Topics

No DXKeeper Window after Starting Program

John AC4CA

Situation is new Win10 computer. Copied Workspace Folder from old computer to new and loaded apps from Workspace. SpotCollector came over fine. DXKeeper starts but does not display the window.. Reinstalled with same issue. DXKeeper shows on the Taskbar and Green in Launcher. Hover over Taskbar icon shows blank window but the correct DB loaded.

Bob N3PPH

Hover over the icon in the taskbar, when the little window opens right click in it and choose move, hit the up arrow and the window should be attached.

73,

Bob N3PPH

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 2:20 PM John AC4CA <john@...> wrote:

Situation is new Win10 computer. Copied Workspace Folder from old computer to new and loaded apps from Workspace. SpotCollector came over fine. DXKeeper starts but does not display the window.. Reinstalled with same issue. DXKeeper shows on the Taskbar and Green in Launcher. Hover over Taskbar icon shows blank window but the correct DB loaded.
Try this: https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RecoverWindow

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 02:20 PM, John AC4CA wrote:

Situation is new Win10 computer. Copied Workspace Folder from old computer to new and loaded apps from Workspace. SpotCollector came over fine. DXKeeper starts but does not display the window.. Reinstalled with same issue. DXKeeper shows on the Taskbar and Green in Launcher. Hover over Taskbar icon shows blank window but the correct DB loaded

+ The locations in which each DXLab application's windows appear are stored in the Windows Registry. Thus uninstalling and re-installing a DXLab application cannot possibly alter the locations of these windows.

+ Moving your Workspace from your old computer to your new computer relocated all of your DXLab settings -- including Windows locations. This works well when you have a single monitor, as window locations are specified with simple X,Y coordinates. When you have more than one monitor, however, different display adapters use different schemes for specifying the locations of windows on monitors other than "monitor 0". Some use negative X coordinates for monitor 1, others use negative Y coordinates. So when moving a workspace from one computer to another, windows that were displayed on a monitor other than monitor 0 may not be visible on the new computer.

+ To address this, clicking the Reset button along the bottom of the Launcher's Configuration window directs all running DXLab applications to display each of their windows at location 0,0 (the upper-left corner) on monitor 0. You can then drag each window to the desired location on the desired window.

John AC4CA

Thanks to all, Having dealt with this disappeared window issue many times in many environments before, this instance differed in that the window was no where to be found lurking, even using the Move command. ALT-Tab didn't work either.The "up arrrow" did the trick. After grabbing the window out of the gutter I discovered that the reloaded DXKeeper workspace did load as expected.

For Dave, I did a RESET from Launcher before attempting anything else since I had been in a multiple-monitor environment before. When that didn't have an effect, I turned to the group.Of course, I knew that reloading wouldn't change the Registry. That's why I use Workspaces, after all, When you're in a corner, though, you try different escape routes as illogical as they might seem. Thank goodness for an experienced and helpful user community.

Thanks to all, Having dealt with this disappeared window issue many times in many environments before, this instance differed in that the window was no where to be found lurking, even using the Move command. ALT-Tab didn't work either.The "up arrrow" did the trick. After grabbing the window out of the gutter I discovered that the reloaded DXKeeper workspace did load as expected.

For Dave, I did a RESET from Launcher before attempting anything else since I had been in a multiple-monitor environment before. When that didn't have an effect, I turned to the group.

+ That's surprising. If you still have the Workspace folder from your old computer, please place its DXKeeper file in a zip archive, attach the archive to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Of course, I knew that reloading wouldn't change the Registry. That's why I use Workspaces, after all, When you're in a corner, though, you try different escape routes as illogical as they might seem.

+ Unfortunately, uninstall-reinstall can confuse Windows, leaving you in a worse state than you started. I strongly recommend avoiding it unless there are error messages indicating that the installation has been corrupted (e.g. "Component X can't be found").

Thank goodness for an experienced and helpful user community.

+ It's one of DXLab's most valuable assets.