Topics

Two Radio Control/Selection

Rod Greene

Dumb question I suppose, but I'm not finding the answer..

I have two radios:
  Radio 1 is an IC-7600
  Radio 2 is a Ten Tec Orion II

I both configured in Commander, I may have something set incorrectly, so may need some guidance here.

On Commander's Main panel it shows both radios but radio 2 push button and name is greyed out, so the question is "how do I select it (nr 2)?" for controlling and input to Keeper, etc. Radio 1 is controlled perfectly.

I have read all of the documentation for Commander in the Help. So if the answer is there, I have missed it.

Thanks again in advance for your help!

73, Rod/w7zrc

Joe Subich, W4TV

Do you have Radio 2 enabled (check box in the Enable column checked)
on the MultiRadio tab in Commander's Config dialog?

On 2020-03-14 2:20 PM, Rod Greene via Groups.Io wrote:
Dumb question I suppose, but I'm not finding the answer..
I have two radios:
  Radio 1 is an IC-7600  Radio 2 is a Ten Tec Orion II
I both configured in Commander, I may have something set incorrectly, so may need some guidance here.
On Commander's Main panel it shows both radios but radio 2 push button and name is greyed out, so the question is "how do I select it (nr 2)?" for controlling and input to Keeper, etc. Radio 1 is controlled perfectly.
I have read all of the documentation for Commander in the Help. So if the answer is there, I have missed it.
Thanks again in advance for your help!
73, Rod/w7zrc

Rod Greene

Yes, I have the "Enable" column checked.

Thanks! Rod/w7zrc

On 2020-03-14 2:20 PM, Rod Greene via Groups.Io wrote:
> Dumb question I suppose, but I'm not finding the answer..
> I have two radios:
>    Radio 1 is an IC-7600  Radio 2 is a Ten Tec Orion II
> I both configured in Commander, I may have something set incorrectly, so may need some guidance here.
> On Commander's Main panel it shows both radios but radio 2 push button and name is greyed out, so the question is "how do I select it (nr 2)?" for controlling and input to Keeper, etc. Radio 1 is controlled perfectly.
>
> I have read all of the documentation for Commander in the Help. So if the answer is there, I have missed it.
>
> Thanks again in advance for your help!
> 73, Rod/w7zrc

Dumb question I suppose, but I'm not finding the answer..

I have two radios:

Radio 1 is an IC-7600
Radio 2 is a Ten Tec Orion II

I both configured in Commander, I may have something set incorrectly, so may need some guidance here.

On Commander's Main panel it shows both radios but radio 2 push button and name is greyed out, so the question is "how do I select it (nr 2)?" for controlling and input to Keeper, etc. Radio 1 is controlled perfectly.

I have read all of the documentation for Commander in the Help. So if the answer is there, I have missed it.

+ In the Configuration window's MultiRadio tab's "CAT Serial port" panel, what "Port #" is selected for Radio 2?

+ In the Configuration window's "Secondary CAT Serial Port" panel, what "Port#" is selected?

Rod Greene

Dave,

Both places have Port # set to "4" and 57600, 8, N, 1, off, off.

Thanks, Rod/w7zrc

On Sunday, March 15, 2020, 3:54:37 PM MDT, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

You can not use the same COM port for both primary and secondary
CAT Serial Port. Change one or the other.

On 2020-03-16 9:24 AM, Rod Greene via Groups.Io wrote:
Dave,
[...]

+ That's why Commander has disabled ("grayed out") your Radio 2 option on its Main window: you have it configured to employ a COM port that is already in use as the Secondary CAT port.

Rod Greene

On Monday, March 16, 2020, 12:56:27 PM MDT, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Both places have Port # set to "4" and 57600, 8, N, 1, off, off.

+ That's why Commander has disabled ("grayed out") your Radio 2 option on its Main window: you have it configured to employ a COM port that is already in use as the Secondary CAT port.

Dave, Here is what you asked previously with my information after each question:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Dumb question I suppose, but I'm not finding the answer..

I have two radios:

  Radio 1 is an IC-7600
  Radio 2 is a Ten Tec Orion II

I both configured in Commander, I may have something set incorrectly, so may need some guidance here.

On Commander's Main panel it shows both radios but radio 2 push button and name is greyed out, so the question is "how do I select it (nr 2)?" for controlling and input to Keeper, etc. Radio 1 is controlled perfectly.

I have read all of the documentation for Commander in the Help. So if the answer is there, I have missed it.

