From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> on behalf of David Reed <w5sv.dave@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2019 9:24 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io>
Subject: [DXLab] Trouble from windows update

early this morning, Windows tried to install (but failed) 2019-07
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems
(KB4507435).

As a result, I have lost my virtual com ports...

in Device Manager, under USB controllers, they show as USB Serial
Converter (with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside it),
and have the correct driver loaded, but somehow they are not working,
not findable in the config for DXLab Commander, and so I am at a loss
what to do /change / fix next...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & 73 de Dave, W5SV

g4wjs

On 20/07/2019 15:24, David Reed wrote:
early this morning, Windows tried to install (but failed) 2019-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4507435).

As a result, I have lost my virtual com ports...

in Device Manager, under USB controllers, they show as USB Serial Converter (with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside it), and have the correct driver loaded, but somehow they are not working, not findable in the config for DXLab Commander, and so I am at a loss what to do /change / fix next...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & 73 de Dave, W5SV
Hi Dave,

often deleting the offending device from Device Manager then restarting to get the drivers automatically reinstalled sorts things like this out.

Bill

G4WJS.

David Reed

Thanks, that did it!

On 7/20/2019 15:16, g4wjs wrote:

Hi Dave,

often deleting the offending device from Device Manager then restarting to get the drivers automatically reinstalled sorts things like this out.

w6de

Dave, w5sv, To prevent this from happening in the future disable driver updates in Windows update using group policy.
Instruction are here:
https://pureinfotech.com/exclude-driver-updates-windows-10/
Scroll down to "How to prevent Windows Update from installing driver updates using Group Policy"

Dave, w6de

early this morning, Windows tried to install (but failed) 2019-07
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems
(KB4507435).

As a result, I have lost my virtual com ports...

in Device Manager, under USB controllers, they show as USB Serial
Converter (with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside it),
and have the correct driver loaded, but somehow they are not working,
not findable in the config for DXLab Commander, and so I am at a loss
what to do /change / fix next...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & 73 de Dave, W5SV

Russ Ravella

Hello,
Thank you for this!  There is another item on this page titled:  "
How to prevent Windows Update from installing driver updates using Registry”.  Should this step be performed as well?

Thanks,
Russ, KR6W

On Jul 20, 2019, at 3:07 PM, w6de <w6de@...> wrote:

[...]

Nope, just select one way to stop the updates.   Usually regedit is for serious system administration use and a mistake there can easily break windows.  Of course, you can make mistakes in Group Policy editing too, but there are more functions that over time that you may use group policy to change.  For instance: setting the network time sync more frequently.

73,

Dave, w6de