Topics

Backup API?

Thanks for the comments Dave. So, if the workspace is backed-up, is there anything that isn't available in a file restore? In other words, are all of the registry settings saved as part of the workspace?

+ With one exception, the settings of all DXLab applications are stored in the Windows Registry, and are saved to a Workspace when you invoked the Launcher's "Save Settings to Workspace" function. The exception is DXKeeper, which stores a few of its settings in the current log file; these are settings that automatically "follow" the current log, like those in the "Log Settings" panel on DXKeeper's Configuration window's Log tab, and those denoted with a trailing asterisk on the eQSL and LoTW tabs of DXKeeper's "QSL Configuration" window. Thus if you back up your Workspace and Log file(s), all settings are backed up, as well as all logged QSOs.

+ There are several other files referenced by DXLab applications that you may or may not choose to customize. If you have customized one or more of these files, you should include them in your backup so that you won't have to reconstruct the customizations when recovering from a computer or operating system failure. These files are highlighted in bold font in step 3 of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/BackupRecovery>

Thanks for the comments Dave.  So, if the workspace is backed-up, is there anything that isn't available in a file restore?  In other words, are all of the registry settings saved as part of the workspace?

Thanks and 73,
Greg, KM5GT

I recently had to reinstall windows, so my data was preserved (and it was backed up), but I didn't have the registry entries associated with the workspace backed up. If I have to do it manually, chances are it won't get done. Is it possible to control the backup activities, such as backing up the workspace and backing up the DB, through the API? I want to put this on a schedule so they are backed up as files along with the rest of the files associated with DXLab.

+ A Workspace is just a folder, and so can be regularly backed up by simply adding it to the list of folders being backed up by your backup-and-recovery application.

+ The recommended practice is to direct the DXLab Launcher to update your Workspace after you make changes to settings that you consider "permanent". Not all changes to settings are intended to be permanent; also, some users maintain multiple Workspaces, each optimized for a particular operating scenario.

Hi,
I recently had to reinstall windows, so my data was preserved (and it was backed up), but I didn't have the registry entries associated with the workspace backed up.  If I have to do it manually, chances are it won't get done.   Is it possible to control the backup activities, such as backing up the workspace and backing up the DB, through the API? I want to put this on a schedule so they are backed up as files along with the rest of the files associated with DXLab.

Thanks in advance,
73, Greg, KM5GT