Commander Multi Radio Secondary cat Port


Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>
 

Dave, I use a SPE amp > PC connected to Commander 2nd cat following a FTDX101MP (radio 1), and a KX3 (radio 2),

also connected to the SPE in the same way, on a 2nd cat connection.

On Commander I can switch between 101 and KX3 in operation and toggle input 1 and 2 on the SPE to match.

However i have to manually reconfigure the secondary cat connection to the SPE for KX3 operation.

Is there a way in MultiRadio section to provide a secondary cat list 1-4 CAT type & port settings to match radio 1-4, so

when radio is changed, the matching secondary CAT profile with its settings is auto set with the radio change ?


Thankyou for any consideration or remedy for this


Adrian Fewster


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, I use a SPE amp > PC connected to Commander 2nd cat following a FTDX101MP (radio 1), and a KX3 (radio 2),

also connected to the SPE in the same way, on a 2nd cat connection.

On Commander I can switch between 101 and KX3 in operation and toggle input 1 and 2 on the SPE to match.

However i have to manually reconfigure the secondary cat connection to the SPE for KX3 operation.

+ Manually reconfigure the secondary CAT port in what way?

+ I have Commander controlling my two primary transceivers (IC-7800 and Flex 6500), and my SPE amp connected to the secondary CAT port configured to "follow" the current primary transceiver. No reconfiguration is required when I switch primary transceivers.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>
 

Dave, not sure if they vary in design but with the 1.5KFA when you switch to 2nd txcr input,

the required CAT connection shifts to the 2nd CAT connector also, which I have setup to PC, and it is on a different PC comport.

I am following the primary CAT with the SPE secondary Commander cat connection for both profiles, mainly for the 101 so it will also follow

SUB freq (on direct SPE<>Yaesu 101 cat conn, sub freq read is not possible), and it is also convenient with the KX3, no extra cables/adaptors needed.

So on your SPE amp how do you make one of the two CAT connectors work with both inputs? Perhaps your model SPE only has one CAT connection ?


Mine has two, one for each radio.


Thanks for the quick response.


Adrian Fewster

On 27/8/20 2:54 am, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, I use a SPE amp > PC connected to Commander 2nd cat following a FTDX101MP (radio 1), and a KX3 (radio 2),

also connected to the SPE in the same way, on a 2nd cat connection.

On Commander I can switch between 101 and KX3 in operation and toggle input 1 and 2 on the SPE to match.

However i have to manually reconfigure the secondary cat connection to the SPE for KX3 operation.

+ Manually reconfigure the secondary CAT port in what way?

+ I have Commander controlling my two primary transceivers (IC-7800 and Flex 6500), and my SPE amp connected to the secondary CAT port configured to "follow" the current primary transceiver. No reconfiguration is required when I switch primary transceivers.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ




Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, not sure if they vary in design but with the 1.5KFA when you switch to 2nd txcr input,

the required CAT connection shifts to the 2nd CAT connector also, which I have setup to PC, and it is on a different PC comport.

I am following the primary CAT with the SPE secondary Commander cat connection for both profiles, mainly for the 101 so it will also follow

SUB freq (on direct SPE<>Yaesu 101 cat conn, sub freq read is not possible), and it is also convenient with the KX3, no extra cables/adaptors needed.

So on your SPE amp how do you make one of the two CAT connectors work with both inputs? Perhaps your model SPE only has one CAT connection ?

+ My 2K-FA has two antenna input and CAT connectors, as does your 1.5KFA -- but I only use one of them. I wanted the ability to switch between primary transceivers with one mouse click on Commander's Main window (or the execution of a user-defined command sequence), so I assembled my own set of antenna, paddle, microphone, footswitch, headphone, ptt, and relay switches, all controlled by an OTRSP-compliant USB device sold by PIEXX. Thus the 2KFA only sees one transceiver.

+ When configured to use the Kenwood CAT protocol, your 1.5KFA's CAT connectors listen to incoming CAT commands on pin 1. In your configuration, You can connect the "TXD" signal from Commander's Secondary CAT serial port to pin 1 of both of your 1.5KFA's CAT connectors. There is no need to connect anything to the "TXD" signals in the 1.5KFA's CAT connectors; the functional connection between Commander's Secondary CAT port and each of the 1.5KFA's CAT connectors is uni-directional.

