Complicated (?) problem

Steve - N3SL

Will try here with a "simple" question to see if I get a hit:

I run the "original" microHam keyer and router software (virtual ports).  Have for years, without problems.  Any Win10 upgrade beyond v1803 has the router software still seeing my radio, but none of the programs using the virtual ports (Commander, WSJT-X, MMTTY) can read radio status, key the rig, etc. and I get error messages that the ports have not been created (while the microHam program communicates with the radio just fine!).

So without all the gory details, just this:  Anyone using the microHam box/software successfully beyond Win10 v1803?  If so, we can take this "offline" for more discussion. (Yes, I've been to microHam support.)

Otherwise, the current setup works just fine, and I'm done updating Win10!

Thanks,
Steve, N3SL

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comment sbelow

Will try here with a "simple" question to see if I get a hit:

I run the "original" microHam keyer and router software (virtual ports). Have for years, without problems. Any Win10 upgrade beyond v1803 has the router software still seeing my radio, but none of the programs using the virtual ports (Commander, WSJT-X, MMTTY) can read radio status, key the rig, etc. and I get error messages that the ports have not been created (while the microHam program communicates with the radio just fine!).

So without all the gory details, just this: Anyone using the microHam box/software successfully beyond Win10 v1803? If so, we can take this "offline" for more discussion. (Yes, I've been to microHam support.)

+ Joe W4TV is our resident microHam expert. What was his response when you contacted microHam support?

Steve - N3SL

He suggested a sequence of not starting the router automatically (which wasn't the case anyway), upgrading, then starting the router.  He also pointed me to a version of the software that actually had been released that day (last week).  Unfortunately, no joy.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comment sbelow

Will try here with a "simple" question to see if I get a hit:

I run the "original" microHam keyer and router software (virtual ports).  Have for years, without problems.  Any Win10 upgrade beyond v1803 has the router software still seeing my radio, but none of the programs using the virtual ports (Commander, WSJT-X, MMTTY) can read radio status, key the rig, etc. and I get error messages that the ports have not been created (while the microHam program communicates with the radio just fine!).

So without all the gory details, just this:  Anyone using the microHam box/software successfully beyond Win10 v1803?  If so, we can take this "offline" for more discussion. (Yes, I've been to microHam support.)

+ Joe W4TV is our resident microHam expert. What was his response when you contacted microHam support?

g4wjs

On 10/02/2020 21:39, Steve - N3SL wrote:
Will try here with a "simple" question to see if I get a hit:

I run the "original" microHam keyer and router software (virtual ports).  Have for years, without problems.  Any Win10 upgrade beyond v1803 has the router software still seeing my radio, but none of the programs using the virtual ports (Commander, WSJT-X, MMTTY) can read radio status, key the rig, etc. and I get error messages that the ports have not been created (while the microHam program communicates with the radio just fine!).

So without all the gory details, just this:  Anyone using the microHam box/software successfully beyond Win10 v1803?  If so, we can take this "offline" for more discussion. (Yes, I've been to microHam support.)

Otherwise, the current setup works just fine, and I'm done updating Win10!

Thanks,
Steve, N3SL
Hi Steve,

I don't recall having exactly that problem, and I run Windows 8.1, but I have had to delete all the virtual ports  occasionally and recreate them using the urouter Virtual Ports menu items. Make sure to note what port numbers are assigned to what on the various urouter configuration pages.

Bill

G4WJS.

He suggested a sequence of not starting the router automatically (which wasn't the case anyway), upgrading, then starting the router. He also pointed me to a version of the software that actually had been released that day (last week). Unfortunately, no joy.

+ What was Joe's response to your "No joy" report?

+ Microsoft is clearly making it tough on device manufacturers like microHam with Windows 10 updates that seem egregiously destructive, so I'd be patient. But I also wouldn't give up after the first recommended action doesn't solve the problem.

Joe Subich, W4TV

So without all the gory details, just this: Anyone using the microHam
box/software successfully beyond Win10 v1803?
Yes, I and many other users are running on Win 10 1909 without issue.

I get error messages that the ports have not been created
(while the microHam program communicates with the radio just fine!).
You may have an antivirus program interfering with the Eltima VSPAX
drivers used to create the virtual ports or another virtual serial
port package causing issues. Are you trying to use another virtual
port package?

On 2020-02-10 4:39 PM, Steve - N3SL wrote:
[...]

I'm using the programs that came on the original CD - and updates to the microHam program that you alerted me to.  I will send you all my version(s) information separately, Joe.  I can't believe this is anything other than "my own" problem, or microHam users would have been vocal long ago!  It's got to be something (nearly) specific to me....  BUT (huge "but" or extra "t" in my case) I DO have another virtual port program installed..... Let me see what killing that does!  Didn't even dawn on me, as everything is A-OK under v1803....

Thanks

On 2020-02-10 4:39 PM, Steve - N3SL wrote:
> Will try here with a "simple" question to see if I get a hit:
>
> I run the "original" microHam keyer and router software (virtual ports).
> Have for years, without problems.  Any Win10 upgrade beyond v1803 has the
> router software still seeing my radio, but none of the programs using the
> virtual ports (Commander, WSJT-X, MMTTY) can read radio status, key the
> rig, etc. and I get error messages that the ports have not been created
> (while the microHam program communicates with the radio just fine!).
>
> So without all the gory details, just this:  Anyone using the microHam
> box/software successfully beyond Win10 v1803?  If so, we can take this
> "offline" for more discussion. (Yes, I've been to microHam support.)
>
> Otherwise, the current setup works just fine, and I'm done updating Win10!
>
> Thanks,
> Steve, N3SL

I'm using the programs that came on the original CD - and updates to the microHam program that you alerted me to. I will send you all my version(s) information separately, Joe. I can't believe this is anything other than "my own" problem, or microHam users would have been vocal long ago! It's got to be something (nearly) specific to me.... BUT (huge "but" or extra "t" in my case) I DO have another virtual port program installed..... Let me see what killing that does

+ I recommend killing and disabling the other virtual port program and then rebooting Windows.

Steve - N3SL

RESOLVED!  After starting "all over" and updating Win10 to the current version and installing microHam from the CD, STILL NO SUCCESS ("cannot create port #x).  It turns out (and I'm only presuming this is the issue, as I'm not knowledgable enough to know for sure), the update has resulted in "Intel Active Management Technology - SOL (COM4)", and COM4 happens to be where I start my virtual com port numbers.  And it appears (to me) the "SOL" part is very appropriately named!

At any rate, created new ports at COM10+, and the system now works on Win10, v1909.

Thanks to all you replied and offered suggestions.  And thanks to W4TV for the latest version info, and AA6YQ for tolerating a non-DXLab issue here!  (I really don't know how you do it....)

73,
Steve