Topics

New user with TS-890S, trouble connecting

WB1DX

Gerry, have you tried to install any other USB device on that computer and does it work?  The fact that you never see the dialog box about a new device being added when you plug the rig in is suspicious. There may be an issue with that computer's USB controller. A removal and a full reboot to reinstall it may be worth trying.

Give me a call this weekend if you want.

73, Ken
WB1DX

OK, I followed Joe's recommendation (several times) and still no go on my station computer. It's puzzling for sure. All details that I see look the same between my notebook (that works) and my desktop that cannot connect to COM3 or COM4 as installed by silicon labs. I think it must be above my pay grade.

+ You should expect Kenwood to provide device drivers that work on all supported flavors of Windows. If Kenwood's first level support can't help you, insist that they escalate. Do not let them off the hook.

Gerry KM1MT

OK, I followed Joe's recommendation (several times) and still no go on my station computer.  It's puzzling for sure.  All details that I see look the same between my notebook (that works) and my desktop that cannot connect to COM3 or COM4 as installed by silicon labs.  I think it must be above my pay grade.  LOL

Gerry KM1MT

That's interesting Joe, I've done most of what you suggest.  The difference is that I rebooted the computer rather than restarted Windows between deleting and reinstalling.  I don't believe I hooked up the cable before installing software and drivers because I did read the Kenwood procedure first.  I will try this with a restart tonight.  :)  I want to get to the bottom of this mystery.
Thanks!

Joe Subich, W4TV

Gerry,

Just a random thought ...

In Windows' Device Manager ... right click on each of the Kenwood
ports, select "Uninstall Device" and *check* the box that says
"Delete the driver software for this device".

After you have deleted both ports, turn off the transceiver, unplug
the USB cable and *RESTART* (not shutdown/reboot) Windows.

After restarting Windows, Reinstall the Kenwood serial drivers *BEFORE*
you connect/power up the transceiver following the instructions here:
<https://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/vcp_e.html>

Note: connecting a Kenwood transceiver to a computer without *first*
installing the drivers downloaded from Kenwood will result in the
installation of *incompatible* drivers from Microsoft!

On 2020-04-01 8:55 PM, Gerry KM1MT via groups.io wrote:
Another update; today I had several exchanges with Kenwood Technical Support, and I can say the help I've gotten here on the group and through email from group members has been stellar compared to KTS unfortunately.  I may hear more from Kenwood in the future; if so, I'll let you know. Anyway, tonight I used my notebook computer instead of the desktop. Everything installed without trouble, and I was able to run ARCP-890 and the DXLabs Suite with no trouble the first time through. All controls worked fine.  So that proves out the radio, cable, and my ability to set it up properly!  LOL  I really did nothing different on the other computer.
So now it's back to troubleshooting my desktop computer.  It is so odd; everything looks the same other than virtual COM port numbers that get assigned on each computer.  There is something going on with the usb/ virtual ports.  Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.  I will probably post to the TS-890S group also; someone there may have input on this situation too.  If I solve it I will let you all know what the problem was.
Do your best to stay safe everyone; what a great time to have radio for a hobby!
73,
Gerry KM1MT

Jim McPhee

Good for you Gerry! You clearly have good troubleshooting skills and you put them to work very well in this situation.

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

Gerry KM1MT

[...]

Dave AA6YQ

If Windows won't allow Commander to open the serial port, it doesn't matter what baud rate is selected.

No one here can likely help you debug a Kenwood virtual port driver installation failure. Only Kenwood Technical Support can do that.

Gerry KM1MT

Thanks Dave.  I think I went around setting them all to the same thing several times, trying different rates.  But I will verify tomorrow, and try on another computer to give me a sanity check.  Lol

Gerry KM1MT

Jim, thanks...I did try them both at some point tonight but I'm not sure at what point.  Will try again.
Mike, I'm a fan of more data showing what works for people, so sure!  I'd appreciate screenshots.  My email is ka1stz at yahoo.com.  Thank you!

Dave / NR1DX

Gerry

Sounds like you may not have the baud rate set properly in ARCP-890 , the 890 Menu or in WIN -10/Device Manager/COM3/Properties
Contrary to Mike K9UW suggestion I would verify CAT through ARCP-890 FIRST before you tackle DXLAB/Commander Config issues. ARCP is the "native " CAT program for the radio and if you cant get it to work there  then your swimming up stream trying to do it in DXLAB.

