Dx lab dxkeeper feature suggestion request

Bill Pence

Dave,
I am the satellite op with FT847 trying to get log freq populated in dxkeeper.

I had tried vspe to connect both commander and satpc32 and while both connect, commander does not read the 2 vfo's.  you explained that the 847 did not support reading both vfo.

( curiously, there are posts on #amsat bb that seem to indicate it used to work but...)

Is it possible to have dxkeeper populate a satellite qso with the freq from the last qso on the selected satellite?
Is that a thing I can do or is it a new dxkeeper feature and is it worth the dev time?

Thanks!
KI4US

I am the satellite op with FT847 trying to get log freq populated in dxkeeper.

I had tried vspe to connect both commander and satpc32 and while both connect, commander does not read the 2 vfo's. you explained that the 847 did not support reading both vfo. ( curiously, there are posts on #amsat bb that seem to indicate it used to work but...)

+ The use of VSPE to enable both Commander and SatPC32 to simultaneously control your FT-847 is an invalid configuration.

+ Yaesu's FT-847 documentation is ludicrously cryptic. It mentions 3 "read frequency" operations:

1. Read MAIN VFO frequency and mode status

2. Read SAT RX VFO frequency and mode status

3. Read SAT TX VFO frequency and mode status

+ Commander does not currently support the FT-847's "Satellite Mode". Given the poor documentation, that won't change unless Yaesu loans me a radio for a day or two.

Bill Pence

I understand, and the radio is old besides...

What I was asking was could dxkeeper auto populate the rx/tx freqs from the last logged qso on this satellite...
This way, once I log a qso on satellite (x), each subsequent qso on that sat gets the "inherited" freq from last time on this sat...

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 4:26 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Looking over the 847 cat commands on page 92 of the 847 user guide,
The only thing I see missing is a way to query sat mode status...
But I think this:
Sending opcode 0x03 gets main vfo
Sending opcode 0x13 gets sat rx vfo data
Sending opcode 0x23 gets sat rx vfo data...
Should get the needed data, except for figuring out if the radio is actually in sat mode.

I wonder what the sat vfo read returns if not in sat mode? Maybe 00 00 00 00 or main vfo freq?

Since in sat mode, DX commander is passive, it just needs freq data for both vfo's for logging.

We use vspe with n1mm and wsjt-x for contest
(This was before the interface from n1mm to wsjt...)
Since n1mm is "passive" in this case. We have not had conflicts.

Take this discussion off list?

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 5:22 PM Bill Pence via Groups.Io <pence.bill=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2019-09-06 5:54 PM, Bill Pence wrote:
We use vspe with n1mm and wsjt-x for contest
(This was before the interface from n1mm to wsjt...)
Since n1mm is "passive" in this case. We have not had conflicts.
Unlike N1MM+ and wsjt-x where N1MM+ suspends its polling and
accepts frequency from wsjt-x, Commander is *never* "passive" -
Commander is *always* polling for frequency, s-meter, etc.

Dave, as an alternative to "Sat mode" support for the FT-847, you
might want to consider a "SatPC32" transceiver (that would provide
a generic satellite support). Two clips from the web site:

Further, the program provides a constantly active DDE interface,
which allows third-party-programs to receive the antenna positions,
frequencies and modes calculated by SatPC32.
The frequency- and mode-control works with the following radios:
Yaesu transceivers FT-736R, FT-847, FT-817, FT-857 and FT-897,
Kenwood transceivers TS-790E/A and TS-2000,
ICOM transceivers IC-820, IC-821, IC-910H und IC-9100,
ICOM receivers and transmitters, that work with the same cat protocol
(i.e. IC-275, IC-475).
DDE documentation <http://www.dk1tb.de/manual_e.htm#RemoteControl> (such
as it is) is in the Documents page with demo code in the download.

Any questions can probably be answered by DK1TB:
<http://www.dk1tb.de/indexeng.htm>

gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

+ That would be inconsistent with "DXKeeper logs the frequency and mode reported by Commander". Exceptions increase perceived complexity.

Looking over the 847 cat commands on page 92 of the 847 user guide, The only thing I see missing is a way to query sat mode status...

+ A description of "Satellite Mode" is missing.

But I think this:
Sending opcode 0x03 gets main vfo
Sending opcode 0x13 gets sat rx vfo data Sending opcode 0x23 gets sat rx vfo data...
Should get the needed data, except for figuring out if the radio is actually in sat mode.

I wonder what the sat vfo read returns if not in sat mode? Maybe 00 00 00 00 or main vfo freq?

