Topics

SpotCollector Error Message (unable to recreate spot database after clearing)

Oops, sorry about that. I didn't quite have a good understanding of how the Unconfirmed filter worked.

I now see that my needed filter window does populate with an unconfirmed entity. Provided that the new station call sign is different from one I have already worked on a given band/mode.

+ Correct. SpotCollector doesn't consider a station to be "needed" if you've already worked it in the needed entity, on needed entity-band or in the needed entity-mode.

Fred Coelho

Oops, sorry about that. I didn't quite have a good understanding of how the Unconfirmed filter worked.

I now see that my needed filter window does populate with an unconfirmed entity. Provided that the new station call sign is different from one I have already worked on a given band/mode.

73

fred WX1S

Fred Coelho

Hi Dave, Perhaps I didn't quite explain my problem. Unworked B or M spots are showing up fine. Unconfirmed spots are not.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 02:17 AM, Fred Coelho wrote:
Unfortunately I am now having a problem viewing Unconfirmed Band/Mode spots. They used to show up in Blue (the default) but now my needed filter only displays Unworked spots in Red. I have configured the needed filter for Unworked or Unconfirmed.

SpotCollector's default font color for stations in unworked DXCC entities is "red", but you can change it if you like. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/ConfigurationSpotDatabaseDisplay.htm>

Fred Coelho

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I wiped my C drive clean and reloaded windows. I re-installed the DXLab Suite and I'm no longer getting an error when I launch SpotCollector. Yes I can now clear my spot database on startup.

Unfortunately I am now having a problem viewing Unconfirmed Band/Mode spots. They used to show up in Blue (the default) but now my needed filter only displays Unworked spots in Red. I have configured the needed filter for Unworked or Unconfirmed. I have HF plus 6 enabled in DXKeepers Awards window along with several modes and Realtime Progress for VUCC, WAS and WAZ.

Once again, this same configuration works on a different computer. Am I missing something or is it time for a new PC? All applications are up to date. I'm running a Dell with Windows 10 home. It's 64 bit.

Fred Coelho

Thanks Dave, I've had so much trouble with this PC. My other one never gives me grief. Looks like I'll keep it set to prune every hour. That works without issues.

I can't imagine what happened. I have not loaded any new programs. Perhaps it was the latest update from Microsoft.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

fred WX1S

No Change in behavior after rebooting windows.

+ That means Windows or Microsoft's Jet Database Engine are broken.

+ Unfortunately, I know of no reliable way to repair either without saving all of your data files (your log!) and application installers, wiping your C: drive, re-installing Windows, and re-installing your applications.

Fred Coelho

No Change in behavior after rebooting windows.

Hi Dave, thanks for the uninstall info. Unfortunately deleting the database didn't correct the problem. As mentioned I now have SpotCollector set to prune rather than clear. At least that way I don't get the error.

I sent you some screen shots. Hopefully they will help. Please let me know if you need anything.

+ The errorlog.txt file you sent me contains this entry:

2019-12-10 10:39:02.183 > program error 3800 in module SpotDatabaseModule.OpenSpecialCallDatabase, State = 118: 'SpecialCallIndex' is not an index in this table.

+ The Special Callsign Database, which maintains the information you've specified on the Configuration window's "Special Callsigns" tab, resides in the file SpecialCallsigns.mdb in SpotCollector's Databases folder. The section of code in which the above errorlog entry is being generated indicates that at startup, the SpecialCallsigns.mdb did not exist - so SpotCollector attempted to create on, but encountered an error when attempting to do so.

+ One of your screen shots shows an error message indicating that a new Spot Database cannot be created in SpotCollector's Databases folder.

+ As a first diagnostic step, please reboot Windows, and then start SpotCollector. Any change in behavior?

Fred Coelho

Hi Dave, thanks for the uninstall info. Unfortunately deleting the database didn't correct the problem. As mentioned I now have SpotCollector set to prune rather than clear. At least that way I don't get the error.

I sent you some screen shots. Hopefully they will help. Please let me know if you need anything.

73, fred WX1S

Over the past couple of days when I launch SpotCollector I get an error (unable to recreate spot database after clearing).

It's more of an inconvenience then a real issue because after I click OK, SpotCollector launches and the database starts to populate. I get the same error if I clear the database manually. I do have Clear Spot Database on startup enabled.

+ Before you next start SpotCollector, use Windows Explorer to delete the file Spots.mdb in SpotCollector's Databases folder.

Any way to stop the error? I tried uninstalling SpotCollector and reinstalling but it didn't help.

+ Uninstalling and reinstalling should only be done when there is hard evidence of a corrupted installation, like error messages complaining about missing DLL files. These actions risk creating far worse problems than the one you are trying to resolve.

Fred Coelho