Topics

Reconstructing VHF Contest Log

Walter Miller, AJ6T

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply (and thanks to AA6YQ as well).  Yes, I do have contacts in the N1MM+ log that did not originate in WSJT-X.  For now I am just going to cobble together by hand a Cabrillo log for submission.  It's a bit messy, but I have three Cabrillo logs that contain all the QSOs that were made (less some that might have gotten lost in the crash, with plenty of duplication too): N1MM+ Cabrillo log, WSJT-X #1 Cabrillo log (from the "Contest Log"), WSJT-X #2 Cabrillo log (from its separate "Contest Log").  I'll have to do a bit of interleaving to get everything in correct time order, but that's just a matter of careful copying and pasting.  The header from the N1MM+ Cabrillo log is largely correct.  Later I'll do the additional work to get all those QSOs into DXKeeper.  I really don't need to get everything stuffed back into N1MM+.

73, Walt, AJ6T

On 9/21/2019 8:16 PM, Dave Fugleberg wrote:
Hi Walt,
do you have any contacts in that N1MM+ log that didn't not originate in WSJT-X?
If not, it's probably easier to just create a new log in N1MM+ and import the ADIF files from both instances of WSJT-X into it. Export your SSB contest contacts from DXKeeper and import them to that N1MM log too. Generate the Cabrillo file from there, and it will be formatted correctly.
Then export one ADIF from N1MM, and import it to DXKeeper with duplicate checking enabled.
That should get everything in sync.
73 de W0ZF

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 6:22 PM Walter Miller, AJ6T <aj6t@...> wrote:
In last weekend's September VHF contest I attempted to run SO2R with two
instances of WSJT-X controlled by N1MM+ per the setup instructions in
the N1MM+ documentation.  That ran OK for a short while before N1MM+ and
the two instances of WSJT-X stopped communicating and stopped logging.
Up to that point, five separate logs came into play (N1MM+ log and an
ADIF and "Contest" log from each of the two WSJT-X instances).  At that
point I abandoned the N1MM+ and WSJT-X slaved operation and reverted to
my original standalone setup in order to at least get an electronic log
in DXKeeper.  My standalone setup does not make use of N1MM+ at all.  It
just uses two instances of WSJT-X (one for 6m and the other for 2m/70cm)
with two instances of JTAlertX feeding the contest QSOs into DXK.  SSB
QSos were put manually into DXK.  Now I need to assemble a consolidated
Cabrillo log to submit my contest results.  Here's my plan to do that,
but I'd like some advice first before I go astray:

1. Start with a DXK backup (of course)

2. Export the runt N1MM+ log in ADIF format for import into DXK

3. Slice out the relevant portions of each WSJT-X ADIF log for import
into DXK

4. Have DXK generate the Cabrillo file (after I tag each of the relevant
QSOs with a CONTEST ID).

Do I need any sort of special ADIF header for the carved-out ADIF files
from the WSJT-X logs (I notice that the N1MM+ ADIF header includes a
Contest Name)?  Or can I just get by with a null header, <EOH> and <EOR>?

Thoughts/Details?

Step 5 might be to import a DXK ADIF back into N1MM+ to have it do dupe
checking and scoring, but that is a question for the N1MM+ reflector.

73, Walt, AJ6T

Dave Fugleberg

[...]

+ I would instead start by creating an empty new log in DXKeeper. Import all of relevant sources of contest QSOs into this new log, with duplicate checking enabled. When you have acquired all contest QSOs, export an ADIF file, open your "normal" log, and import the ADIF file you just exported. To avoid future confusion. delete the log you created to assemble your contest QSOs.

4. Have DXK generate the Cabrillo file (after I tag each of the relevant QSOs with a CONTEST ID).

+ That's unlikely to work. DXKeeper's ability to generate a Cabrillo file depends on your logging exchange information as prescribed in the contest's entry in the table in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Contesting.htm>

+ It's unlikely that the QSOs imported from N1MM and WSJT-X conform to these requirements. You may be able to put things in the right place using the "Modify QSOs" function; if you attempt this, be sure to backup your log before trying (Configuration window, Log tab, Backup button).

Do I need any sort of special ADIF header for the carved-out ADIF files from the WSJT-X logs (I notice that the N1MM+ ADIF header includes a Contest Name)? Or can I just get by with a null header, <EOH> and <EOR>?

+ A one-character header followed by <EOH> will certainly be sufficient. Each ADIF record must be terminated with <EOR>

Walter Miller, AJ6T