Topics

DXview remains in memory

Tony Dixon G4CJC

Cheers Dave, I just thought you'd like to know of this oddity.
73
Tony G4CJC

Thanks Dave, but my Windows 10 is running fine reliably and without any other (noticeable) problems.
I have found simple way to get the effect. I now have DXView pinned to the Task Bar. Click on it to open it. it can be seen in Task Manager as an App. When it's opened fully, close it from the Task Bar by clicking on the X in the corner of the popup. It the moves from the Apps in Task Manager to Background Processes.

+ I have replicated this behavior on my Windows 10 system. Letting the mouse cursor hover over DXView's icon in the Window's Task Bar and then clicking the X button in the upper-right corner of the resulting popup causes DXView's windows to disappear, but DXView remains running in the background. In contrast, right-clicking DXView's icon in the Windows Task Bar, and selecting "Close all windows" correctly terminates DXView, as does clicking the X button in the upper-right corner of DXView's Main window or directing the Launcher to terminate DXView. This is clearly a defect in Windows; if you want to pursue it further, please engage with Microsoft Support - and post your findings here.

Tony Dixon G4CJC

Edited

Thanks Dave, but my Windows 10 is running fine reliably and without any other (noticeable) problems.
I have found  simple way to get the effect. I now have DXView pinned to the Task Bar. Click on it to open it.  it can be seen in Task Manager as an App. When it's opened fully, close it from the Task Bar by clicking on the X in the corner of the popup.
It the moves from the Apps in Task Manager to Background Processes.

Like I said, the work round is not to close DXView from the task bar. Simple.
Cheers
Tony G4CJC

I cannot follow your instructions exactly, I have to start DXview from Launcher. Then I have Launcher, DXKeeper and DXView in Task Manager's Apps. Closing it from the Task Bar it goes from Task Manager's Apps immediately and is not in the Background Processes either. Without further action DXLauncher also goes from the Task Managers Apps. Closing DXKeeper from the Task Bar takes a second or 2 leaving no DXLab progs in the Apps section. Closing Launcher from the task bar now brings DXView into Task Manager's Background Processes. Very odd.

If you're saying that with DXView not running, that terminating the DXLab Launcher via the Windows Task Bar causes DXView to begin running as a background process, then your Windows installation is broken. DXLab will not run correctly until Windows is made to work reliably.

Tony Dixon G4CJC

Hi.
 I cannot follow your instructions exactly, I have to start DXview from Launcher. Then I have Launcher, DXKeeper and DXView in Task Manager's Apps. Closing it from the Task Bar it goes from Task Manager's Apps immediately and is not in the Background Processes either.  Without further action DXLauncher also goes from the Task Managers Apps. Closing DXKeeper from the Task Bar takes a second or 2 leaving no DXLab progs in the Apps section. Closing Launcher from the task bar now brings DXView into Task Manager's Background Processes. Very odd.
Hope that is helpful.
Tony G4CJC

Just noticed that sometimes when I start DXlab suite using Launcher it snags saying DXview is already running. It's not showing on the task bar but using task manager it shows up not as an app but a background process. I can kill it but then have to re-start the whole suite. This is not a big problem.
I have discovered a way to make this happen. Start Launcher from the task bar. Start DXview from Launcher. Hover over the DXview icon on the task bar. When the popup comes up kill (close) it from there. Then close Launcher. Checking with Task Manager will show DXview still running as a back ground process. This is reproducible. OK so the work round is "Don't close DXview that way." But occasionally I have closed things quickly using the popups and not noticed snags with other things. As far as I'm aware it doesn't happen with other parts of the DXsuite.
Dave, Just thought you might want to know. Thanks for a great set of programs.

+ Thanks, Tony, but I cannot replicate that behavior here.

+ Please do the following:

1. start the Launcher

2. start DXKeeper

3. start the Windows Task Manager, and select is Applications tab so you can see the list of running applications, which should include both DXView and the DXLab Launcher

4. terminate DXView from the Windows Task Bar as you describe above

+ How long does it take for DXView's entry to disappear from the Windows Task Manager's Applications tab?

Tony Dixon G4CJC