Topics

Commander and N1MM

Yes - works just fine. It would be perfect if Commander would only pass the RIT reset command through to the connected transceiver via the secondary CAT port. Any chance of that?

+ That's a slippery slope. The purpose of Commander Secondary CAT port is to support frequency and mode tracking. If I extend this to better support N1MM for one transceiver model, I'll eventually have to extend it to support every transceiver model.

+ How would your needs not be satisfied by using the N1MM-DXKeeper bridge and letting N1MM exclusively control the transceiver?

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm>

I'm using VSP Manager from K5FR. If you're a licensed ham, k5FR will send you a free copy. You could also use VSPE and there are a couple of others as well.

+ Neither of the should be used to connect two transceiver control applications to the same transceiver. They are fine for connecting Commander's Secondary CAT port to another application or to a panadapter or to a receiver.

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2019-04-20 3:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ The only way to have more than one application control the same transceiver is by using a CAT port sharing application. I'm only aware of two reliable implementations of CAT port sharing:
Win4IcomSuite and Win4YaesuSuite:

<https://icom.va2fsq.com/>

<https://yaesu.va2fsq.com/>
Also Win4K3Suite for Elecraft K3, K3S, KX3 and KX2 ...

https://va2fsq.com/

On 2019-04-20 3:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I'm sure I'm missing something either in DXLabs docs or in the 900 page N1MM manual. Today I installed N1MM according to their instructions but when I tried to run N1MM with the DXLab Suite running, up popped the error message that "COM4 is in use by another program". That's very true and obviously N1MM and Commander can't share. So the question is, how does one get around this situation? WSJT seems to handle it by allowing Commander to do the controlling but that option doesn't seem to be available in N1MM. I have a suspicion that this is just the beginning of the challenge or running N1MM with DXLab. I've got the Gateway installed but that seems to address a different operation.
Thanks for any daylight Dave or another user can shed to get me started down the path.
+ The only way to have more than one application control the same transceiver is by using a CAT port sharing application. I'm only aware of two reliable implementations of CAT port sharing: Win4IcomSuite and Win4YaesuSuite:
<https://icom.va2fsq.com/>
<https://yaesu.va2fsq.com/>
+ LP Bridge claims to provide this capability for Elecraft radios, but has proven to be unreliable.
+ Low-level port sharing applications like com0com are ignorant of CAT protocols, and thus cannot be used for this purpose.
+ Why do you want to run DXLab and N1MM simultaneously?
+ During contests, many ops run DXKeeper, and use the N1MM-DXKeeper bridge so that QSOs are logged to N1MM are also logged to DXKeeper.
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm>
+ You can also run DXLab components like SpotCollector, DXView, and PropView in parallel with N1MM, though any function dependent on Commander running will not be available.

Floyd - K8AC

Yes - works just fine.   It would be perfect if Commander would only pass the RIT reset command through to the connected transceiver via the secondary CAT port.  Any chance of that?

Floyd - K8AC

I'm using VSP Manager from K5FR.  If you're a licensed ham, k5FR will send you a free copy.  You could also use VSPE and there are a couple of others as well.

Chris

Good info, Rich, thanks. That will be another layer in the operation.

Chris NØCC

On Apr 20, 2019, at 3:23 PM, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

If you are specifically interested in doing FT8 from WSJT-X with N1MM+ doing the logging (contest operation), I suggest you consult <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=WSJT-X+Decode+List&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation>, and in particular FAQ 5.1. This is probably not worth the bother for normal non-contest operation, but during a contest the duplicate and multiplier checking from N1MM+ is very worthwhile.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 02:43 PM, Chris wrote:
I'm sure I'm missing something either in DXLabs docs or in the 900 page N1MM manual.  Today I installed N1MM according to their instructions but when I tried to run N1MM with the DXLab Suite running, up popped the error message that "COM4 is in use by another program".  That's very true and obviously N1MM and Commander can't share.  So the question is, how does one get around this situation?  WSJT seems to handle it by allowing Commander to do the controlling but that option doesn't seem to be available in N1MM.  I have a suspicion that this is just the beginning of the challenge or running N1MM with DXLab.  I've got the Gateway installed but that seems to address a different operation.

Thanks for any daylight Dave or another user can shed to get me started down the path.

Chris NØCC

ve3ki

[...]

Hi Chris. I run the two together with no problems. I first set up a pair of virtual com ports to provide a path between N1MM and DXLab Commander. In my case, the pair is COM14 and COM15. COM14 is defined in N1MM Configure ports as a TS-480 with parameters 38400,N,8,1. Enable both HW and SW PTT is checked. COM15 is then defined in Commander config as the Secondary CAT Port with same parameters. Check the enable box. Choose Kenwood as rig protocol. Select "follow and lead primary". That path allows N1MM to access the frequency info from Commander. One thing not supported that way: if you have a macro in N1MM to set the transceiver RIT to zero, that is not passed to Commander and will be lost.

+ This is the first I've heard that N1MM will happily run when connected to Commander's Secondary CAT port.

Chris

Dave,

Excuse me while I execute a classic dope slap. Ha. I was just assuming that since DXKeeper was doing the logging, I would be using the whole suite.  Back to the drawing board, enlightened.  Thanks a million.

Chris NØCC

On Apr 20, 2019, at 3:06 PM, Chris <clcarson@...> wrote:

Floyd,

That looks like a pretty clean method. What virtual port software are you using? I’m running Win10 on the station computer,

Chris NØCC

On Apr 20, 2019, at 2:59 PM, Floyd Sense <wj@...> wrote:

Hi Chris.  I run the two together with no problems.  I first set up a pair of virtual com ports to provide a path between N1MM and DXLab Commander.  In my case, the pair is COM14 and COM15.  COM14 is defined in N1MM Configure ports as a TS-480 with parameters 38400,N,8,1. Enable both HW and SW PTT is checked.  COM15 is then defined in Commander config as the Secondary CAT Port with same parameters.  Check the enable box.  Choose Kenwood as rig protocol.  Select "follow and lead primary". That path allows N1MM to access the frequency info from Commander.  One thing not supported that way: if you have a macro in N1MM to set the transceiver RIT to zero, that is not passed to Commander and will be lost.

73, Floyd - K8AC

Chris

[...]

Pete Smith

Chris, you need some sort of COM port sharing app.  There are several, but I've had good experience with LP-Bridge by Telepost.  There are a couple of versions so make sure you get the right one for your radio.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.