Excess DXKeeper files in C:/DXLab/DXKeeper

Mark W2OR <reston2010mm-orders@...>

EXCESS  DXKEEPER  FILES.   Screen Shots and Notes below

     I'd be interested to know what others have done in the way of pruning some of the unnecessary files in C:/DXLab/DXKeeper.

     In line of background, in this old, 11-year old main computer here, inside the  C:/DXLab/DXKeeper files, there appears to be an overabundance of useless files.  These include 129 large, separate DXKeeper.exe files.  These .exe files range from the earliest, created in Year 2008 with 6800 KB, to the latest DXKeeper.exe file, created 3.15.2019, with 13,800 KB.  There are 129 of these large files, and I have no idea what setting has allowed their repeated creation.  As an aside, DXKeeper is open and closed about once each week; the start process takes about 50 seconds before the main log appears.  Having so many large .exe files is worrisome to me.  As you can probably tell from this writing, I'm not computer literate, and so not sure what's going on.   (I've created screen shots of the beginning, and the end, of this large DXKeeper file.)  It would be good to know what can be deleted of these .exe files, and what should stay.   Or perhaps do a log backup, remove most everything in DXKeeper, then re-install from scratch for a fresh start.  If there's a setting or two to be changed, to prevent the creation of further unnecessary files, that would be good to know.   I'd be interested in what other have done.   Thanks.

W9MR Mike

These files are a result of the upgrade process of the applications in DX Lab Suite. Which is detailed here.

You definitely do not need to keep that many of the previous versions, but you probably want to keep at least the previous 2-3, in case there was a regression in a version that you need to go back to correct.

You should not go through the process of uninstalling/fresh install to clean these files.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 1:47 PM Mark W2OR via Groups.Io <reston2010mm-orders=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

+ The current public version of DXKeeper is 14.8.5

+ If you inspect your DXKeeper folder, you will find the files

DXKeeper.exe

and

DXKeeper1485.exe

+ These two files are identical. When you direct the Launcher to start DXKeeper, it will run the file DXKeeper.exe

+ When the next version of DXKeeper becomes available - say 14.9.0 - then when you direct the Launcher to upgrade DXKeeper, it will

1. delete the existing DXKeeper.exe

2. download the file DXKeeper1490.exe into your DXKeeper folder

3. make a copy of DXKeeper1490.exe and name that copy DXKeeper.exe

+ Thus DXKeeper.exe always contains the current version of DXKeeper, which is what the Launcher invokes when you direct it to start DXKeeper.

+ Note that after upgrading to DXKeeper 14.9.0, the file DXKeeper1485.exe remains in your DXKeeper folder. This is intentional; why? because despite our best efforts, DXKeeper 14.9.0 may fail when you attempt to start it, or may contain a latent defect that interferes with your operation. To prevent such an event from impeding your DXing, you can immediately revert to DXKeeper 14.8.5 by performing these actions in your DXKeeper folder:

A. delete the file DXKeeper.exe

B. make a copy of the file DXKeeper1485.exe and name this copy DXKeeper.exe

+ Now when you direct the Launcher to start DXKeeper, it will start DXKeeper 14.8.5.

+ This approach leaves a "trail" of old versions of DXKeeper executables in your DXKeeper folder. How many of these you keep is up to you. My recommendation is to retain the last two versions that you've been using and delete the rest. You can do this pruning after each DXKeeper upgrade, or monthly, or annually.

+ Note that the process described above for DXKeeper also applies to the other 7 DXLab applications.

+ Extending the DXLab Launcher to automate the old version pruning process ("retain the most recent X versions of each DXLab applications") is on the list, but not imminent.

Mark W2OR <reston2010mm-orders@...>

Thank you, Dave.  And thank you, Mike.   This is helpful,and quite educational, especially the lengthy background explanations.

I have now pruned all but the main unnumbered .exe and two of the more recent .exe app revisions, for all seven DXLab apps.  I'm stuck on one remaining question before I do anything further :

The main unnumbered SpotCollector.exe and two of the more recent SC .exe revisions, are not in the SC Folder where they should be found, rather, they are in the main C:\DXLab  folder.  Searching further, I found inside the regular SC Folder two very old SpotCollector .exe updates, dated from years 2006 and 2010.  So, before I go ahead and delete the old 2006 / 2010 updates, and then move the other three .exe from C:\DXLab to C:\DXLab\SpotCollector, thought it a good idea to check with the experts.  Thanks.

Mark W2OR <reston2010mm-orders@...>

More progress made here.  Thanks.

Continuing from the last update, those mis-placed SpotCollector.exe app files (see last note) have now been moved back into the SpotCollector Folder where they belonged.  Also made the corresponding change in DXLab Launcher to reflect the change for SC.exe location.  Things appear to be back to 'normal'.

Thanks again and 73, Dave.
de Mark
.w2or