Topics

Trying to get "Launcher" to run inside JtAlert's own AutoStart section

KD7YZ Bob

With C:\DXLab\DXLabLauncher.exe and ANY Delay in the AutoStart Programs window of JTAlert, "nothing-happens-here" .

If WSJTx is in the AutoStart of JTAlert, WSJTx starts fine. However, it fails due to a not-running "Commander".

That is to say, I ran process-manager to watch for "Launcher" starting up from JtAlert-for-Wsjt. And there was none.

If I put "Commander" into the JtAlert-AutoStart, Commander starts just fine.

Was previously using Launcher's Autostart but thought I'd try JTAlert's version for giggles.

With C:\DXLab\DXLabLauncher.exe and ANY Delay in the AutoStart Programs window of JTAlert, "nothing-happens-here" .

+ Is there an errorlog.txt file in your Launcher folder?

KD7YZ Bob

No. good idea. I'll engage error reporting in Launcher and see what happens.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:10 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:

No. good idea. I'll engage error reporting in Launcher and see what happens.

+ If the Launcher was being started by JTAlert but prematurely terminating, it would likely have left an errorlog entry.

+ If the Launcher is never being started by JTAlert, then enabling the Launcher's "log debugging info" option won't produce errorlog entries either.

KD7YZ Bob

I had JtAlert start "the usual suspects" first. So when I saw ther last tray icon come on, it was DxKeeper since that one always seems to have more updating to do?

Anyway, immediately the ever present black command-icon appeared right next to DxKeeper for perhaps 2 seconds.

Otherwise, nothing happened. No Launcher. No new additions inside Errorlog ten minutes earlier when I had Launcher run so I could make sure it, too, wasn't going to start Commander et al.

So there you have it. JTAlert Can't start Launcher. Though it can start Commander, PV, DXK, DV. All I can see is the CMD window-icon appear momintarily in the Sys-Tray.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 04:49 PM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:

I had JtAlert start "the usual suspects" first. So when I saw ther last tray icon come on, it was DxKeeper since that one always seems to have more updating to do?

Anyway, immediately the ever present black command-icon appeared right next to DxKeeper for perhaps 2 seconds.

Otherwise, nothing happened. No Launcher. No new additions inside Errorlog ten minutes earlier when I had Launcher run so I could make sure it, too, wasn't going to start Commander et al.

So there you have it. JTAlert Can't start Launcher. Though it can start Commander, PV, DXK, DV. All I can see is the CMD window-icon appear momintarily in the Sys-Tray

+ The Launcher can clearly be started in the usual ways (Windows task bar, Windows Explorer, desktop icon). If it can't be started from JT-Alert, I'd inquire there.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/04/2020 10:06 am, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

The Launcher can clearly be started in the usual ways (Windows task bar, Windows Explorer, desktop icon). If it can't be started from JT-Alert, I'd inquire there.

FYI,

JTAlert doesn't do anything specific with Launcher, it is just another executable and treats it no different from any other executable. The JTAlert Auto-Start code doesn't have any executable specific instructions.

Likely whatever the problem is how the OP has setup JTAlert to autostart Launcher. Why he is trying to auto-start launcher is a mystery to me, any potential time saved by reducing the number of mouse-clicks is insignificant compared to the time wasted to get this to work due to incorrect setup, IMO.

What is trying to be achieved here by having JTAlert auto-start launcher? I see it saving one mouse click, one mouse click to start JTAlert with Launcher auto-started compared to 2 mouse clicks, one for JTAlert and one for Launcher. What's that a few ms saved, not worth the effort to debug and in all honesty not worth the time I spent penning this email.

de Laurie VK3AMA

KD7YZ Bob

"Originally", I was flummoxed by seeing a blue JTDX icon appear when I had a .bat file open JTAlert, passing /wsjtx to JtAlert and FROM DxLab's Launcher.

After several days trying different "checks" I decided to ask on the HamApps List. Someone answered. Although it did NOT address my query, he suggested to have JTAlert do the Autostarts.

In a way it made sense since JTAlert knew what flavour it wanted. It seemed I was starting JTAlert from the same type shortcut I was using as a template to pass from Launcher.

On HamApps List I passed a screenshot ... clearly there are TWO different Icons seen. One Red. One Blue, of the RUNNING process.

I never could figure a way to pass a startup parameter to an autostart process inside of Launcher's autostart area.

