Topics

Win 10 ?????

Floyd Sense

A clean install is the best thing to do.
Nothing at all wrong with a clean install, but I wouldn't agree that it's the best thing to do.  My Win 10 system started out as a Win 7 system years ago and I've done nothing but upgrades to the system over that time.  I allow Windows to manage the updates and apply them as they come out.  My system is rather complex and in all that time I've had just a single problem and that was a short time ago when an update added the feature of restricting application access to sound cards.  Other than that, there have been zero problems.  I've run most of the common and a few uncommon radio applications with no glitches.  Could be I'm just incredibly lucky, but I think most radio folks are needlessly clinging to the past Windows versions.  It would be interesting to know exactly what the leftover trash is that people often mention.  I routinely manage what's installed on the system and remove any programs I don't want or need and clean the Registry every now and then.

n4qwf .

Thanks Mike, That sounds like a viable solution. I will keep it in mind for the future.

73<<John

Mike Rhodes

John,
  I could be wrong but I don't think the free upgrade to Win10 is available anymore. If not, I would suggest investing in new or reconditioned hardware (including Win10) rather than putting out over $100 for Win10 alone. You can get a reconditioned I5 or I7 based computer, again, with Win10, for a couple hundred dollars. Got my last one thru Walmart and couldn't be happier. I upgraded it to a SSD and maxed the RAM but wouldn't of had to do either.

Mike / W8DN

On 4/19/2019 5:15 PM, n4qwf . wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like a clean install would be the way to go. I will still likely wait until I have no choice but move to Win 10. When Dave says he is still holding on to Win 7 that sure impresses me.

When I got the Flex Radio I set it up using a computer that was built especially for the system. It has always preformed excellently. It has handled PowerSDR, DXLab, WSJT-X, N1MM all running at the same time without issue. I do not use it for email and other internet chores even though it is connected to my in house network and the internet.

I guess for now I will follow the advise "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Thanks <<John N4QWF

KA9JAC

A clean install is the best thing to do.
When doing it as an update, you bring along all the garbage that has been collected over the years.
Even when not changing from 7 or whatever to 10, it is a good plan to occasionally do a clean install
just to clean out the trash.

On 4/19/2019 4:15 PM, n4qwf . wrote:
[...]

Dave AA6YQ

It's fair to say that Windows 10 works well for many amateur radio. However, it has not yet attained "works well for all amateur radio users".

Hopefully it will get there before Microsoft's scheduled end-of-support date for Windows 7.

I'm still using Windows 7 for DXing and DXLab development.

Jamie WW3S

I resisted.....forever.....but needed a new pc and my only option was win10....it wasn’t that bad, I now have fresh installs on all my programs, only loaded what I needed, new ssd drive blows the doors off my old pc.....Dave’s work with dxlab makes it easy to backup all your settings/files ( I used external hard drive) and then just import them to the new pc.....like I said I was one of the guys, but now don’t know what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth was about....

On Apr 19, 2019, at 4:21 PM, Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 2:17 PM Jim Miller, AB3CV <jtmiller47@...> wrote:

My opinion is that the Win10 wailing is wayyyyy overblown. I've updated or clean installed a half dozen machines to Win10 with no big issues. Occasionally need to reset a com port. Updates have never been a problem.

I have no idea why others seem so beset.
My opinion as well. And I say that as someone who has never been a
Microsoft fan (I run OS X and Linux IRL). Now, I will say, that
UPGRADING is something I've never done,with Windows (or Solaris!).
Always a clean install. OS X upgrades have been fine and point
upgrades on Linux (say, CentOS 7.5 to 7.6 but not 6.x to 7.x) have
been fine but I've never trusted MS to do it correctly. But a clean
install of 7 or 10 has never given me issues. XP SP2 and later,
either, for that matter, and I've run all those on my PC at N5UWY.

I must say MS broke their interface with W8/8.1/10 and Classic Shell
fixed that for me. Control of multiple sound cards is another nagging
point with W10 (can be done, but not easily or intuitively). I do my
patch updates myself and wouldn't let any OS handle that chore for me.
Other than those things, no issues with W10 here.

Peter Laws

[...]

Phil & Anne Irons

Hi John...

I don't have a FLEX radio, but I have been running DXLab Suite on WIN 10 for a couple of years, with no problems (fingers crossed!).  However, I have seen several notices, some I believe here on the DXLab reflector, concerning the upcoming withdrawal of support for WIN 7 early next year.  This, of course means no more updates with patches for loopholes in the code, which means that if you are connected to the Internet, your computer will be vulnerable to online trespassers.  It might be 8 months until support disappears, but that gives you some time to convert to Win 10 and fix any problems you might find with it concerning your radio.

73 & GL,

Phil/VE1BVD
Sydney, NS

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 3:50 PM n4qwf . <N4QWF@...> wrote:
I have a Flex 5000 radio running on a Win7 computer. Due to the many post about Win 10 update issues I have been adamant about not allowing that computer to update to Win10. Now that the dust has settled I wonder if there are any on going issues. Things are working so nicely with PowerSDR and Dxlab and WSJT-X and N1MM and other software I sure would hate to create myself a mess.

Any reports are very appreciated.

73<<John

--
Phil & Anne Irons
Sydney, Nova Scotia

Jim Miller, AB3CV

My opinion is that the Win10 wailing is wayyyyy overblown. I've updated or clean installed a half dozen machines to Win10 with no big issues. Occasionally need to reset a com port. Updates have never been a problem.

I have no idea why others seem so beset.

73

jim ab3cv