Topics

DXK QSO distance

Andy k3wyc <a.durbin@...>

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ Which application was used to log this new QSO?
JTAlertX, and now I see what is happening.    I loaded the backup dxk log I had created before the distance computation and find that distance is populated, presumably by JTAlertX, for WSJT-X QSO for which a grid was logged.  I had not noticed this before as I didn't have distance displayed in the log page display.  The DXK distance computation would have refined the distance for confirmations that included a 6 character grid and hopefully would have come up with the same answer for 4 character grids.

Thanks and 73,
Andy, k3wyc

I wanted to know if my recent QSO with Mauritius Island was the longest distance QSO with my 40 m attic dipole. I followed the instructions <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance> to populate path with "S" and then computed the distances. It turned out that a previous QSO with Reunion was reported as being a couple of miles longer. Everything worked as I had expected.

Today I noticed that new QSO which include a grid show a path distance even though propagation/antenna/path is blank. How is path distance being computed for these QSO without needing me to set the path and force a distance compute? In other words - if the distance can be computed now then why wasn't it for all the previous QSO? Just curious, it's not a problem.

+ Which application was used to log this new QSO?

Andy k3wyc <a.durbin@...>

I wanted to know if my recent QSO with Mauritius Island was the longest distance QSO with my 40 m attic dipole.   I followed the  instructions  to populate path with "S" and then computed the distances.  It turned out that a previous QSO with Reunion was reported as being a couple of miles longer.   Everything worked as I had expected.

Today I noticed that new QSO which include a grid show a path distance even though propagation/antenna/path is blank.   How is path distance being computed for these QSO without needing me to set the path and force a distance compute?   In other words - if the distance can be computed now then why wasn't it for all the previous QSO?  Just curious, it's not a problem.

73,
Andy, k3wyc