Topics

Flex has released SmartSDR 2.5.1 and SmartSDR 3.0.27

Dave AA6YQ

I tested SmartSDR 2.5.0 (never publicly released) with Commander 14.0.8, which was publicly released on May 28.

I've been using SmartSDR 3.0.25 (never publicly released) with Commander 14.0.8; it has performed flawlessly.

Today, Flex publicly released SmartSDR 2.5.1 and SmartSDR 3.0.27. I have successfully made a few FT8 QSOs with each release. In both
cases, I initially encountered a failure of my 6500 to activate my amplifier, which I worked around by setting the Transmit Profile
selector to SO2R_TX1. I've also observed a couple of instances of "spontaneous disconnection" between Commander and SmartSDR,
followed by an automatic reconnection; I'll be adding some diagnostics to Commander to track down the root cause of this behavior.

Note that Commander 14.0.8 still works correctly with SmartSDR 2.4.9.

And keep in mind the first principle of modern software engineering: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tom Denio

I upgraded? to v2.5.1 on my 6500.

Upgrade went smoothly, I haven't (yet) seen the issues you are having using Commander 14.0.8 and v2.5.1.

This "TX/MIC Profile Changes: All settings are now saved automatically as the settings are changed.", imo, is stupid. Someone else may, but I see no need/purpose for it. Other than to screw up my settings. Yes I can import my settings again. Why?

I know that isn't a DXLab's issue. I've already vented in the SSDR forum. :-)

If an issue pops up with DXLabs I'll post it.

73, Tom
N5MOA

Kent Olsen

I wish I could say that my upgrade from 2.4.9 to 2.5.1 went ok, but it did not. Nothing to do with DXLab yet.

The upgrade screwed up the names for the DAX devices so I had to go thru and change them. All works well now. I will let you know if I have any disconnects from Commander.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM Tom Denio via Groups.Io <n5moa=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I upgraded? to v2.5.1 on my 6500.

Upgrade went smoothly, I haven't (yet) seen the issues you are having using Commander 14.0.8 and v2.5.1.

  This "TX/MIC Profile Changes: All settings are now saved automatically as the settings are changed.", imo, is stupid. Someone else may, but I see no need/purpose for it. Other than to screw up my settings. Yes I can import my settings again. Why?

I know that isn't a DXLab's issue. I've already vented in the SSDR forum. :-)

If an issue pops up with DXLabs I'll post it.

73, Tom
N5MOA

Kent Olsen

Dave

I think I had a disconnect from Commander while using WSJT-X. I went to transmit and it would not. I then hit Tune on WSJT-X and after a brief hesitation, it started to transmit.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 6:46 PM Kent Olsen via Groups.Io <kilo6dko=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

+ Yes, that's the sort of behavior I've seen with both SmartSDR v2.5.1 and v3.0.27. I did not see it with v2.5.0 or v3.0.25.

Kent Olsen

I may have found the problem. There is a new setting in SSDR.

In SSDR click on settings then "TX Band Settings". On mine, the box for 20m "PTT Inhibit" was checked. It was the only one checked. I don't know why.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:08 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I think I had a disconnect from Commander while using WSJT-X. I went to transmit and it would not. I then hit Tune on WSJT-X and after a brief hesitation, it started to transmit.

+ Yes, that's the sort of behavior I've seen with both SmartSDR v2.5.1 and v3.0.27. I did not see it with v2.5.0 or v3.0.25.

w6de

This may not be a Flex related problem.  I see something like this once in a while with my Icom 7600 on FT8.  The symptoms are the radio goes into transmit but no tones are sent—to me that seems to implicate WSJTX.  While I think it only happens on a new QSO initiation, it is so infrequent that I haven’t been able to figure out with any certainty the pattern to when/why it happens.

73,

Dave, w6de

[...]

+ I've also seen that with my 7800. The radio switches from RX to TX, but no tones are transmitted.

+ Bill G4WJS, is there a way to identify the cause of this behavior?

Jeffrey griffin

I've been seeing the same thing for almost the last year or so with 2 different computers all running WIN10, and 4 different radios. A Flex 6500, Flex VU5K, Elecraft K3, and an Icom IC-9100. I simply shut down WSJT-X and bring it back up again. That fixes it for awhile...

73 Jeff kb2m

This may not be a Flex related problem. I see something like this once in a while with my Icom 7600 on FT8. The symptoms are the radio goes into transmit but no tones are sent—to me that seems to implicate WSJTX. While I think it only happens on a new QSO initiation, it is so infrequent that I haven’t been able to figure out with any certainty the pattern to when/why it happens.

+ I've also seen that with my 7800. The radio switches from RX to TX, but no tones are transmitted.

+ Bill G4WJS, is there a way to identify the cause of this behavior?

w6de

It happened for me with Windows-7 and also on Windows-10 after I upgraded.

Dave, w6de