So I initially figured that JTAlert could start Launcher. When that didn't work for me I just had JTAlert start the 4 programs previously started by Launcher.

It works. Not the way I'd done it for years. But it worked.

And nobody ever answered the HamApps forum mystery about seeing two current Icons depicting A running single instance of JTAlert.

So I asked here. But I didn't mean to get anyone grumpy. Fact is, I couldn't get Launcher to activate from JTAlert and hoped a user would answer who had had the same operator error.

Gordon LaPoint

I just experimented with starting DXLauncher from JTAlert.   No problem, it works great.  What did you put in the Settings for JTAlert/Applications/Auto-Start ?  I have "C:\HamPrograms\DXLab\Launcher\DXLabLauncher.exe"   without the quotes.  Your path may be different to the executable.

Gordon - N1MGO

On 4/24/2020 6:32 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
[...]

On 4/24/2020 11:06, Gordon LaPoint wrote:

Hey Thanks for the reply. And it looks like we've worked one another from (almost) all the HF realm.

"  I have
"C:\HamPrograms\DXLab\Launcher\DXLabLauncher.exe"   without the quotes."
And I have C:\DxLab\Launcher\DxLabLauncher.exe

it got populated in #7 as that was my test position, with nothing above it Activated , by using "Select"

If I "Select" from Commander it its folder then that5 works.
If I double click on the Launcher exe file in the folder then that works too.

Just my Bad Karma. I'd told Laurie a LONG time ago that I make a good beta tester since everything not possible to go wrong, does for me.

I like JtAlert for the startups now that I see it has a pass-param as well as delays after starting.

I can't start WSJTx without K3-HF since I often run multiple instances of it and of Jtalert.

I can't Start WSJTx first, before Commander starts because DxLabSuite is my designated Radio so to speak.

Just tried sending email .... failed due to not finding server out there in adequate time .... everyone is at home in the US and online?

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

KD7YZ Bob

On 4/24/2020 12:19, KD7YZ Bob wrote:

For giggles, I just "Select" 'd "DXLabLauncher212.exe" that I saw in the Launcher folder. Yup, it started fine.

As did DXLabLauncher211.exe from 2017 ... which in turn put "App upgrades in the lower part of the program window.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

[...]

+ Your posting the question here was entirely reasonable.

Jim AF5FH

Another way to do this, I am able to launch JTAlert from DXLab using the following two line JTAlert.bat file.

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JTAlert\JTAlert.exe" /wsjtx

The first line text after the cd is copied from the "Start in:" of the JTAlert shortcut, Properties, on the desktop
The following line text is copied from the "Target" of the JTAlert shortcut, Properties, on the desktop.

The desktop JTAlert shortcut is created by running the installer for JTAlert.

I call the JTAlert.bat file from the Launcher, Apps Started After DX Labs Apps, and check the boxes for Enabled and Start Minimized.

73,
Jim
AF5FH

KD7YZ Bob

Hi Jim

lemme see what I put in the two batch files:

to get wsjtx going
-----------------------------------
@ECHO OFF

COLOR 0A
CD /D "C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\"
REM -- CD /D "C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\"
Start wsjtx.exe -r K3-HF
EXIT /B 0
--------------------------------

and to get JTAert for WSJTx going
@ECHO OFF
COLOR 0A
CD /D "C:\Radio\HamApps\JTAlert\"
rem Start C:\Radio\HamApps\JTAlert\JTAlert.exe /wsjtx
Start JTAlert.exe /wsjtx
EXIT /B 0

Note though that "sometimes" JTAlert barfed because IT got executed before WSJTx had come available.

In Launcher, for programs AFTER the running of the bulls in Pamplona, one can't set a timer, so to speak.

anyway ...
I still can't deduce why giving the location of the Launcher executable to JTAlert results in nix.

Especially since I CAN pass the previous Launcher , or the Same I guess, just in a different package/nae (212).

Jim AF5FH

In Launcher, for programs AFTER the running of the bulls in Pamplona, one can't set a timer, so to speak.
In the batch file for JTAlert, you could add before the command to run JTAlert the line

TIMEOUT 3

which will pause for between 2 and 3 seconds before running the next command. And try different values for 3 until it is reliable (always runs JTAlert after WSJTx is available)

73,
Jim
AF5FH

KD7YZ Bob

On 4/25/2020 09:50, Jim Kajder AF5FH wrote:

TIMEOUT 3
Wow. Great Jim. I love it when I learn something in these forums! THANKS!!

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901