Topics

FT8 CQs Can SC determine both wanted for awards, CQs,, and CQ Not a directional such as CQ DX?

Gilbert Baron W0MN

The receive window in WSJTX has an option for CQ ONLY. A nice but in my opinion an incomplete feature.

I often want to reply only to unneeded stations which are marked in a chosen color by DXLABS Spot Collector.

The problem is that although I know it is a CQ I do not know if it is a general CQ. OFTEN when I click on it WSJTX starts a call instantly but the CQ was CQ DX. I then have to stop transmit as one should  not be calling a directional when not wanted them.

I suggested an addition to the CQ only CQ window to Show that it is a CQ DX or even better CQ followed by anything like a prefix so that I avoid making a call that the station is  not interested in getting.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

KA9JAC

Gil,

I had a thought along those same lines...
BUT - What if its a DX station looking for DX, which could be you?
Kinda complicates things

73
Bob, KA9JAC

�

[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Not much D.C. looking for me. MN is easy to get. Besides I can decide to answer.

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020, 08:03 KA9JAC <ka9jac@...> wrote:
[...]

Walter Miller, AJ6T

Gil,

I appreciate your concern about not wanting to reply to a directional CQ when you are not the target of that CQ.  However, I don't understand why you have a problem making an erroneous response.  Do you not keep an eye on the WSJT-X Band Activity window that clearly shows if a station is making a directional CQ?  Here is an example from my screen of the WSJT-X Band Activity window with the WSJT-X CQ Only option checked:

175600  -4  0.1  904 ~  CQ WA3SFR FM19
175600 -17  0.1 1573 ~  CQ VE6CV DN39
175600   8  0.3 2553 ~  CQ K0VM EN42
175600   0  0.1 2719 ~  CQ DX KM8V EN91
175600 -24  0.1 1323 ~  CQ W7HD DM42
175600 -24  0.1 2288 ~  CQ N7TM DN27

It's clear that KM8V is calling CQ DX, and that the others are just making general CQs.  I'm just using WSJT-X and JTAlertX, with JTAlertX logging to DXKeeper.  Please describe your configuration, and indicate what you are clicking on to initiate a response to a CQ.  I only ask in an effort to understand why so many stateside stations reply to my CQ DX calls.  Quite often those stateside callers get in the way of bona fide DX callers.  I do have Call 1st checked so that I do not miss a sequence when a station calls me, and I feel obligated to complete a QSO if I have replied to a caller (even the stateside stations answering my CQ DX or CQ EU).

73, Walt, AJ6T

On 1/4/2020 6:58 AM, Gilbert Baron W0MN wrote:

[...]

+ Unless I misunderstand (in which case please provide additional explanation), you are proposing an enhancement to WSJT-X. While
Bill G4WJS is active and responsive here, it'd be better to propose this enhancement to the WSJT-X community:

<https://groups.io/g/WSJTX>

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Perhaps I missed it. I will watch some more and see if it is there. Perhaps I just did not watch carefully. If that is the case then I apologize and nothing more is needed.