Where to start?

W8UV Phil

I want to become a DXLab user.
I operate my rig remote --- my using steps to my rig location
in the basement is not safe for me--the steps are strong I have balance problems.
In my remote setup I use N3FJP and LOGic 9 and operate both CW and FT8.
I guess I should start with DX Keeper then advance to another module such as
Commander or DX View.
Or is there a better starting point?
Would like all the advice you can give.
BTW I am on the #1 Honor Roll and been a ham 60 years this June.
Phil  W8UV

I want to become a DXLab user.

+ Welcome to DXLab, Phil!

I operate my rig remote --- my using steps to my rig location in the basement is not safe for me--the steps are strong I have balance problems.
In my remote setup I use N3FJP and LOGic 9 and operate both CW and FT8.

+ Please describe the connectivity of your remote setup. With the rig in your basement, where is the computer that hosts N3FJP and LOGic 9? What equipment is present at your operating location, and how is the equipment in your basement connected to the equipment at your operating location? What make and model transceiver(s) are you using?

I guess I should start with DX Keeper then advance to another module such as Commander or DX View.
Or is there a better starting point?

+ First, review

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted>

+ to understand the available documentation resources and gain a high level understanding of the DXLab Suite's components. Throughout the process recommended below, don’t' hesitate to post questions here. All questions are welcome, no matter how often they've already been asked and answered, or how obvious the answers might be in the documentation.

+ In your situation, I suggest that you start by setting up Commander to control your transceiver, relying on the appropriate article in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TransceiverControl>

+ Depending upon your answers to the questions above, it may also be appropriate to setup WinWarbler for CW generation:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Multimode_Setup>

+ If you have a rotatable antenna, you should next install DXView and configure it to control your rotator:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RotatorControl>

+ When you're happy with your ability to control your transceiver and antenna rotator, and send/receive CW from your operating location using DXLab components, then the next step would be to export your logged QSOs from LOGic and import them into DXKeeper.

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper>

You'll then want to confirm that the award progress reported by DXKeeper matches that of award sponsors - like your ARRL DXCC record - and resolve any discrepancies; DXKeeper provides automation for doing that.

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/IdentifyDXCCCreditDiscrepancies>

+ For DXers, SpotCollector is what provides DXLab's most powerful and unique capabilities, but as a result presents the steepest learning curve for new users, especially new users who have been employing another application for decades. Traverse this learning curve slowly, posting questions here whenever they occur to you.

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CollectingSpots>

+ Up to this point, you'd still be using your current applications to operate and DX.

+ When you're certain the transition to DXLab is right for you, import any additional QSOs logged in LOGic into DXKeeper, and begin using DXLab components for operating and DXing.

+ The only applications left to install and learn would be PropView for propagation forecasting and monitoring, and Pathfinder for discovering QSL routes:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Propagation>

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLRouteDiscovery>

+ Believe it or not, having reached this point, there will still be much more to learn! Scan each application's Reference Documentation, to which you can gain access by clicking a Help button in each application, by downloading a searchable PDF file, or by referring to the online Reference Documentation:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/download.htm#Documentation>

+ As you scan each application's reference documentation, maintain a list of functionality that you'd like to learn more about, but ignore all the details. When you've completed the scan for all applications, prioritize the list, and then use the Reference Documentation to learn the details for the highest-priority item on your list. When you've mastered that functionality, cross it off the list, rinse, and repeat.

W8UV Phil

Hi Dave,

This is my setup:

I use TeamViewer to view the computer Screens in the basement--a 27' and a 20'. The computer in basement is an i7

with SSD  . I have a Ftdx5000 and a FTdx3000. Rig control is with Win4Yaesu and also can use PCC5000 and PC3000.

I have mmttty and MRP40. I have a P3 panadapter and also SDRPlay 1. Also CW skimmer. For amps I have Kenwood TL922A and a King built SB220 on 6m.

Antennas are dipoles for 40,30,20,and 15m. Apair of Par Moxen on 6m stacked 12 ft apart armstrong rotor. I soon will be adding a ground mounted Tarheel for 80-6m on FT8,

To add to the fun and games I connect to RHR for 160m DX.

I connect to the LAN network via wifi here in the house. When I visit my son in VA I connect via the internet.

I am studying the Get Started page---a lot of info to digest.

Phil  W8UV

On 2/8/2020 4:19 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

This is my setup:

I use TeamViewer to view the computer Screens in the basement--a 27' and a 20'. The computer in basement is an i7

with SSD . I have a Ftdx5000 and a FTdx3000. Rig control is with Win4Yaesu and also can use PCC5000 and PC3000.

I have mmttty and MRP40. I have a P3 panadapter and also SDRPlay 1. Also CW skimmer. For amps I have Kenwood TL922A and a King built SB220 on 6m.

Antennas are dipoles for 40,30,20,and 15m. Apair of Par Moxen on 6m stacked 12 ft apart armstrong rotor. I soon will be adding a ground mounted Tarheel for 80-6m on FT8,

To add to the fun and games I connect to RHR for 160m DX.

I connect to the LAN network via wifi here in the house. When I visit my son in VA I connect via the internet.

I am studying the Get Started page---a lot of info to digest.

+ Thanks, Phil. Before I make further suggestions, can you hear the transceiver's audio output from your operating location, or do you rely on MRP40, MMTTY, and WSJT-X to display decoded CW, RTTY, and JT modes respectively?

W8UV Phil

AS Dave suggested I started with COMMANDER. I use WIN4Yaesu to control my FTdx5000.
I connected Commander to one of the WIN4 com0com ports. Since I know nothing abt DXKEEPER
I connected LOGic 9 to another WIN4 com0com port. When I change the freq. on any of the 3
(WIN4, LOGic 9, or Commander) the others change also. Plus COMMANDER tells %of RF pwr.
I still have a lot of study of the COMMANDER to do.
I am a happy camper.
One Quick question.
Will DXLabs support using the Flex Tuning  knob?
Phil  W8UV

AS Dave suggested I started with COMMANDER. I use WIN4Yaesu to control my FTdx5000.
I connected Commander to one of the WIN4 com0com ports. Since I know nothing abt DXKEEPER I connected LOGic 9 to another WIN4 com0com port. When I change the freq. on any of the 3 (WIN4, LOGic 9, or Commander) the others change also. Plus COMMANDER tells %of RF pwr.

I still have a lot of study of the COMMANDER to do.
I am a happy camper.

One Quick question.

Will DXLabs support using the Flex Tuning knob?

+ If SmartSDR is running, yes; if you don't have a Flex Signature radio, no.

+ Commander does support the Griffin Powermate:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ChangingFrequencyPowerMate>

W8UV Phil

Which is best for a Griffin Powermate,
Blue Tooth or USB connection?

Phil  W8UV

Which is best for a Griffin Powermate,
Blue Tooth or USB connection?

+ I've not used a Griffin Powermate.

+ When I'm practicing piano, the score is displayed by an app (MobileSheets) running on a Microsoft Surface tablet running Windows 10. To turn the page, I use a foot pedal connected to the Surface by Bluetooth. ~25% of the time, I find that the Surface has lost its connection to the foot pedal, requiring either that a disable and then re-enable Bluetooth support in Windows, or power down and power back up the foot pedal, or worst case uninstall the foot pedal in Windows and then reinstall it.

+ Based on my experience, if a USB connection wouldn't be inconvenient, I'd go with that.