames

Jay M

In DXKeeper, using CBA callbook address lookup with Pathfinder, I find that if a name on QRZ has a nickname inserted (Edward "Eddie" Jones for example), the name field and first line of address is not filled in the QSO record.

See NL7XT, W8RES and KF5F for nickname examples.

Thanks, Jay WBØL

In DXKeeper, using CBA callbook address lookup with Pathfinder, I find that if a name on QRZ has a nickname inserted (Edward "Eddie" Jones for example), the name field and first line of address is not filled in the QSO record.

See NL7XT, W8RES and KF5F for nickname examples.

+ QRZ's XML data service does not report an op's nickname; see

<https://www.qrz.com/XML/current_spec.html>;

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

In DXKeeper, using CBA callbook address lookup with Pathfinder, I find that if a name on QRZ has a nickname inserted (Edward "Eddie" Jones for example), the name field and first line of address is not filled in the QSO record.

See NL7XT, W8RES and KF5F for nickname examples.

+ QRZ's XML data service does not report an op's nickname; see

<https://www.qrz.com/XML/current_spec.html>;
I think that's beside the point when the question is about PathFinder, no ?

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

In DXKeeper, using CBA callbook address lookup with Pathfinder, I find that if a name on QRZ has a nickname inserted (Edward "Eddie" Jones for example), the name field and first line of address is not filled in the QSO record.

See NL7XT, W8RES and KF5F for nickname examples.

+ QRZ's XML data service does not report an op's nickname; see

<https://www.qrz.com/XML/current_spec.html>;
I think that's beside the point when the question is about PathFinder, no ?

+ Having "QRZ via Pathfinder" and "QRZ via XML data" return different results would be a support nightmare.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:43 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

In DXKeeper, using CBA callbook address lookup with Pathfinder, I find that if a name on QRZ has a nickname inserted (Edward "Eddie" Jones for example), the name field and first line of address is not filled in the QSO record.

See NL7XT, W8RES and KF5F for nickname examples.

+ QRZ's XML data service does not report an op's nickname; see

<https://www.qrz.com/XML/current_spec.html>;
I think that's beside the point when the question is about PathFinder, no ?

+ Having "QRZ via Pathfinder" and "QRZ via XML data" return different results would be a support nightmare.
I don't use it, but I thought that PathFinder does HTML scraping, for
those who don't have an XML subscription? It seems they'd inherently
produce potentially different results, since the HTML is not in a
published/defined format?

If I'm reading the OP's report correctly, it seems that something
about QRZ.COM profiles that include nicknames is causing the HTML
scraping to produce a result that's inconsistent with those that do
not have a nickname. It's not just that the nickname is not
represented, but that the first name and the first line of the address
are missing too. I haven't attempted to reproduce the issue, so can't
confirm it.

73,

~iain / N6ML

I don't use it, but I thought that PathFinder does HTML scraping, for those who don't have an XML subscription?

+ It does.

It seems they'd inherently produce potentially different results, since the HTML is not in a published/defined format?

+ I've been careful to keep them consistent.

If I'm reading the OP's report correctly, it seems that something about QRZ.COM profiles that include nicknames is causing the HTML scraping to produce a result that's inconsistent with those that do not have a nickname. It's not just that the nickname is not represented, but that the first name and the first line of the address are missing too. I haven't attempted to reproduce the issue, so can't confirm it.

+ The nickname is sufficiently-well identified in the QRZ.com HTML for Pathfinder to extract it and report it. Is don't know for how long this has been the case, as few callsigns specify nicknames, and QRZ does not announce such changes.

Jay M

To clarify, I'm not concerned whether there is a nickname displayed or not.  Just noticed that a nickname in quotes was the key difference to Pathfinder lookups that return a blank name and first line of address blank.

Thanks, Jay WBØL

To clarify, I'm not concerned whether there is a nickname displayed or not. Just noticed that a nickname in quotes was the key difference to Pathfinder lookups that return a blank name and first line of address blank.

+ That's happening because the insertion of the nickname breaks Pathfinder's ability to extract the first name and address.

+ QRZ is certainly free to change their web page however and whenever they like, but the impression of apparent unreliability this evokes when one of their unannounced changes breaks Pathfinder -- particularly among new users -- is leading me to consider dropping "QRZ.com via Pathinder" as a callbook option in DXKeeper.

David Reed

So Dave, if you drop them, what would replace them? Many of us do not buy callbook CDs, etc.

Thanks!

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM David Reed <w5sv.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

So Dave, if you drop them, what would replace them? Many of us do not buy callbook CDs, etc.
Alternatives are listed at https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup

I've been using HamQTH (the only other "free" option, I suppose). It
seems to work OK... but CBA data is not really important to me, since
I've mostly stopped doing paper cards.

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Sep 30, 2020, at 17:28, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

To clarify, I'm not concerned whether there is a nickname displayed or not. Just noticed that a nickname in quotes was the key difference to Pathfinder lookups that return a blank name and first line of address blank.

+ That's happening because the insertion of the nickname breaks Pathfinder's ability to extract the first name and address.

+ QRZ is certainly free to change their web page however and whenever they like, but the impression of apparent unreliability this evokes when one of their unannounced changes breaks Pathfinder -- particularly among new users -- is leading me to consider dropping "QRZ.com via Pathinder" as a callbook option in DXKeeper.

So Dave, if you drop them, what would replace them? Many of us do not buy callbook CDs, etc.

+ HamQTH has long been a Callbook option. Access to it is free.

Jim N7US

I appreciate being able to use QRZ.com's XML data service, which I use primarily when importing contest logs.

Jim N7US

[...]

+ QRZ.com's XML data service is explicitly designed for access by applications like DXKeeper. When changes have been made, they've been documented in advance; they've also been "upward compatible", meaning that they didn't break existing functionality.

To clarify, I'm not concerned whether there is a nickname displayed or not. Just noticed that a nickname in quotes was the key difference to Pathfinder lookups that return a blank name and first line of address blank.

+ Jay, I have emailed you a new version of Pathfinder that correctly extracts the first name and street address from an op's QRZ web page when a nickname is specified. Please let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Gilbert Baron W0MN

NOOOOOOOOOOooooo, PLEASE do not do that. I agree they are nuts to make these changes the way they do but then on the other hand they have so man features that I and others use and I do not want to have to pay for multiple databases.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

To clarify, I'm not concerned whether there is a nickname displayed or not. Just noticed that a nickname in quotes was the key difference to Pathfinder lookups that return a blank name and first line of address blank.

+ That's happening because the insertion of the nickname breaks Pathfinder's ability to extract the first name and address.

+ QRZ is certainly free to change their web page however and whenever they like, but the impression of apparent unreliability this evokes when one of their unannounced changes breaks Pathfinder -- particularly among new users -- is leading me to consider dropping "QRZ.com via Pathinder" as a callbook option in DXKeeper.

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Gilbert Baron W0MN

SORRY, I did not read that carefully. I use the XML lookup that I pay for and many other features. I did not note that you were referring to the web page lookup. Dropping that would probably happen eventually anyway as you have to deal with both the changes by QRZ and the use of an obsolete browser.

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Jay M

Dave - I installed the test version of Pathfinder sent and it resolved the issue with QRZ nicknames.

Thanks for providing this great support!

73, Jay WB0L

Dave - I installed the test version of Pathfinder sent and it resolved the issue with QRZ nicknames.

+ Thanks for the testing and report, Jay!

+ I'll make a public release as soon as Microsoft Security Intelligence completes its assessment.