Since in sat mode, DX commander is passive, it just needs freq data for both vfo's for logging.

+ I'm unwilling to spend weeks sending you new versions of Commander to test in order to answer questions like those above via trial and error.

We use vspe with n1mm and wsjt-x for contest (This was before the interface from n1mm to wsjt...) Since n1mm is "passive" in this case. We have not had conflicts.

+ Two applications controlling the same radio means that one application can change the radio's state without the other radio knowing about it, the result will be erroneous. For example:

1. App 1: select VFO A

2. App 2: select VFO B

3. App 1: report current VFO's frequency

+ In the above sequence, App 1 expects to receive VFO A's frequency, but it will actually receive VFO B's frequency.

Take this discussion off list?

+ There is nothing to discuss. I will only extend Commander to support the FT-847's Satellite mode if Yeasu either sends me competent CAT documentation, or loans me an FT-847 for a day.

Unlike N1MM+ and wsjt-x where N1MM+ suspends its polling and accepts frequency from wsjt-x, Commander is *never* "passive" - Commander is *always* polling for frequency, s-meter, etc.

+ That's necessary to track TX meters like SWR and RF Power output.

Dave, as an alternative to "Sat mode" support for the FT-847, you might want to consider a "SatPC32" transceiver (that would provide a generic satellite support). Two clips from the web site:

Further, the program provides a constantly active DDE interface, which
allows third-party-programs to receive the antenna positions,
frequencies and modes calculated by SatPC32.
The frequency- and mode-control works with the following radios:

Yaesu transceivers FT-736R, FT-847, FT-817, FT-857 and FT-897,

Kenwood transceivers TS-790E/A and TS-2000,

ICOM transceivers IC-820, IC-821, IC-910H und IC-9100,

ICOM receivers and transmitters, that work with the same cat protocol
(i.e. IC-275, IC-475).
DDE documentation <http://www.dk1tb.de/manual_e.htm#RemoteControl> (such as it is) is in the Documents page with demo code in the download.

+ I don't see either DDE documentation or demo code in the URL you've cited.

* More AA6YQ comments below

snip<

[...]

* I found the DDE documentation further down in the document you cited, and I found the DDE demo in the SatPC32 folder on my Windows 10 test system. SatPC32 will not control either my IC-706 or my IC-7200 -- neither of which is a Satellite radio. The DDE demo says "connected to SatPC32", but "**NO SATELLITE**" -- even though SatPC32 shows AO-73 selected in the upper-left corner of its Main window.

* From what I've seen of its user interface and documentation, SatPC32 looks like a poor choice as the satellite tracker with which DXLab interoperates.

Bill Pence

I'm open to suggestions of other sat tracking options that work with dxlabs packages...

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019, 12:37 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
* More AA6YQ comments below

>snip<

Dave, as an alternative to "Sat mode" support for the FT-847, you might want to consider a "SatPC32" transceiver (that would provide a generic satellite support).  Two clips from the web site:

> Further, the program provides a constantly active DDE interface, which
> allows third-party-programs to receive the antenna positions,
> frequencies and modes calculated by SatPC32.

> The frequency- and mode-control works with the following radios:
>
> Yaesu transceivers FT-736R, FT-847,   FT-817, FT-857 and FT-897,
>
> Kenwood transceivers TS-790E/A and TS-2000,
>
> ICOM transceivers IC-820, IC-821,  IC-910H und IC-9100,
>
> ICOM receivers and transmitters, that work with the same cat protocol
> (i.e. IC-275, IC-475).

DDE documentation <http://www.dk1tb.de/manual_e.htm#RemoteControl> (such as it is) is in the Documents page with demo code in the download.

+ I don't see either DDE documentation or demo code in the URL you've cited.

* I found the DDE documentation further down in the document you cited, and I found the DDE demo in the SatPC32 folder on my Windows 10 test system. SatPC32 will not control either my IC-706 or my IC-7200 -- neither of which is a Satellite radio. The DDE demo says "connected to SatPC32", but "**NO SATELLITE**" -- even though SatPC32 shows AO-73 selected in the upper-left corner of its Main window.

* From what I've seen of its user interface and documentation, SatPC32 looks like a poor choice as the satellite tracker with which DXLab interoperates.

I'm open to suggestions of other sat tracking options that work with dxlabs packages...

+ The question is whether there's a "better" satellite tracking application that's suited to interoperation with DXLab along the lines that Joe W4TV suggested earlier in this thread.