+ In the Configuration window's MultiRadio tab's "CAT Serial port" panel, what "Port #" is selected for Radio 2?

In the MultiRadio Tab, Radio 1 is Port # 8   This is the IC-7600
In the MultiRadio Tab, Radio 2 is Port # 4   This is the Orion II

+ In the Configuration window's "Secondary CAT Serial Port" panel, what "Port#" is selected?

In the Configuration window's "Secondary CAT Serial Port" panel (under the "Ports" tab)
the Port# is 4 (for the Orion II.

The "Primary CAT Serial Port" panel (also under the "ports" tab) is Port# 8 (for the IC-7600)

I hope this is more clear than my previous answer to your question. My answer above meant that Radio 2 was assigned the same Port # in both tabs.

Thanks again, Rod/w7zrc

Rod Greene

I think I may have figured it out (at least partially) by experimentation. If I have the "Enable" checked on the Ports tab, then the radio name and button on Commander will be greyed out. So when I uncheck that button, then I am able to select the second radio on Commander. So in my case, I do not want the secondary CAT Serial Port to be operative. Is this correct?

Thanks again, Rod/w7zrc

On Monday, March 16, 2020, 1:50:14 PM MDT, Rod Greene via Groups.Io <w7zrc@...> wrote:

[...]

That is correct. "Secondary CAT Serial Port" could best be named
*SLAVE* CAT Serial Port as the Secondary CAT Serial port is used to
slave a second radio (or amplifier, SDR, etc.) to the "Primary"
radio (Primary CAT Serial Port).

Unless you are trying to cause your Orion II to follow the 7600,
you shooed not be assigning it to the "Secondary CAT Serial Port"

On Monday, March 16, 2020, 1:50:14 PM MDT, Rod Greene via Groups.Io <w7zrc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Joe. Dave and you provide super support! I'll get up to speed eventually.

73, Rod/w7zrc

On 2020-03-16 4:13 PM, Rod Greene via Groups.Io wrote:
>  I think I may have figured it out (at least partially) by experimentation. If I have the "Enable" checked on the Ports tab, then the radio name and button on Commander will be greyed out. So when I uncheck that button, then I am able to select the second radio on Commander. So in my case, I do not want the secondary CAT Serial Port to be operative. Is this correct?
>
> Thanks again, Rod/w7zrc
>
>      On Monday, March 16, 2020, 1:50:14 PM MDT, Rod Greene via Groups.Io <w7zrc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

>      On Monday, March 16, 2020, 12:56:27 PM MDT, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

>  + AA6YQ comments below
>
> Both places have Port # set to "4" and 57600, 8, N, 1, off, off.
>
> + That's why Commander has disabled ("grayed out") your Radio 2 option on its Main window: you have it configured to employ a COM port that is already in use as the Secondary CAT port.
>
>          73,
>
>                    Dave, AA6YQ
>
> Dave, Here is what you asked previously with my information after each question:
>
> + AA6YQ comments below
>
> Dumb question I suppose, but I'm not finding the answer..
>
> I have two radios:
>
>    Radio 1 is an IC-7600
>    Radio 2 is a Ten Tec Orion II
>
> I both configured in Commander, I may have something set incorrectly, so may need some guidance here.
>
> On Commander's Main panel it shows both radios but radio 2 push button and name is greyed out, so the question is "how do I select it (nr 2)?" for controlling and input to Keeper, etc. Radio 1 is controlled perfectly.
>

> I have read all of the documentation for Commander in the Help. So if the answer is there, I have missed it.
>
> + In the Configuration window's MultiRadio tab's "CAT Serial port" panel, what "Port #" is selected for Radio 2?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> In the MultiRadio Tab, Radio 1 is Port # 8   This is the IC-7600
> In the MultiRadio Tab, Radio 2 is Port # 4   This is the Orion II
>
> + In the Configuration window's "Secondary CAT Serial Port" panel, what "Port#" is selected?
> In the Configuration window's "Secondary CAT Serial Port" panel (under the "Ports" tab)the Port# is 4 (for the Orion II.
>
> The "Primary CAT Serial Port" panel (also under the "ports" tab) is Port# 8 (for the IC-7600)
>
> I hope this is more clear than my previous answer to your question. My answer above meant that Radio 2 was assigned the same Port # in both tabs.
>
> Thanks again, Rod/w7zrc

Dave AA6YQ

Commander' s support for primary transceivers and secondary "devices" is described here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/ControllingMultipleRadios.htm>

AVG logo <https://www.avg.com/internet-security> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com <https://www.avg.com/internet-security>