From: Randy Mather [mailto:RandyMather@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:37 AM
To: 'Dave AA6YQ'
Subject: Using DX Labs remotely with Flex

Hi Dave

I am learning the hard way that DX Labs isn't capable of working with SmartSDR running on a Laptop that is connecting to my Flex
6600 remotely.

I did see the article on your WIKI page by KB1VFU that gives information on how to connect DX Labs commander to a Flex remotely.

Haven't got that to work yet, but I am still working on it.

I was just wondering if anything has changed on this subject (remote connection of Commander with FLEX) since that was written. I
have seen some new releases of the SmartSDR and just asking if there is something new in those releases that helps.

Thanks for all you do on DX Labs. Definitely a great tool, or set of tools.

Randy - AJ7B

---
https://www.avg.com

techpubsman

Thanks Dave.

I am trying to use the Flex in a remote connection to demonstrate to my club
and during our Ham training sessions different aspects of Ham Radio. If I
can get DX Labs to work remotely with the Flex I can demonstrate RTTY, PSK
31, and even WSJT-X (FT8).

I'll keep plugging away with what I got now. See how far I can get.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Randy - AJ7B

Months ago, I asked Flex personnel for a description of how to connect to a
remote Flex transceiver via SmartLink. I have yet to receive a response.

I am learning the hard way that DX Labs isn't capable of working with
SmartSDR running on a Laptop that is connecting to my Flex
6600 remotely.

I did see the article on your WIKI page by KB1VFU that gives information on
how to connect DX Labs commander to a Flex remotely.

Haven't got that to work yet, but I am still working on it.

I was just wondering if anything has changed on this subject (remote
connection of Commander with FLEX) since that was written. I have seen some
new releases of the SmartSDR and just asking if there is something new in
those releases that helps.

Thanks for all you do on DX Labs. Definitely a great tool, or set of tools.

Randy - AJ7B

---
https://www.avg.com

Ron Rosson

It has been a few months (7/2018) since I have had a look at a relative’s flex 6500. My last recollection was that you could only do Phone and CW (CWX) with the flex over Flex’s smartlink.

--
73 de KF5JRA
Ron

On Mar 28, 2019, at 12:42 PM, techpubsman <RandyMather@...> wrote:

[...]

lbenoit@...

Hi Randy,

While DX Lab Suite will not work directly over Smartlink, it will work in parallel with Smartlink via a TCP/IP connection to the remote Flex radio. See this Wiki article for setup:   https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RemoteControlFlexSignature

Also, Smart DAX (complements Smartlink) supports digital modes. I use Fldigi and WSJT-X and both work well for remote ops.    In my experience the internet connection should be able to sustain at least 3 mbps for reliable digital modes.

Good luck and 73,
Larry KB1VFU

Kent Olsen

Dave

They will be at Visalia and Gerald is usually there. You could get you answer in person.

Kent
N6WT

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019, 10:17 Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
[...]

Al Groff

Although the Flex 6xxx will not work via Smartlink, you can configure a COMport in SSDR/CAT/Smartlink and then select Kenwood TS200 or TS480 for the radio and the remote flex will understand

AL, K0VM

On 3/28/2019 1:42 PM, techpubsman wrote:
[...]

+ I've known Gerald (FlexRadio President) since the SDR-1000 days, when I purchased one of their radios in order to provide DXLab support. He's aware of the recent difficulties involving the lack of SmartLink documentation and the defects in SmartSDR callsign rendering -- which I think I've worked around but can't know for sure because Flex still hasn't investigated. A conversation at Visalia won't help; only documentation and defect repairs will help.

+ I don't know what Flex is working on, but from my perspective they have lost interest in product quality. I'm happy with my 6500, but I will not upgrade or consider acquiring another Flex radio until things demonstrably change.