Topics

Windows Defender

Bob Lukaszewski

As of Friday it seems my window defender doesn’t like DXKeeper running on my machine.  I have had to reinstall it three times and every time I do the defender pops up and says that the infected files are being removed.  After getting my backup of the database and re-installing it, it does the same thing.  It starts with 71.9 Archive then installed update 15.4.9.

I stopped the real time protection and it stays installed.

Am I missing something, this has been working flawlessly for a couple years on this machine.

Thanks

Bob K4HA

g4wjs

On 12/04/2020 14:13, Bob Lukaszewski wrote:

As of Friday it seems my window defender doesn’t like DXKeeper running on my machine.  I have had to reinstall it three times and every time I do the defender pops up and says that the infected files are being removed.  After getting my backup of the database and re-installing it, it does the same thing.  It starts with 71.9 Archive then installed update 15.4.9.

I stopped the real time protection and it stays installed.

Am I missing something, this has been working flawlessly for a couple years on this machine.

Thanks

Bob K4HA

Bob,

you are missing the numerous posts here about recent Windows Defender actions on some DX Lab Suite applications. The minimum you should do is to open Defender, go to History, view quarantined items, select the entry for DXKeeper, and restore it.

You can also make an exception in Defender to exclude the directory where you have DX Lab Suite applications installed. This is optional depending on how you feel about limiting the actions of your AV product.

Bill

G4WJS.

Mike Kasrich

Just restore the file defender checks and save on the reinstall

On 4/12/2020 9:13 AM, Bob Lukaszewski wrote:

As of Friday it seems my window defender doesn’t like DXKeeper running on my machine.  I have had to reinstall it three times and every time I do the defender pops up and says that the infected files are being removed.  After getting my backup of the database and re-installing it, it does the same thing.  It starts with 71.9 Archive then installed update 15.4.9.

I stopped the real time protection and it stays installed.

Am I missing something, this has been working flawlessly for a couple years on this machine.

Thanks

Bob K4HA

wb6bee

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/192460

Worked for me.  Second section.

Don
WB6BEE

Dave AA6YQ

I have added an entry for Windows Defender to the list of applications that can interfere with DXLab applications:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference>

The new entry provides links to Microsoft's instructions for declaring an application to be "safe" by defining an exclusion, and to
Microsoft's instructions for restoring an erroneously-quarantined application.

Dick Grote

I can't prove it, but I believe that even though I had disabled Windows Defender as my virus program, that during the last Windows update it was re-enabled during the update process.  I'm going to enable it long enough to exclude DXLabs just to be on the safe side when another Windows upgrade occurs.

Dick
K6PBF

neil_zampella

Do you have any other AV program on your computer?     Windows shouldn't 'help' you by turning on Defender if you have another AV running,

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 4/14/2020 11:14 AM, Dick Grote via groups.io wrote:
I can't prove it, but I believe that even though I had disabled Windows Defender as my virus program, that during the last Windows update it was re-enabled during the update process.  I'm going to enable it long enough to exclude DXLabs just to be on the safe side when another Windows upgrade occurs.

Dick
K6PBF

Ted Bauer

Yes, I use ESET and have not had happen what you are all reporting.
73
---
Ted   WA3AER

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:01 PM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

Do you have any other AV program on your computer?     Windows shouldn't 'help' you by turning on Defender if you have another AV running,

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 4/14/2020 11:14 AM, Dick Grote via groups.io wrote:
I can't prove it, but I believe that even though I had disabled Windows Defender as my virus program, that during the last Windows update it was re-enabled during the update process.  I'm going to enable it long enough to exclude DXLabs just to be on the safe side when another Windows upgrade occurs.

Dick
K6PBF

---
Ted   WA3AER

Dave / NR1DX

We use an alternative AV here as well and WIndows-10 Pro did no turn Defender back on at the last update? It has popped up a few "NAG" notices about turning Windows Firewall back on  but did not override my current settings.

I have had WIN10- play games with some USB drivers in the recent past though ....... 8^(

Dave
manuals@artekmanuals.com

On 4/14/2020 11:14 AM, Dick Grote via groups.io <http://groups.io>
wrote:
I can't prove it, but I believe that even though I had disabled
Windows Defender as my virus program, that during the last
Windows update it was re-enabled during the update process.  I'm
going to enable it long enough to exclude DXLabs just to be on
the safe side when another Windows upgrade occurs.

Dick
K6PBF
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&;utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

<#m_2970554835214802238_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--
---
Ted   WA3AER

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

I run ESET Internet Security – no problems at all. I have Windows 10 Pro, so disabled Defender completely via Group Policies.  Peace of mind…

Something Windows DID mess up with a recent update : I keep my time set via Meinberg NTP, which during installation disables the Windows Time Service. Windows decided on it’s own to turn this back on – and as a result interfered with Meinberg…. JTDX (my operating platform of choice) has a nice feature that highlights a warning if the time goes significantly out based on average DTs,  and upon checking immediately disabled the offending Windows Time Service – voila, back to exact time!!

Bottom line : after a Windows Update, check EVERYTHING!!!

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

EPC#0558 DMC#1690  30MDG#4081

DXCC HONOR ROLL (332/340)

DXCC(mixed)#41,146  DXCC(RTTY)#1,916

DXCC(phone)#34,990  DXCC(CW)#11,714

DXCC 80m,40m,30m,20m,17m,15m,12m,10m   5BDXCC#8,916

WAS Triple Play #492  WAS(RTTY)#538  WAS(Digital)#163-Endorsements JT65,FT8

WAZ(RTTY)#185  WAE-I(mixed)#72  WAZS(mixed)#214  AAA#1569

AS ZR6DXB: VUCC(50MHZ)#1,334  UKSMG WAE(Silver)#75  UKSMG AFRICA#22  WAC (Satellite)

Do you have any other AV program on your computer?     Windows shouldn't 'help' you by turning on Defender if you have another AV running,

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 4/14/2020 11:14 AM, Dick Grote via groups.io wrote:

I can't prove it, but I believe that even though I had disabled Windows Defender as my virus program, that during the last Windows update it was re-enabled during the update process.  I'm going to enable it long enough to exclude DXLabs just to be on the safe side when another Windows upgrade occurs.

Dick
K6PBF

Dick Grote

I do have Norton running.  That is why I was surprised that Windows defender got involved.

I had issues that 3 of the DXLab's programs not starting after a Windows upgrade and per Dave's advice, I booted into Safe mode.  I launched the three programs in Safe and I had to click through a Windows Defender warning to start the programs.  At the time Windows Defender was not my selected AV software, but still it seemed to be in play during the upgrade. And that is why I'm going to go to the effort to exclude DXLabs in Defender even though it isn't selected.

--
Dick
K6PBF

Dave AA6YQ