Dave
NR1DX

On 3/31/2020 8:48 PM, Gerry KM1MT via Groups.Io wrote:
I have a quick update for tonight.  I uninstalled the drivers for virtual ports, then installed ARCP-890, and reinstalled the ports drivers.  Still no go.  Then I uninstalled again, and downloaded drivers directly from Silicon Labs.  Reinstalled.  Same results. It's strange, if I watch the ports in device manager, I only have COM1 before connecting the rig to USB.  As soon as I plug in the cable COM3 and COM4 pop up and both report that they are working properly.  When I start ARCP-890 it tells me that it can't connect via a USB/COM port because COM3 is unavailable.
I had a ham friend/IT & computer guru that has used DXLabs for years helping tonight too; Process Explorer only lists silabser as using COM3 and 4.  There were no hidden ports found either.
I ran out of time for tonight, but wanted to update you all. We're still working on it.  I will try another computer tomorrow to try to narrow things down.
Thanks for all the input so far, and thanks for the help tonight Ken!
73,
Gerry KM1MT
--
Dave
Manuals@...

Mike, K9UW

Gerry, I have the impression that you don’t have the TS-890’s CAT setup working yet.  If that is true, I’d suggest working on one goal at a time.  Focus on achieving CAT control and then move on to the ARCP-890 connection.  Herding one cat is hard enough when you’re new to cats.

I could send you screen shots of my TS-890/Commander configuration if that would help.

73,

Mike, K9UW

Amherst, WI

[...]

Although it appears that Com3 is the Standard Port, and should be the one to work, don’t hesitate to try Com4 as well. Both with ARCP-890 and Commander.

Jim McPhee

Placitas, NM

W5ABA

[...]

That is correct only one program can access a given physical COM port at a time. If ARCP890 has the physical COM port it must be
closed to release the port for DXLab/Commander and vice versa. I am not sure about one program using the regular COM port while the
other program uses the virtual port ( COM 3 vs COM 4 in this case).

There are programs that like VSPE ( Virtual serial Port emulator) which will allow multiple programs to access the same physical COM
port simultaneously. I will be glad to share my success with that in a separate thread but lets NOT hijack this thread and further
confuse the current  issue.

+ I strongly recommend against the use of "dumb" port splitters like VSPE to allow more than one independent transceiver control
application to control the same transceiver, and will not provide support for any configuration that includes them. Consider this
example

+ program 1: select VFO A

+ program 2: select VFO B

+ program 1: report selected VFO's frequency

+ transceiver: report's VFO B frequency, but program 1 interprets it to be VFO A's frequency

+ This is a simple example that illustrates the problem. Some CAT languages are not vulnerable to this specific fault, but have
other faults as a result of what is referred to in computer science as "retained state".

+ Don't do it!

+ Commander's Secondary CAT port does provide limited access to the primary transceiver by another CAT application (like Omnirig),
device (an amp or tuner), or SDR console. Tom VA2FSQ sells a "smart splitter" application that does enable multiple applications
(including Commander) to reliablycontrol the same transceiver. For example:

<https://icom.va2fsq.com/>

+ "Dumb" port splitters like VSPE are fine for enabling multiple applications or devices to track a single transceiver's frequency
and mode (as opposed to controlling its frequency and mode).

Dave / NR1DX

Most often I run DXlab and JTDX/JTALert simultaneously  ( and I can run N1MM as well in the bunch) but I do all that through the USB to VSPE I alluded to earlier. I use the RS232 port to send band data to Stepp-IR, Amplifier and Antenna switch all on a "star" cable without going through the computer at all

Dave
NR1DX

On 3/31/2020 10:26 AM, Jim McPhee wrote:

Hi Dave/NR1DX,

Regarding using the physical Com port (with a serial/RS-232 cable) and a virtual Com port (with a USB cable) to connect two programs to control the TS-890S simultaneously, the answer is yes. I have both ARCP-890 and Commander running, and they both interact with the radio just fine.

Having said that, I don't run both programs routinely, as I've yet to find an advantage in doing so.

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

--
Dave
Manuals@...

Jim McPhee

[...]

On 3/31/2020 6:48 AM, Steve / W1SMC via Groups.Io wrote:
One other note .....

I do not believe you can control the TS-890 from two programs concurrently .....

You can't have DXLabs Commander accessing the Com Port that the Kenwood ARCP-890 software has a hold of and vice versa.

There is usually a conflict of interest here and it comes back to bite you .....
--
Dave
Manuals@...

Steve / W1SMC

One other note .....

I do not believe you can control the TS-890 from two programs concurrently .....

You can't have DXLabs Commander accessing the Com Port that the Kenwood ARCP-890 software has a hold of and vice versa.

There is usually a conflict of interest here and it comes back to bite you .....

Gerry KM1MT

OK, so standard port it is.  Dave, COM3 shows the port is ready, as does COM4 now.  It appears that I had my cursor over a higher line entry in the event window to see the "not ready" msg I told you about.
And I just realized what NR1DX what telling me earlier.  I have not yet installed or run the Kenwood ARCP-890 software, so I think the first order of business tonight is to uninstall the drivers, then install the Kenwood software, and then install these port drivers again.
I appreciate all the input here!  Thanks guys! I'll update this evening.
Gerry KM1MT