WSJT-X with Spotcollector + Gridtracker possible?

Markku SM5FLM

By default both Spotcollector and Gridtracker (https://tagloomis.com/grid-tracker/) use the same UDP 2237 with WSJT-X, which do not work. Only one of these can connect to 2237.

Are there any solution to this, if you want to use both programs simultaneously?

g4wjs

On 10/02/2020 11:42, Markku SM5FLM wrote:
By default both Spotcollector and Gridtracker (https://tagloomis.com/grid-tracker/) use the same UDP 2237 with WSJT-X, which do not work. Only one of these can connect to 2237.

Are there any solution to this, if you want to use both programs simultaneously?
Hi Markku,

UDP does not involve connections and this should work if the applications are correctly implemented. WSJT-X expects to use a UDP multicast group address for UDP messages. Unfortunately one of the main users of the WSJT-X UDP Message Protocol is JTAlert and due to some technical limitations it does not support multicast UDP.

To see the protocol working as intended you can use the message_aggregator application shipped with WSJT-X. This is a small graphical demo application that doesn't have any useful function other than demonstrating the protocol features. The application is available in the WSJT-X installation 'bin' directory. To show it working with multicast you must change the IP address WSJT-X sends UDP messages to to a valid multicast group address, 239.255.0.0 is a good choice. Start as many WSJT-X instances (each using a unique --rig-name= command line option to distinguish them) and message_aggregator instances as you wish, all using the 239.255.0.0 address and the default service port of 2237. They will all interoperate without issues.

I do not know if either GridTracker or SpotCollector are able to listen for multicast UDP traffic, but they should do if they have been correctly implemented. GridTracker claims to implement UDP multicast since version v1.18.0406 although I don't see anything in the documentation as to how you set the multicast group address it is expected to listen for traffic on.

Bill

G4WJS.

By default both Spotcollector and Gridtracker (https://tagloomis.com/grid-tracker/) use the same UDP 2237 with WSJT-X, which do not work. Only one of these can connect to 2237.

Are there any solution to this, if you want to use both programs simultaneously?

+ There is not; DXLab applications do not support multicast UDP.

+ What is it that Grid Tracker does that DXLab and the applications with which it interoperates do not do?

I do not know if either GridTracker or SpotCollector are able to listen for multicast UDP traffic, but they should do if they have been correctly implemented.

+ SpotCollector is correctly implemented. However, the UDP-supporting Microsoft-provided component used by DXLab applications does not support multicast. I expect to eliminate this limitation over time so that DXLab applications can communicate among themselves using multicast UDP.

g4wjs

On 10/02/2020 17:08, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I do not know if either GridTracker or SpotCollector are able to listen for multicast UDP traffic, but they should do if they have been correctly implemented.

+ SpotCollector is correctly implemented. However, the UDP-supporting Microsoft-provided component used by DXLab applications does not support multicast. I expect to eliminate this limitation over time so that DXLab applications can communicate among themselves using multicast UDP.

Hi Dave,

RR, that puts SpotCollector in the same position as JTAlert because both are implemented using tools that do not have out of the box support for joining multicast groups. Either could make the required Windows system calls to join a multicast group, but I understand that may be a low priority given other more pressing enhancements.

Do you use a Winsock1 or Winsock2 control for sockets in SpotCollector? It should only need a couple of Winsock function calls to join and leave a multicast group for receiving UDP traffic from WSJT-X.

Bill

G4WJS.

RR, that puts SpotCollector in the same position as JTAlert because both are implemented using tools that do not have out of the box support for joining multicast groups. Either could make the required Windows system calls to join a multicast group, but I understand that may be a low priority given other more pressing enhancements.

Do you use a Winsock1 or Winsock2 control for sockets in SpotCollector?

+ DXLab applications employ MSWINSCK.OCX to send and receive messages via UDP and TCP.

It should only need a couple of Winsock function calls to join and leave a multicast group for receiving UDP traffic from WSJT-X.

+ If you point me at the relevant documentation for these function calls, I'd appreciate it!

Markku SM5FLM

I have only looked at Gridtracker briefly. One function in it is showing map with award entity borders and what is confirmed or not. I know the same information is available in DXlab, but I like the visual presention in Gridtracker better, then the textual presentation i DXlab. (Or is this also possible in DXlab?) But this is only minor thing, and I will continue to use DXlab, which I think is a great software.

I have only looked at Gridtracker briefly. One function in it is showing map with award entity borders and what is confirmed or not. I know the same information is available in DXlab, but I like the visual presention in Gridtracker better, then the textual presentation i DXlab. (Or is this also possible in DXlab?) But this is only minor thing, and I will continue to use DXlab, which I think is a great software.

+ DXLab can display worked and confirmed grid squares on the DX Atlas world map:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GridPlottingDXAtlas>