Satellite Tracking and reaction tuning using Commander

W8DSB

All, I have been using DX Labs since I have been on HF about 4 years now. I love it and would not use anything different. I have a K3s and a 7610 for HF and I recently bought (about 18 months ago) a Icom 9100 for satellite work. I now find that I have time to start learning more about LEO satellites and how everything works. I tried using satpc32 and it does control the radio however I am looking for a program that will track the "rising satellite" and if it is coming into my view then reaction tune my radio completely thought the "pass" but I want it to use DDE so I can keep commander and all of DX labs running. Are there any programs like this? If not Dave, any chance you want to get into the satellite tracking field :)

John Kludt K7SYS

DSB,

SatPC32 does put out the data ina DDE format.  You can do it two different ways:
  1. The default is to output data only when the satellite is in view (above the horizon)
  2. Alternatively you can enable a constant DDE feed for whatever satellite is in focus in the program window
This can be coupled with a feature (the A on the menu bar) to automatically go to the next satellite in priority order.  To turn it on just click it to A+.  There is a file in the auxillary file section called Prior.sqf .where you set the list of satellites to be followed and the priority in which to follow them: e.g., you can tell it in effect, "If you are currently running A0-85 and AO-92 comes up, switch to AO-92."

Lastly you can specify a point at which to switch and begin tracking any satellite.  I use -5 deg as  that gives my rotator time to turn and be in position for AOS

I also like to turn the Countdown window on in AOS/LOS order as it give me a viusal on who is coming up next, the maximum elevation of the pass and an audio alter that "xx-xx rising"

I have used DDE/Auto now for actually years to track and download the telemetry from the Fox series of satellites and forward it along to the central repository for the universities to use.  This setup runs bascially unattended and just does its thing.

Maybe you have tried all of these features and they don't meet you needs.  If you haven't , send me an email off line and I will help you set them all up.

John K4SQC

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 8:18 AM W8DSB <w8dsb@...> wrote:
[...]

+ Commander interoperates with SatPC32; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SatelliteTracking>

+ To configure SatPC32 to continuously update Commander with the frequency of the selected Satellite - whether it's above the horizon or not -- see the instructions in this post:

<https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/189248?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,satpc32,20,2,0,63700639>

W8DSB

Thank you to John and Dave I got it working. The radio and PC stop once in a while but it trackers about 85% of the time. I will figure out the rest.

W8DSB

OK, so I need a little more help. I had it working for like 4 days. I installed the license that was e-mailed to me and the radio settings must have gotten reset in SATPC. I can no longer get it to control the radio. Command is set to SATPC32 and it is connected. Commander displayed VFOs are moving but nothing the radio.

I looked over the commander radio setting and they look OK. What I don't know is how I had SATPC setup. I picked the proper radio and baud rate but I thought I had the com port set to "0" because its DDE but its no longer working, and yes I did reboot, twice. Thoughts?

Bill Pence

are you sure its DDE to the radio? I know its DDE to Commander, but I suspect the radio is a COM port so 0 would not work...
what com ports show in device manager?
does a com port disappear if you turn off or disconnect the radio?

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 8:05 PM W8DSB <w8dsb@...> wrote:
OK, so I need a little more help. I had it working for like 4 days. I installed the license that was e-mailed to me and the radio settings must have gotten reset in SATPC. I can no longer get it to control the radio. Command is set to SATPC32 and it is connected. Commander displayed VFOs are moving but nothing the radio.

I looked over the commander radio setting and they look OK. What I don't know is how I had SATPC setup. I picked the proper radio and baud rate but I thought I had the com port set to "0" because its DDE but its no longer working, and yes I did reboot, twice. Thoughts?

W8DSB

Well thats my question...commander is setup to accept DDE and it is talking to the radio. What do I need to set the SATPC radio setting too?

Bill Pence

ok. commander does NOT talk to radio in this config.  satpc32 talks to BOTH the radio AND commander....

so satpc32 needs to be set to the COM port of the radio..

you should be able to work sats with Commander closed and only SATPC32...

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 8:25 PM W8DSB <w8dsb@...> wrote:
Well thats my question...commander is setup to accept DDE and it is talking to the radio. What do I need to set the SATPC radio setting too?

John Kludt K7SYS

W8DSB,

It is not DDE to the radio.  You need to set it up as if Commander was not in the circuit.  Commander is pulling off the satellite name mode and frequencies for the log but it is not controlling the radio.  SatPC32 is.  In my system the serial port running the radio is Com12 .  Yours' is probably different but it is whatever it is.

Pretty sure that will fix things for you.  The test is your ability to have SatPC32 run the radio without any DXLabs applications loaded.  Again this is a really slick ,logging interface that Dave has come up with.  It is not a radio control interface for SatPC32 as SatPC32 has its own rig control built in.

John

BTW I notice you never sign your emails.  ARRL tells me your name is Darrell, is that correct?

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 8:05 PM W8DSB <w8dsb@...> wrote:
OK, so I need a little more help. I had it working for like 4 days. I installed the license that was e-mailed to me and the radio settings must have gotten reset in SATPC. I can no longer get it to control the radio. Command is set to SATPC32 and it is connected. Commander displayed VFOs are moving but nothing the radio.

I looked over the commander radio setting and they look OK. What I don't know is how I had SATPC setup. I picked the proper radio and baud rate but I thought I had the com port set to "0" because its DDE but its no longer working, and yes I did reboot, twice. Thoughts?

OK, so I need a little more help. I had it working for like 4 days. I installed the license that was e-mailed to me and the radio settings must have gotten reset in SATPC. I can no longer get it to control the radio.

+ With Commander not running, is SATPC32 correctly tracking and controlling your transceiver frequencies?

73,

Dave,

It is not DDE to the radio. You need to set it up as if Commander was not in the circuit. Commander is pulling off the satellite name mode and frequencies for the log but it is not controlling the radio. SatPC32 is. In my system the serial port running the radio is Com12 . Yours' is probably different but it is whatever it is.

Pretty sure that will fix things for you. The test is your ability to have SatPC32 run the radio without any DXLabs applications loaded. Again this is a really slick ,logging interface that Dave has come up with. It is not a radio control interface for SatPC32 as SatPC32 has its own rig control built in.

+ Thanks John, but it was Joe W4TV who suggested this approach for interoperation with a satellite tracking application.

W8DSB

Yes, thanks all. Once Bill said that last night, it all came back to me. I had it working for a time then I started SAPC32 when Commander was actively running the radio on HF. I got a error and started changing things. Its all better now :)