Topics

Has anyone running DXKeeper 15.6.6 or SpotCollector 8.6.9 on Windows 10 experienced interference from Windows Defender? <eom>

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

So we ought to be able to remove the exclusions for DXLab in Defender?

+ Only the most recent releases of Commander, DXKeeper, and SpotCollector have so far been submitted to Microsoft.

+ Under the principle of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I suggest leaving your exclusions in place.

Dave, AA6YQ

CSM\(r\) Gary Huber - AB9M

I don't know. I gave up and started using Kaspersy Total Security which has an "Applications Control" feature to set the levels of access or denials for applications like the DXLab Suite. 

Other similar security applications have similar functions. I may be into "belt and suspenders" but I don't trust Defender to put up the shields against Zero Day or Zero Hour plus one attacks while still allowing DXLab to run.

YMMV,
Gary ~ AB9M

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> on behalf of neil_zampella <neilz@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2020 6:51 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Has anyone running DXKeeper 15.6.6 or SpotCollector 8.6.9 on Windows 10 experienced interference from Windows Defender? <eom>

Do so at your own risk .... :)

On 7/2/2020 7:07 AM, Mike - W1MI wrote:

73, Mike W1MI

>>> I submitted both of these releases to Microsoft, and received "all clear" responses. This takes 12-24 hours, but seems worthwhile in reducing damage to user systems due to false positives. I will continue this practice.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mike - W1MI

On second thought, it will probably increase load times.  I guess I'll leave it alone

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 11:51 AM, neil_zampella wrote:

73, Mike W1MI

>>> I submitted both of these releases to Microsoft, and received "all clear" responses. This takes 12-24 hours, but seems worthwhile in reducing damage to user systems due to false positives. I will continue this practice.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

neil_zampella

73, Mike W1MI

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Al Groff

Thanks Dave for the extra effort of running them through MS.  It'll likely save some heart burn for the users and save you some effort by not needing to respond to false positives..

AL, K0VM
Thanks to all for the responses.

I submitted both of these releases to Microsoft, and received "all clear" responses. This takes 12-24 hours, but seems worthwhile in
reducing damage to user systems due to false positives. I will continue this practice.

Dave, AA6YQ

On 7/1/2020 7:50 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Mike - W1MI

73, Mike W1MI

Dave AA6YQ

Thanks to all for the responses.

I submitted both of these releases to Microsoft, and received "all clear" responses. This takes 12-24 hours, but seems worthwhile in
reducing damage to user systems due to false positives. I will continue this practice.

Dave, AA6YQ

w6de

If you don't stay on top of Windows Defender, it will absolutely bite you
and exclude the DXLabs apps that do I/O to and from your computer to the
internet or radio.

As AA6YQ notes do a Defender update before you upgrade and DXLabs apps and
it might keep you good to go. This obnoxious behavior started in the last
several months with Windows-10 upgrades. . .

Dave, w6de

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: 01 July, 2020 06:49
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Has anyone running DXKeeper 15.6.6 or SpotCollector 8.6.9
on Windows 10 experienced interference from Windows Defender? <eom>

Dave AA6YQ

Alternatively (or in addition), you could direct Windows Defender to download Microsoft's most recent malware definitions:

<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions>

Dave, AA6yq

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Hitzigrath
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 1:53 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Has anyone running DXKeeper 15.6.6 or SpotCollector 8.6.9 on Windows 10 experienced interference from Windows Defender? <eom>

My Dxkeeper takes quite long to start, so I assume it has to do with windows defender.

I'll try to exclude and see if it makes a difference.

Running win 10 pro 64bits
DENNIS

Made in cellphone

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: Kent Olsen <kilo6dko@...>
Datum: Mi., 1. Juli 2020, 11:24
An: DXLab@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [DXLab] Has anyone running DXKeeper 15.6.6 or SpotCollector 8.6.9 on Windows 10 experienced interference from Windows Defender?

No problem here with WD exclusions.

Thanks

Kent

N6WT

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 7:58 AM Al Groff via groups.io <al.k0vm=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I set up a WD exclusion for DXKeeper.exe a few months ago.. Haven't tried removing the exclusion for current version of DXK. Spot Collector 8.6.9 is running without exclusion.

AL, K0VM

On 7/1/2020 1:49 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Dennis Hitzigrath

My Dxkeeper takes quite long to start, so I assume it has to do with windows defender. 

I'll try to exclude and see if it makes a difference. 

Running win 10 pro 64bits
DENNIS 

Made in cellphone

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: Kent Olsen <kilo6dko@...>
Datum: Mi., 1. Juli 2020, 11:24
An: DXLab@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [DXLab] Has anyone running DXKeeper 15.6.6 or SpotCollector 8.6.9 on Windows 10 experienced interference from Windows Defender?

Thanks
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 7:58 AM Al Groff via groups.io <al.k0vm=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I set up a WD exclusion for DXKeeper.exe a few months ago.. Haven't tried removing the exclusion for current version of DXK. Spot Collector 8.6.9 is running without exclusion.

AL, K0VM

Kent N6WT

Thanks
Kent
N6WT

AL, K0VM

Al Groff

AL, K0VM

Jim Denneny

No problems - Jim K7EG

Scott Stembaugh

No problems whatsoever.  Of course I have all appropriate files and directories excluded from Defender.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 2:49 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

Dave AA6YQ