Then no matter which transceiver you direct your 1.5KFA to select, its CAT connector will receive Kenwood CAT instructions from Commander's Secondary CAT port. If you'd like confirmation, check this suggestion out with SPE technical support.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>
 

Dave, OK on that, I thought you must have something different.

 I get that you don't think a 1 -4 2nd CAT selection linked to the radio list is necessary, but hopefully

in the future you may look at adding it. Even if there was a editable text-file config, for each of four radio profiles,

that includes the 2nd cat setting, so when radio is selected, so do those setting also apply, that would be great.

It's on my wish list then.

I want to keep my cables in the existing rs-232 Yaesu format that provides myself more options for use.

I really am very impressed by everything your software does, and I thankyou for it.

Your support here for everybody is incredible, at a level I have never seen before.


73


Adrian Fewster

On 27/8/20 11:16 am, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, not sure if they vary in design but with the 1.5KFA when you switch to 2nd txcr input,

the required CAT connection shifts to the 2nd CAT connector also, which I have setup to PC, and it is on a different PC comport.

I am following the primary CAT with the SPE secondary Commander cat connection for both profiles, mainly for the 101 so it will also follow

SUB freq (on direct SPE<>Yaesu 101 cat conn, sub freq read is not possible), and it is also convenient with the KX3, no extra cables/adaptors needed.

So on your SPE amp how do you make one of the two CAT connectors work with both inputs? Perhaps your model SPE only has one CAT connection ?

+ My 2K-FA has two antenna input and CAT connectors, as does your 1.5KFA -- but I only use one of them. I wanted the ability to switch between primary transceivers with one mouse click on Commander's Main window (or the execution of a user-defined command sequence), so I assembled my own set of antenna, paddle, microphone, footswitch, headphone, ptt, and relay switches, all controlled by an OTRSP-compliant USB device sold by PIEXX. Thus the 2KFA only sees one transceiver.

+ When configured to use the Kenwood CAT protocol, your 1.5KFA's CAT connectors listen to incoming CAT commands on pin 1. In your configuration, You can connect the "TXD" signal from Commander's Secondary CAT serial port to pin 1 of both of your 1.5KFA's CAT connectors. There is no need to connect anything to the "TXD" signals in the 1.5KFA's CAT connectors; the functional connection between Commander's Secondary CAT port and each of the 1.5KFA's CAT connectors is uni-directional.

Then no matter which transceiver you direct your 1.5KFA to select, its CAT connector will receive Kenwood CAT instructions from Commander's Secondary CAT port. If you'd like confirmation, check this suggestion out with SPE technical support.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, OK on that, I thought you must have something different.

I get that you don't think a 1 -4 2nd CAT selection linked to the radio list is necessary, but hopefully in the future you may look at adding it. Even if there was a editable text-file config, for each of four radio profiles, that includes the 2nd cat setting, so when radio is selected, so do those setting also apply, that would be great.

+ DXLab applications do not employ text files for configuration settings. All settings are accessible from Configuration windows where choices from valid values can be made, and explanatory popups briefly describe each setting's function; all settings are saved in the Windows Registry on a "per user" basis.

+ Every new setting increases the perceived complexity of the application and consumes screen space, and thus must justify its addition with compensating value. Given the available cabling alternatives, I don't see the compensating value of expanding Commander's multi-radio support to permit the specification of a different secondary CAT port for each primary transceiver. You might be the only DXLab user to employ it.


It's on my wish list then.

I want to keep my cables in the existing rs-232 Yaesu format that provides myself more options for use.

+ You could retain the use of your current cables by building a small box with three RS232 connectors A, B, and C.

+ A would be connected to Commander's Secondary CAT port using a standard RS232 cable. B would be connected to your 1.5KFA's "Input 1 CAT" connector using your existing cable, and C would be connected to your 1.5KFA's "Input 2 CAT" connector using your existing cable. The box would

- connect A's TXD signal to B's RXD signal and C's RXD signal, enabling both 1.5KFA CAT connectors to receive frequency reports from the Secondary CAT Port

- connect A's ground to B's ground and C's ground

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Jamie WW3S
 

I think N6TV S box will do want you want.....

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:18 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, OK on that, I thought you must have something different.

