Multipsk needs run as admin to connect

Alex OE3JTB

Hi group
a few days ago I tried out MULTIPSK. I see, it should be working seemless with the COMMANDER. I am using DXlab for many years with 2 radios, it works fine.
Today I realized that only when I run Multipsk as an admin, the connection works with commander.
Is there any other hint not to use admin privileges?
tnx
73 Alex, OE3JTB

a few days ago I tried out MULTIPSK. I see, it should be working seemless with the COMMANDER. I am using DXlab for many years with 2 radios, it works fine.
Today I realized that only when I run Multipsk as an admin, the connection works with commander.
Is there any other hint not to use admin privileges?

+ It should not be necessary to use admin privileges unless you have Commander or MultiPSK installed in what Windows considers a "protected folder"

+ Into what folder is MultiPSK installed?

+ Into what folder is Commander installed?

Alex OE3JTB

Hi Dave tnx for fast answer
Multipksk is installed in c.\windows\programme(x86) and dxlab is installed in c:\windows\programme
Reinstalled Multipsk in c:\windows\programme , no change :-(
tnx 73 Alex, OE3JTB

Hi Dave tnx for fast answer
Multipksk is installed in c.\windows\programme(x86) and dxlab is installed in c:\windows\programme Reinstalled Multipsk in c:\windows\programme , no change :-( tnx 73 Alex, OE3JTB _._,_._,_ ________________________________

+ The default installation folder for DXLab applications is

C:\DXLab

+ I would not recommend installing any applications in

C:\Windows

Alex OE3JTB

Hi Dave
DXLab I installed always in the programme folder, where all other 64bit apllications are. 32 bit are in the (x86) folder.
All applications are working fine, except Multipsk
and with Vista there was also an issue https://groups.io/g/DXLab/topic/16607845#52353
In the root or even in the Windows folder its not recommended to install apps
So I will uninstall MultiPSK
73 Alex, OE3JTB

Alex OE3JTB

Found that DXLab was running with admin privileges, changed that to normal and now Multipsk is also working without issue
73 Alex

Joe Subich, W4TV

If DXLab Suite is installed in C:\Windows\Programs or
C:\Windows\Programs(x86) (do you mean C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files(x86)?) you *WILL* have problems if
they are not running with admin privileges. Windows
does not allow applications to write files to the
"protected" folders (C:\Windows, C:\Program Files,
C:\Program Files(x86), etc.) folders. Instead it
redirects those files and the DXLab Suite applications
can not find them.

I recommend relocating DX Lab Suite to its own folder
as described here:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs>
and/or here:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenFolders>

Once DXLab Suite has been relocated outside the protected
folders, you can also install Multipsk in a non-protected
directory. Many users install all their ham applications
in C:\Ham Programs\<application>.

On 2020-05-10 6:18 AM, Alex OE3JTB wrote:
Found that DXLab was running with admin privileges, changed that to normal and now Multipsk is also working without issue
73 Alex

Siegfried Jackstien

i do install all my ham radio software in an extra folder "hamsoft" ... that way it worked for me (and multipsk remembers last install folder and when uprading it again uses that folder)

another software where that is needed (as an example) is "orbitron" (sat tracking soft) ... reason is for downloading new tle data the soft need write permission to the folder ... and the programme folder or the programme x86 folder ... are both write protected

all software that are a bit older and do not install properly in programms folder (cause they do not also add a user folder with write permission) needs to be istalled in an extra folder (call it hamsoft or whatever)

... most of these soft (here in my case ALL hamsoft) are installed in an extra harddrive (in my case d:) ... when drive c gets lost i can still have all my hamsoftware (pictures from sstv qsos etc etc) ...

some soft work fine in proramms or programms x86 ... and some do not ... but that would be never a reason to deinstall multipsk cause that is my everyday workhorse for many many digital modes

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 10.05.2020 um 09:41 schrieb Alex OE3JTB:

Hi Dave
DXLab I installed always in the programme folder, where all other 64bit apllications are. 32 bit are in the (x86) folder.
All applications are working fine, except Multipsk
and with Vista there was also an issue https://groups.io/g/DXLab/topic/16607845#52353
In the root or even in the Windows folder its not recommended to install apps
So I will uninstall MultiPSK
73 Alex, OE3JTB

Carl - WC4H

Also, the default for MULTIPSK is C:\MULTIPSK

73,.
Carl - WC4H