Topics

DXkeeper "Look-Up" is slowed.....Error Logs attached

Gary Smetana

Hi Dave,

A Dell "Premium Support Technician" resolved issues with my desktop PC, & did the latest Windows Updates.

Since then....."Look-up" in DXkeeper, to scroll between QSO's...is slowed a lot    Not instantaneous, as before.     The hourglass shimmers for 4-5 seconds.

I've created the Error Logs below.

Arranged as:        DX Launcher    /     DXkeeper      /      DXview   3 MB.?!

What Next Steps do you recommend?

73,
Gary  W1EBM

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 09:54 AM, Gary Smetana wrote:

A Dell "Premium Support Technician" resolved issues with my desktop PC, & did the latest Windows Updates.

Since then....."Look-up" in DXkeeper, to scroll between QSO's...is slowed a lot    Not instantaneous, as before.     The hourglass shimmers for 4-5 seconds.

I've created the Error Logs below.

Arranged as:        DX Launcher    /     DXkeeper      /      DXview   3 MB.?!

What Next Steps do you recommend?

+ Reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", and then start DXKeeper. Any change in performance?

Pete Smith

Mine is the same.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 4/10/2020 9:54 AM, Gary Smetana wrote:

Hi Dave,

A Dell "Premium Support Technician" resolved issues with my desktop PC, & did the latest Windows Updates.

Since then....."Look-up" in DXkeeper, to scroll between QSO's...is slowed a lot    Not instantaneous, as before.     The hourglass shimmers for 4-5 seconds.

I've created the Error Logs below.

Arranged as:        DX Launcher    /     DXkeeper      /      DXview   3 MB.?!

What Next Steps do you recommend?

73,
Gary  W1EBM

Gary Smetana

I'll Reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", then start DXKeeper.....and report results.

BTW    With DXview not selected,  DXkeeper Lookups are instantaneous.   (Is that a clue, or that's how it's supposed to be?)

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 09:54 AM, Gary Smetana wrote:

A Dell "Premium Support Technician" resolved issues with my desktop PC, & did the latest Windows Updates.

Since then....."Look-up" in DXkeeper, to scroll between QSO's...is slowed a lot    Not instantaneous, as before.     The hourglass shimmers for 4-5 seconds.

I've created the Error Logs below.

Arranged as:        DX Launcher    /     DXkeeper      /      DXview   3 MB.?!

What Next Steps do you recommend?

+ Reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", and then start DXKeeper. Any change in performance?

I'll Reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", then start DXKeeper.....and report results.

BTW With DXview not selected, DXkeeper Lookups are instantaneous. (Is that a clue, or that's how it's supposed to be?)

+ That's a clue that "something" on your system is slowing the performance of communication between applications.

Gary Smetana

Dave,

Results with "Safe Boot w/Networking"......doing call Lookup in DXcapture, or doing DXkeeper Filter:Lookup....very fast response.

Results with Normal Boot.....slow 4-5 second response ...doing the above Lookups.

NEW ISSUE:  doing a DXcapture call Lookup NO LONGER SHOWS that call in DXkeeper Filter (I know these test calls are in the Log.)
I changed no settings.

It's like we lost a connection between Capture, Keeper, and DXview.

What to examine ? Try ?

73,
Gary  W1EBM

I'll Reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", then start DXKeeper.....and report results.

BTW    With DXview not selected,  DXkeeper Lookups are instantaneous.   (Is that a clue, or that's how it's supposed to be?)

+ That's a clue that "something" on your system is slowing the performance of communication between applications.

Results with "Safe Boot w/Networking"......doing call Lookup in DXcapture, or doing DXkeeper Filter:Lookup....very fast response.

Results with Normal Boot.....slow 4-5 second response ...doing the above Lookups.

+ That means an application automatically started by Windows when booted normally is interfering with communication among your
DXKeeper applications. The usual culprit is an anti-malware application, but other culprits have been reported:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference>

NEW ISSUE: doing a DXcapture call Lookup NO LONGER SHOWS that call in DXkeeper Filter (I know these test calls are in the Log.) I
changed no settings.

It's like we lost a connection between Capture, Keeper, and DXview.

+ After you correct the first issue, let me know whether the second issue is still present.

Gary Smetana

I disabled the automatic startup (via Task manager) of all (14) Windows applications, and rebooted Windows (normal);  Lookup response time has not improved; still takes 4-5 seconds w/hourglass.

I use only Windows Defender.  It shows NO History of quarantine.    No history at all.

What to try next ?

<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxlabsuite.com%2Fdxlabwiki%2FApplicationInteference&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cbbda76f1bbcc4465451908d7ddb8aa4c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637221657501007788&amp;sdata=1sa1VIy1yrU2%2Bp1XfqGVSU5RIGWn1fAfQS2bQi6ovSc%3D&amp;reserved=0>

NEW ISSUE:  doing a DXcapture call Lookup NO LONGER SHOWS that call in DXkeeper Filter (I know these test calls are in the Log.) I
changed no settings.

It's like we lost a connection between Capture, Keeper, and DXview.

+ After you correct the first issue, let me know whether the second issue is still present.

I disabled the automatic startup (via Task manager) of all (14) Windows applications, and rebooted Windows (normal); Lookup
response time has not improved; still takes 4-5 seconds w/hourglass.

I use only Windows Defender. It shows NO History of quarantine. No history at all.

What to try next ?

+ Try temporarily disabling Windows defender. Also disable your firewall application.

Gary Smetana

Disabled Windows Defender by:

   - turned OFF Real-Time protection
   - turned OFF Cloud-delivered protection
   - turned OFF Tamper protection

Disabled Windows Defender Firewall

No improvement in DXcapture Lookup response time.

I disabled the automatic startup (via Task manager) of all (14) Windows applications, and rebooted Windows (normal);  Lookup
response time has not improved; still takes 4-5 seconds w/hourglass.

I use only Windows Defender.  It shows NO History of quarantine.    No history at all.

What to try next ?

+ Try temporarily disabling Windows defender. Also disable your firewall application.

Jacob Derenne

I would check the performance setting in the system folder off of the control panel

Check the advanced systems setting and set visual for performance and then the advanced tab check for performance for programs and see fi that also helps

W9BLI  Jake

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 07:54 PM, Gary Smetana wrote:

Disabled Windows Defender by:

   - turned OFF Real-Time protection
   - turned OFF Cloud-delivered protection
   - turned OFF Tamper protection

Disabled Windows Defender Firewall

No improvement in DXcapture Lookup response time.

+ Then some other application or service in your system that is being automatically started when Windows is booted normally is responsible for the performance degradation. Everything I know about this is provided here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference>

Gary Smetana

Good morning Dave,

I'll follow the steps in the link you provided, to try to find the culprit affecting performance.

Is this a correct statement of the issue .....?

Need to find "an application or service"  BEYOND the 14 already found & Disabled (using Safe Boot w/Networking & the Start-up list in Task Manager)

73, Gary  W1EBM

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 07:47 AM, Gary Smetana wrote:

I'll follow the steps in the link you provided, to try to find the culprit affecting performance.

Is this a correct statement of the issue .....?

Need to find "an application or service"  BEYOND the 14 already found & Disabled (using Safe Boot w/Networking & the Start-up list in Task Manager)
+ Yes, it is.

Gary Smetana

Jake - tried your excellent suggestion, & re-booted; but it made no improvement,.   Thanks for the idea.

73,
Gary  W1EBM