Database File Fails to Open

Edward C Deichler <k2te@...>

Microsoft did an update last night and apparently screwed up the database
file. When reloading DXLab this morning, I get an error message that the
program failed to open the database and proceeds to open a blank log.
This has happened a couple times before but I don't remember the
procedure to recover my log.

73 de Ed

Drink This Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
Diet Insider
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5d00da9d998955a9d30ccst02vuc

g4wjs

On 12/06/2019 11:56, Edward C Deichler wrote:
Microsoft did an update last night and apparently screwed up the database
file. When reloading DXLab this morning, I get an error message that the
program failed to open the database and proceeds to open a blank log.
This has happened a couple times before but I don't remember the
procedure to recover my log.

73 de Ed
Hi Ed,

I and others get this regularly because we have the log file in a directory managed by Dropbox, going to Config->Log and pushing the Open button always successfully opens the log and everything is fine from then on. You may have a similar issue.

Bill

G4WJS.

Microsoft did an update last night and apparently screwed up the database file. When reloading DXLab this morning, I get an error
message that the program failed to open the database and proceeds to open a blank log.
This has happened a couple times before but I don't remember the procedure to recover my log.

+ What pathname is specified in the "Log file" panel at the top of the Log tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window?

Edward C Deichler <k2te@...>

Bill,

Been there, done that, no dice. It still fails to open the log.

Ed

Drink This Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
Diet Insider
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5d01255d356c1255d19bdst02vuc

Tom Schaefer NY4I

I’m glad the DropBox issue is not just me. It’s quite odd that with no updates of the file in the interim, just a simple open in config is successful where the open 5 seconds earlier when the program starts fails.

Principal Solutions Architect
Better Software Solutions, Inc.
727-437-2771

Jens Zander SM0HEV

Have had this Dropbox problem for a year ... starting DX Keeper or switching log files (between my regular call an contest calls) usually requires a few tries.
I learned to live with this, but now DX keeper spontaneously hangs at times.  The Error log says "failure to open file" or something similar. Pausing Dropbox sync seems to be quick & dirty fix, though.

Any Dropbox solution in sight, Dave ?
--
SM0HEV/Jens

Have had this Dropbox problem for a year ... starting DX Keeper or switching log files (between my regular call an contest calls) usually requires a few tries.
I learned to live with this, but now DX keeper spontaneously hangs at times. The Error log says "failure to open file" or something similar. Pausing Dropbox sync seems to be quick & dirty fix, though.

Any Dropbox solution in sight, Dave ?

+ Not unless DropBox decides to "open source" their code base so I can see what they are doing.

+ For the record, DXLab applications were never designed to use cloud storage applications like DropBox. Such applications were developed with the claim that they are "transparent", meaning that any application that correctly uses Windows functions to open/read/write/close files should work correctly when these functions are invoked on files hosted by DropBox. It can be technically challenging to provide this transparency for files containing databases, especially given that DropBox attempts to synchronized changes among multiple copies of a file.

+ Some users report success using DropBox to maintain their DXKeeper log files so they can operate from different network-connected physical locations without first copying their log file from one computer to another. Other users report problems when using DropBox to host their log file(s).

+ My advice: if it's not working reliably, avoid it.

+ Note: using DropBox to host your DXKeeper log backups (and TQSL backups) is highly recommended. No one has ever reported a problem with this usage scenario, and it provides easy off-site backup of your logged QSOs.

Carl - WC4H

Alternatively, you can keep the file in it's original location and place a sym link in the Dropbox folder.  The updates to dropbox may not be as reliable.

OR... you can put a sym link in the orginal location to the file in the dropbox folder.  I think this lets it update dropbox more reliably.

At any rate, you can play with it to get the best setup.

73.,
Carl - WC4H