I get that you don't think a 1 -4 2nd CAT selection linked to the radio list is necessary, but hopefully in the future you may look at adding it. Even if there was a editable text-file config, for each of four radio profiles, that includes the 2nd cat setting, so when radio is selected, so do those setting also apply, that would be great.

+ DXLab applications do not employ text files for configuration settings. All settings are accessible from Configuration windows where choices from valid values can be made, and explanatory popups briefly describe each setting's function; all settings are saved in the Windows Registry on a "per user" basis.

+ Every new setting increases the perceived complexity of the application and consumes screen space, and thus must justify its addition with compensating value. Given the available cabling alternatives, I don't see the compensating value of expanding Commander's multi-radio support to permit the specification of a different secondary CAT port for each primary transceiver. You might be the only DXLab user to employ it.


It's on my wish list then.

I want to keep my cables in the existing rs-232 Yaesu format that provides myself more options for use.

+ You could retain the use of your current cables by building a small box with three RS232 connectors A, B, and C.

+ A would be connected to Commander's Secondary CAT port using a standard RS232 cable. B would be connected to your 1.5KFA's "Input 1 CAT" connector using your existing cable, and C would be connected to your 1.5KFA's "Input 2 CAT" connector using your existing cable. The box would

- connect A's TXD signal to B's RXD signal and C's RXD signal, enabling both 1.5KFA CAT connectors to receive frequency reports from the Secondary CAT Port

- connect A's ground to B's ground and C's ground

73,

Dave, AA6YQ




Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>
 

Thanks Jamie, but I don't think I need any hardware. Before I discovered

Commander was great for the 101MP<>SPE SUB freq tracking, I had been assisting Franco HB9OAB in his developing

a windows program for that purpose ; http://computerclub.no-ip.org/ftdx101cat/

So I will use that for the 101 etc, and perhaps Commander for the KX3.

It seems Commander config, must be stored in a common place, registry perhaps regardless of running a renamed 2nd exe,

which can be done, and from a different location, however a separate config can not be established for each.


73

Adrian Fewster


On 27/8/20 12:46 pm, Jamie WW3S wrote:

I think N6TV S box will do want you want.....
On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:18 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave, OK on that, I thought you must have something different.

 I get that you don't think a 1 -4 2nd CAT selection linked to the radio list is necessary, but hopefully in the future you may look at adding it. Even if there was a editable text-file config, for each of four radio profiles, that includes the 2nd cat setting, so when radio is selected, so do those setting also apply, that would be great.

+ DXLab applications do not employ text files for configuration settings. All settings are accessible from Configuration windows where choices from valid values can be made, and explanatory popups briefly describe each setting's function; all settings are saved in the Windows Registry on a "per user" basis.

+ Every new setting increases the perceived complexity of the application and consumes screen space, and thus must justify its addition with compensating value. Given the available cabling alternatives, I don't see the compensating value of expanding Commander's multi-radio support to permit the specification of a different secondary CAT port for each primary transceiver. You might be the only DXLab user to employ  it.


It's on my wish list then.

I want to keep my cables in the existing rs-232 Yaesu format that provides myself more options for use.

+ You could retain the use of your current cables by building a small box with three RS232 connectors A, B, and C. 

+ A would be connected to Commander's Secondary CAT port using a standard RS232 cable. B would be connected to your 1.5KFA's "Input 1 CAT" connector using your existing cable, and C would be connected to your 1.5KFA's "Input 2 CAT" connector using your existing cable. The box would 

- connect A's TXD signal to B's RXD signal and C's RXD signal, enabling both 1.5KFA CAT connectors to receive frequency reports from the Secondary CAT Port

- connect A's ground to B's ground and C's ground

     73,

             Dave, AA6YQ









Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>
 

Dave, Thankyou again for this great program,

 

Playing with Commander and the secondary CAT connection for the KX3 cat line to SPE, which was com 9,

… I went into advanced comport setting in device manager and changed com9 to com 1 (in use, but applied with a warning), that was already assigned to the real dB9

comport for SPE connection associated with FTDX101MP. > com 1

 

I did not expect anything, but it works great. The two SPE cables share the real comport 1 without issue in individual use as selected.

 

I can switch KX3 to FTDX101MP and vice versa on Commander, and the SPE is following the correct associated TXCR  frequency in each case.

 

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Just a FYI for those using mult radio/amp combinations on what works..  ;