Topics

Setting up HDSDR and CW skinner

Robert galambos

However, there seems to be some inconsistence

'Configure HDSDR to output IF audio for CW Skimmer
  1. Click Options [F7]

    1. Select IF as I (Left) /Q (Right)

  2. Click Soundcard [F5]

    1. in RX output (to Speaker) select CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)'

a.i I assume that is in F7/output channel mode sub menu (where IF as I(Left)/Q(right) option appears

b.i when i press F5. I do not see 'CABLE Input' option. I have the following three choices
Using HDSDR without audio output
Microsoft Soundmapper
O: Speaker/HP (realtek high def... This is my built in speaker

However, there seems to be some inconsistence

'Configure HDSDR to output IF audio for CW Skimmer

a. Click Options [F7]

i. Select IF as I (Left) /Q (Right)

b. Click Soundcard [F5]

i. in RX output (to Speaker) select CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)'

a.i I assume that is in F7/output channel mode sub menu (where IF as I(Left)/Q(right) option appears

b.i when i press F5. I do not see 'CABLE Input' option. I have the following three choices Using HDSDR without audio output Microsoft Soundmapper
O: Speaker/HP (realtek high def... This is my built in speaker _._,_._,_ ________________________________

+ I assume that you are referring to this article:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration>

+ a. your assumption should be easy to confirm as being correct or not

+ b. I'm guessing, but you may need Virtual Audio Cable software installed in order to have that choice for audio output. Perhaps the HDSDR documentation provides the necessary information.

+ Also keep in mind that applications like HDSDR and CWSkimmer are not static; new versions may introduce new options, or relocate existing options.

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ b. I'm guessing, but you may need Virtual Audio Cable software
installed in order to have that choice for audio output. Perhaps the
HDSDR documentation provides the necessary information.
That is correct. Virtual Audio Cables (or two sound cards with
audio cables connecting the two) is the only way to couple audio
from HDSDR to CW Skimmer.

On 2020-05-31 10:51 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

+ Thanks, Joe. I inserted a new step 3

"Install the Virtual Audio Cable application to convey audio from HDSDR to CW Skimmer"

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration>

+ Is there exactly one " Virtual Audio Cable" application? If so, please post its URL so I can add it to the above article.

g4wjs

On 01/06/2020 19:10, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

+ b. I'm guessing, but you may need Virtual Audio Cable software
installed in order to have that choice for audio output. Perhaps the
HDSDR documentation provides the necessary information.
That is correct.  Virtual Audio Cables (or two sound cards with audio cables connecting the two) is the only way to couple audio from HDSDR to CW Skimmer.

+ Thanks, Joe. I inserted a new step 3

"Install the Virtual Audio Cable application to convey audio from HDSDR to CW Skimmer"

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration>

+ Is there exactly one " Virtual Audio Cable" application? If so, please post its URL so I can add it to the above article.

Hi Dave,

there are several, VB-Cable is a free (but donations requested) Windows one for limited use (limited number of loopbacks) https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Bill

G4WJS.

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ Is there exactly one " Virtual Audio Cable" application? If so,
please post its URL so I can add it to the above article.
There are several. However, as Bill G4WJS points out the only
"free" virtual cable I've found is VB-Cable (donationware). The
rest, if they are free initially have a very short time-out (a
matter of minutes) and are (or were) relatively expensive. VB-
Cable is the one I used several years ago when doing the initial
integration documentation.

On 2020-06-01 2:10 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

+ b. I'm guessing, but you may need Virtual Audio Cable software
installed in order to have that choice for audio output. Perhaps the
HDSDR documentation provides the necessary information.
That is correct. Virtual Audio Cables (or two sound cards with audio cables connecting the two) is the only way to couple audio from HDSDR to CW Skimmer.
+ Thanks, Joe. I inserted a new step 3
"Install the Virtual Audio Cable application to convey audio from HDSDR to CW Skimmer"
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration>
+ Is there exactly one " Virtual Audio Cable" application? If so, please post its URL so I can add it to the above article.

* more AA6YQ comments below

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration> <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/HDSDRCWSkimmerConfiguration>

+ Is there exactly one " Virtual Audio Cable" application? If so, please post its URL so I can add it to the above article.

there are several, VB-Cable is a free (but donations requested) Windows one for limited use (limited number of loopbacks) https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

* Thanks, Bill! I have added that to the article.

* AA6YQ comments below

+ Is there exactly one " Virtual Audio Cable" application? If so,
please post its URL so I can add it to the above article.

There are several. However, as Bill G4WJS points out the only "free" virtual cable I've found is VB-Cable (donationware). The rest, if they are free initially have a very short time-out (a matter of minutes) and are (or were) relatively expensive. VB- Cable is the one I used several years ago when doing the initial integration documentation.

* Thanks, Joe!

Gordon LaPoint

I use Voicemeeter Banana , but they have just virtual cables if that is all you need.  I use the virtual mixer to work with my remote site to move the audio to the proper programs, (wsjt-x, DXLabs Winwarbler, N1MM or WriteLog) and the speakers or headphones, as required.
It does take a little reading if using the virtual audio mixer instead of the cables, but adds a lot of flexibility to moving audio around.
See: <https://www.vb-audio.com/index.htm>

Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO

+ AA6YQ comments below